The dark day of Valentines Day is upon us...

Starchamberfall

Reaction score
Valentine's Day is ceratinly O.K. !

I have no wife. I've loved and lost, but it was meant to be. God was opening a beautiful garden to me through it all. That beautiful garden is life today.

I live in the woods. On the rare occasion I go to a city, I see...young women, who have men (who have relationships) but who are alone. They are not getting the love, and it shows. THAT breaks my heart to see.

I think maybe young fellows today don't have the formation to give love, and especially to accept closeness, as they are, as others are. Sometimes I think society is asking more from young people, but giving them less: less formation for the greater maturity one has to have to find their way, but in a civilised fashion...

Here is a great Valentine's song, for sore and other losers :smile: :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-MH9nRSXAg

Happy Valentine's Day!

Life is worth it!

LOVE IS WORTH A MILLION TIMES THE MYSTERY AND PAIN!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yeah I can see how warmer climates would savor snow a bit more. It's not that I don't like snow, I enjoy it, it's just that we're running out of places to put it and it's starting to get dangerous, heh! :concern:
Yeah, I wouldn't say "hog" by any means. I'd say you're all welcome to the dangerous, icy grey leftovers we have. But it's not like anyone has control of the weather by any means. That's like having a drought in one place and a series of flash floods and another and blaming the guy who lost his house to significant water damage. It's nature's sick little joke. Last year, while we got only slightly above normal in snowfall, we had our yearly rainfall in the course of 2 days. It just happens.

Personally, I despise the heck out of snow, even if it's a light coating. Rain bugs me, but I'd rather have a nice clean rain wash away all the uncleaned up dog dookies and dead leaves than a covering snow that has to be piled on top itself time and again. Plus, there's nothing quite like the smell after a light to moderate drizzle on a warm (and I'm talking above 40's warm) day.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think maybe young fellows today don't have the formation to give love, and especially to accept closeness, as they are, as others are. Sometimes I think society is asking more from young people, but giving them less: less formation for the greater maturity one has to have to find their way, but in a civilised fashion...
Nah, the problem with young fellows today is that their senses have been tragically skewed by a corrupted society: most young people (even as young as middle school) today think that concept of "love" is sex. Just sex. I know less and less "young couples" are going to the altar because of the economy, and they can't afford to, BUT, there's another reason as well: because they really don't want to go through the trouble; I've known couples who live together, and have adopted the mindframe that "Oh, we don't need a piece of paper with our names on it, and rings on our fingers to prove that we love ach other". To them, it's easier to just go ahead, move in with each other, and call themselves a "couple", rather than ask the person to see "Will you marry me?", set a date, make plans and preparations, book churches, honeymoon suites, look for dreamhomes, etc. Ironically though, studies and research have shown that couples who live together before marriage (if they do get married), are actually nine times more likely to get divorced than couples who don't. Plus, again, they know moving in together ensures them the naughty stuff whenever they want it, because again, to them, that's what love is all about anymore. Part of the reason why we have so many kids have kids these days, and those kids end up blemishes of our society today, because their "parents" don't want to take responsibility of their actions (in more ways than one), therefore they don't learn a sense of what's right and wrong, and end up in gangs, or the wrong group of friends, because they'll hang out with the first people who are willing to accept them.

I'd say you're all welcome to the dangerous, icy grey leftovers we have. Personally, I despise the heck out of snow, even if it's a light coating.
OMG! It sounds JUST like one of my best friends who lives in Wisconsin! :eek:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Once again, I'll be alone this Valentine's, but I will be enjoying a party with my preschool students. I mean, who needs a date when there are a dozen four year-olds clamoring to hold your hand, dance with you, give hugs, and make you beautiful artwork?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I mean, who needs a date when there are a dozen four year-olds clamoring to hold your hand, dance with you, give hugs, and make you beautiful artwork?
*Little kiddie voice* Mizz Awex? Kin I hold yoo hand, dance wif yoo, gee yoo hugs, dwaw yoo purty pictoors? :wink:

Lol, couldn't help myself, but that sounds like a nice way to spend V-Day.

Canadian Fan

Reaction score
As a single woman myself, it doesn't bother me if other people celebrate Valentine's Day. I celebrate 'Thank Goodness I'm Single Day' instead. I'm 31 and don't want to be bothered getting into a relationship. Some of my relatives think it's awful that I'm not married yet.

