The Cave Beyond (One-Shot)

Redsonga

Reaction score
You can never truly leave the magic...ever.
“Remember when, now and then, everything went wrong...and then our friends would sing the friendship song.”

The air in the small enclosure was thin now.

So thin, it drank up the dim hope that had been the last notes of their song.

Now both the dwindling air with its greedy hunger for life, and the caving ceiling, moved as one.

The two fraggles huddled together instinctively.

Their friends had not found them.

Friends always found them.

But the song had ended.

No hope.

No Gobo or Mokey or even Wembley.

No happy ending.

The boulders fell with a razor nailed hand to paint the cavern floor with scarlet.

And yet...and yet...

It was a small thing that darted quickly, the spot of light hardly bigger than a dustmite.

It caught the edge of Boober's sensitive nose, sending his arms and legs into motion in the same instant.

Air. Light. Life...Sweet life.

His unseen large visicious black eyes sped, mole-like after his keen nose, nearly dislocating Red's shoulder as their last bid for freedom gave his body the strength of three.

It was more of a crack than a hole that his fingers clawed at, wiggling all that followed in a single withheld breath.

Boober turned to pull at both the larger fraggle's arms as her middle with its thick fur was fixed fast within the jaws of stone.
Until, with a deafening scream of fright and pain, Red was sent tummbling forward into a rolling heap with Boober.

The ceiling was the floor other and over again as the moss the covered what felt like stairs cushioned their bouncing path downward, and the music of bone hitting rock send the world into a dance of light and roaring winds.

For once in his life Boober was very glad his name meant “Tie 'em to a rock” as the later part of his namesake made a ringing collision with the back of his skull.

“Oow...Red..Red, are you okay?”

Red got up to her knees with slow and painful jerks, shaking her head to still the spinning world.

The cave they were now in was an strange place, honeycombed with entrances to drank trunnels that seemed to head to a tousand paths just beyound veiw to one side.

The other side opened to the wide expanse of a hillside where wild golden grasses whiped, leading of to an endless horizon of forest.

But they both saw none of this.

Boober gasped in shock as Red opened her mouth twice as if to speak and instead dissolved into open tears into his scarf.

“Shh...It does'nt matter. It's safe..it's safe..we're alive...”

Boober's small voice repeated over and over, until it grew into a soft sing-song chant that carried off into the caves beyond.

The two odd colored gelflings huddled together for the warmth of each others being on the hillside, the tallers' pastel yellow wings folded like flower pedels in evening.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... It's definitely got a very moving Fragglian core to it. But the ending... Well, it sort of leads one to wonder if there'll be more to come. If so, I thoroughly welcome it. Thank you for sharing this. *Huggles.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Thank you, it's an idea that has been chewing at the back of my mind for some time now. I will post the question that started it after a few more people read it. I'm not sure if I will write more based on it, but we will see. It's sort of like my Labyrinth one shots, where they could be more. In the case of this I think there is really the start of something fantasy adventure quest-like :smile:. In a Dark Crystal crossover kind of way...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... If you decide to explore that, I wish you the best of success with it.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Wow -- that ending came out of nowhere.... :big_grin:

Boober needs to sue Red for negligence ... this is the second time she's nearly gotten them flattened. :smile:

Redsonga

Reaction score
Wow -- that ending came out of nowhere.... :big_grin:

Boober needs to sue Red for negligence ... this is the second time she's nearly gotten them flattened. :smile:
This is sort of a what if from a different ending of Marooned actually..so it is still just the once...Darn, now I want to write this to :stick_out_tongue:. I bet you guys want to tie me up away for my pencil now *lol*. That's what I get for getting the SE Dark Crystal DVD (which I actually did not first see until I was twenty, and Labyrinth first when I was nineteen...so werid that I would have missed them)

Redsonga

Reaction score
I think I will write a short story based on this beginning to expand the idea a bit more. Nothing truly epic I think, just as sort of a character study (The Red and Boober relationship is interesting in a non-shippy way IMHO). I should have it and the ending of my Halloween story done by Halloween and then it is back to To Sing and Black Snow again :smile:.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I have renamed this story "Tail and Wing" and posted an edited version on FF.net :smile:. When the whole story is done I will post it all together with the edited beginning in a new topic. Thank you for your understanding and putting up with me :smile:.