The Canonical Muppet Show (Prologue to Almost Everything!)

12Medbe

Reaction score
There's quite the debate on what's canon and what's not in the muppet universe! I decided to write one up in the form of fanfiction. It jumps around quite a bit. Starts out like a prolouge to Muppet Babies and Muppets From Space. Idk if you guys will like it, hope you guys do!

*Setting starts out in Space on the planet Crouton in the soup galaxy in 1952*

Many Gonzo like creatures are running around gathering cannons, fruit, lasers, and chicken dolls. Scene transitions: Two Gonzo like creatures looking over a chicken shaped baby cradle.

The 2 Gonzo like creatures are a man and a woman, presuming to be the baby’s parents.
“Are you absolutely certain we need to go through with this? I can’t leave my Gonzo!” As the baby’s mother said tearfully cradling him.

“Of course I’m not! But if this planet is going to war with the Chick Nood, we need to blast our Gonzo out of this galaxy in order to keep him safe! Said his father, while getting the transporting cannon ready.
His mother stuck a Chicken doll in Baby Gonzo’s Cradle and wrote a quick note that read “Gonzo, Always watch the sky” and pinned it to the chicken doll. Gonzo’s mother then called for the Cosmic Fish.
“Make sure the Cannon’s coordinates are set for a chicken farm on planet Earth” she said

“Are we going to come for him after this 47 year war is over?” one of the cosmic fish asked.

“As soon as it ends” she said

“Wait!!” Gonzo’s father yelled “One last lullaby”

So the cosmic fish, Gonzo’s parents, and a couple of the other Gonzo like aliens sang Gonzo the “Ying Tong Song”.

Moments later, the fish helped Gonzo’s mother and father load Gonzo and his cradle into the canon, the Canon blasted the baby to earth, the blast was powerful enough to destroy the canon too.

A Tear came from his Mom’s eye. “Good Luck Gonzo”

I’m sure of, check the calculations!” He quipped back, the cosmic fish checked the calculations, they then returns to Gonzo’s father, “Sir, your calculations are five states off from that chicken farm! But we know where he was sent! It’s a babysitting business called Nanny’s Nursery”

Gonzo’s Mother started to Weep, “I hope he’s taken good care of!” The cosmic fish and Gonzo’s father started to console her, then all of a sudden a blast was heard along, and then noodles that made a clucking noise started falling from the sky. “The war has begun!” The Cosmic Fish both said

12Medbe

Reaction score
Meanwhile on Earth, the shot zooms to a familiar nursery, it is now night time. Nanny enters the room turning off each light, and gets ready to enter her bedroom to turn in for the night. Outside the front door bright light in the sky with flames from the end of it started to zoom towards the ground. It got closer, and closer, and CLOSER. BAM! Gonzo’s cradle made a small crater in front of the front stairs. Moments later the outside light flicked and the door opened. “My! What do we have here?” Nanny picked up Gonzo’s basket. Nanny pulled back the blanket covering Gonzo’s head “Now, Now. No need to be scared!” She took a look at Gonzo for a second, “Goodness! It looks like a bird”, she then found the note. “Gonzo, my little whatever” Nanny then took him in.

Three years later. At the nursery, Nanny heard a knock at the door. “I wonder who it is Gonzo!”
“Gee! I don’t know Nanny! He replied.

Nanny opened the door “Oh! Cree and Emily! Lovely to see you” at the front door was a female Bear and a female Frog. “Hi Barbara, we’re dropping the little ones off for the day!” The Muppet Baby gang then ran in.

“Hi Guys” said Gonzo.
“Gonzo! Are Uncle Statler and uncle Waldorf coming today?” Kermit asked
“Nanny talked about them coming tomorrow, she said that Beaker and Bunsen would be coming today” Gonzo replied.

Piggy walked over to Kermit with a book “Kermie, could you read us a story about Ali Baba and the seven thieves?” The scene now transitions into a live action edition of the Muppet Babies, Episode 511, Junkyard Muppets.

*Fade to Black*

12Medbe

Reaction score
Nine years have now passed, the Muppet gang went their separate ways, Gonzo stayed with Nanny and started going to school in town. Kermit experienced his first time being out of the swamp with his friends Croaker and Goggles. Kermit took another adventure but this time roaming through the swamp, actually venturing through the state of New York, unknown to Kermit, the swamp had lead into Sesame Swamp, during which he met Bob McGrath fishing in the swamp. Kermit introduced himself to Bob, Kermit then discussed his dream of going to Hollywood. “I have a dream too Kermit, I have always wanted to educate and entertain toddlers at the same time. The street I live on, Sesame Street. There are a bunch of interesting people and creatures, and they believe in the dream, I hope someday we could entertain the world”.