The only things I do to get into the spirit is to make Valentine cupcakes for my niece and buy the chocolates the day after Valentine's when they're half price.

beaker

Reaction score
To the folks being glum about being single...isn't being single better than feeling stuck with someone you feel trapped with or incompatible with? Or someone who you have major drama with?

For those who feel excluded/upset about Valentines day, one has to wonder if anyone really takes the holiday seriously. I would say I dislike Halloween a lot more(because I say be weird 365!)

Did you get 70+ inches of snow with most of it permanently frozen to the ground because you haven't had a week of consecutive temperatures above freezing since December? :eek:

I'm not even talking 90's or any of that. Fifties would be great. Heck, Forties at this point seems refreshing. It's TERRIBLE over in my end. We've had a major snowstorm every week in January... we even got 3 big storms last week. Only reason we don't have one this week (though it did ran and snow leaving less than a coating, the least we've seen all year) is because the arctic cold is FINALLY pulling its weight around here and pushing this massive fatso of a storm off shore. otherwise, we'd have another foot on top of 5 foot snow drifts. Seriously, I'm glad we haven't seen a foot of snow in almost a week. There's NO WHERE to put it. It's dangerous around here.

And on top of it, it was ALWAYS heavy wet stuff that brought in arctic air as soon as it left, refreezing it. That's not the funnest thing in the world to dig out of. :embarrassed: And it's all that grey/brown icy stuff too. Ugly to look at, dangerous to jump into to avoid traffic when crossing the street. I haven't been able to walk on a side walk since early January.
It's been somewhat warm where I am in northern california.
Heck I don't think I've seen the snow since I was little, but it's been pretty nice for the last few weeks. I can't imagine what life must be like in Siberia where you are:smile:

Are you kitten me? After last summer where h e l l had risen to the earth? I'm BASKING in our current winter season! I've never experienced cold to this extreme before, it's given me quite a rush! I DO NOT function well in heat... and down here in the Volunteer State, it's hot nine out of twelve months down here, and hearing that Phil the Groundhog DIDN'T see his shadow this year, I ain't cheerful about nothin'.
I think because Dr Tooth lives in the arctic(during winter time) northeast, the idea of any sort of warming up is a much welcomed event.(Guess you have to beware of the icy patch!) But I'm with you, I absolutely can't stand the heat. Sure, I like to be toasty during the colder times; but I just don't do well in the heat. Of course, first it was global warming, now it's global cooling; I'm sure the weather will bounce around from one extreme to the next.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To the folks being glum about being single...isn't being single better than feeling stuck with someone you feel trapped with or incompatible with? Or someone who you have major drama with?
Exactly, being in a relationship doesn't mean you've won the big prize and everything will be rosy forever. Life still goes on.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think because Dr Tooth lives in the arctic(during winter time) northeast, the idea of any sort of warming up is a much welcomed event.(Guess you have to beware of the icy patch!) But I'm with you, I absolutely can't stand the heat. Sure, I like to be toasty during the colder times; but I just don't do well in the heat. Of course, first it was global warming, now it's global cooling; I'm sure the weather will bounce around from one extreme to the next.
I never liked the term "Global Warming." It implies the entire world will get warmer. Now, I don't want any debate about its existence, and if it is man made or natural or both... but global "warming" creates extremes on both sides, be it well above normal temperatures one day or well below normal another. The only constant is stronger storms.

Anyway, I was watching the weather, and this is the explanation of what's going on this year... we're in a La Nina pattern which generally keeps us warm with the cooling of the ocean in another atmosphere. HOWEVER, the warmth was blocked this time by a high pressure front from Greenland which stopped the jet stream from moving much, and best of all, causing all storms to follow those paths in the jet stream to have the SAME exact path... right up the east coast. It even merged 2 weak storms into strong ones, again, which is what happened ALL year.

Suffice to say it kept certain places on the map much much warmer than they should have been, but above that, it was much much colder. We haven't seen such cold for almost 6 years in some cases.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To the folks being glum about being single...isn't being single better than feeling stuck with someone you feel trapped with or incompatible with?
That's why TRUE love starts out as simple friendship.

At least that's what I've been told, and honestly, I feel it makes sense; I had been really good friends with She-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named for a little over a year or so, didn't think anything of her other than a friend, then that one day where suddenly the feelings inside me changed, and since then, I see her in a completely different light, while at the same time, I also still see her as the really good friend she's been since we got acquainted (which was now over a couple of years ago).