The Major League Baseball Thread

Hubert

Reaction score
And the deadline comes and goes. Dempster surprisingly to the Rangers. And it looks like my team and your team were close to trading Chad Qualls for Casey McGehee, we're still waiting for confirmation of whether or not they got it through.

EDIT: It did go through.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Not sure what to make of the McGehee pickup. I suppose he's all right for a few weeks, but I don't think he's that huge an improvement over Chavez. Figure this means that Sanchez is probably going to start for the Pirates (can Snider play any first?).

The Rangers needed a starter since Lewis went down, Dempster was definitely the best they could do. The AL West should be fun for the rest of the season.

Hubert

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Snider can play first...but I would imagine that Gaby Sanchez and Garrett Jones are going to be splitting playing time at first. Tonight Snider is starting in right field, I'm imagining that between the Sanchez will spend time at first, Snider spend time in right, and Jones just jump back and forth when needed.

I don't know much about Chad Qualls...it seems like over the past few years he's hasn't been his old self. At least he'll be someone to help out the bullpen now that Brad Lincoln's gone.

jgidley

Reaction score
I've felt like Statler and Waldorf heckling the Phillies this year
W: Oh! Oh!
S: What's the matter?
W: It's either this team or indigestion. I hope it's indigestion.
S: Why's that?
W: Because indigestion will get better in a while!
Both: Ah-ha-ha-ha!

Hubert

Reaction score
So apparently Carlos Lee was headed to the Yankees...but Lee wouldn't waive his no trade clause. The Marlins are desperate to get rid of them...I think they may try to trade him through waivers in August.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I cannot think of any reason why the Yankees would want Carlos Lee, since he can barely play first anymore, and they have a bunch of DH type guys (Jones, Ibanez, Chavez when not at third). At least McGehee can play first and third.

I'm not sure who will pick up Lee since he's proven to be so picky about where he wants to play, but I doubt he'd make a big difference anyway.

Hubert

Reaction score
AJ Burnett's got a no-no through 6...hopefully he can pull it out.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
And there it goes, but at least they'll definitely win the game.

Hubert

Reaction score
Wonderful performance by AJ Burnett...8 2/3 no hit innings.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
The Texas Rangers called up the pride of Branford, Connecticut, Mike Olt today, which is exciting. It's fun to see a hometown kid make it all the way to the big leagues.

This probably means that Texas is planning to after this season let Josh Hamilton walk and move Adrian Beltre to the outfield so Olt can play third, or maybe they are going to bench Michael Young.