Five Years have now passed, Kermit developed a second home located in Sesame Swamp. There were talks of Bob’s dream coming true, pilots were beginning to be filmed. Fozzie Bear now was working at the El Sleezo Café, trying to pursue his fame to comedy. Piggy started performing at local fairs. Rowlf started working at a bar at a hotel. Gonzo left Nanny’s nursery, met his girlfriend Camilla, and started a plumbing business. Scooter became a road manager for a brand new band that Animal was a part of, Skeeter left for the jungles of Africa for research. Yet the Muppets had forgotten about their adventures together as babies

A month after the try out pilots for an educational show named Sesame Street, Kermit was playing his banjo at his home swamp, an Agent approaches him in a boat, asking for directions. The agent then encourages Kermit to try out for Hollywood. Kermit then sets off on his bicycle, encountering construction for Doc Hopper’s frog legs, and then stopping at El Sleezo, where he re-meets Fozzie Bear and tells him of his dream. They soon set of to pursue a Hollywood career, only to bumping into Doc Hopper and Max along the way. Kermit had also started meeting many of the Muppets along the way to Hollywood. Days after having a woman named Myth popping up in random places, encountering a love stricken Pig, and the mad with power Doc Hopper, The gang made it to Hollywood. The Muppets started celebrating in Lew Lord’s office after the issue of the standard “Rich and Famous” contract.

“Kermit, your first film is due in 4 months, So September. Lew notified Kermit.
“What exactly should it be on sir?” Kermit asked

“Recreate how you got here, it would be an interesting flick, the first movie to be directed by a frog! I can see it now!” Lew said.

Lew and Kermit then sang a verse of "Hey A Movie!"

Minutes later
Kermit and the Gang then left the room. The first weeks of film were a snap, Kermit easily found Doc Hopper. Doc sold the Doc Hopper Frog Leg chain to the Bitterman Financial, the founder was interested in running the chain. Doc and Max decided to started off fresh and became bus boys at El Sleezo. “I better be paid for this movie Frog!” Doc snapped.

Kermit then made his way to New York to film a couple things with Sesame Street. He watched the Sesame Gang tape a song together, it was the song “Sing”. Kermit realized, what he needed was a musical finale. He convinced all the Sesame Muppets to work on the finale with him. On the way to his movie set, Kermit encountered many Muppets on the way. “The more the better!” he thought! Kermit and the gang filmed the musical finale. The movie was over or so he thought. Kermit still had a feeling that something was still missing. “How should I make this more realistic?” he asked Scooter. “Kermit why not hold a screening of our movie, and have bits of us watching our movie!”. That was it! Kermit didn’t waste any time on that idea. Days later the movie was Complete. "Good Work Frog" Lew said.
Lew then sang "I knew I was going to love, Thiiiiiis Frog!"

*Fade to Black*

12Medbe

Reaction score
Days later, Kermit met a Muppet named Sam who was also starting out in television, so he helped out with Sam’s show for a week. Lew Lord called Kermit telling him of an idea. “Kermit , I’ve caught your appearances on Sam & Friends and Sesame Workshop aired some of your footage the other night on PBS! So I was thinking, I will pull some strings and give you your very own show!”. Kermit was thrilled and called all the other Muppets to star in the show with him, Scooter told Kermit that his uncle owned the theatre and that they could film the show there. Kermit also called Sesame Workshop to see if getting the Muppets of Sesame Street to appear on the show “Kermit” Joan said “They have a contract, I can’t have them appear on your show regularly. I can however send two down right now to make an appearance on an episode” Joan added. “Well who ‘s available at the moment?” Kermit asked “Ernie and Bert finished three months worth of segments for the show, you can have them appear in an episode” Joan said “Brilliant” Kermit said “I’m in the middle of shooting our first production with Juliet Prowse, later this week, we have Connie Stevens, they can be on with her. Kermit said, “Sounds fine Kermit”.

Kermit went back to work, “Hey Scooter!” Kermit called out, Scooter bolted in “Yes Boss?” . “Something is missing from the show, we need to make it more lively” Kermit said, “Well boss, why not have wise-cracking hecklers!” Scooter said, “You mean the ones from the Muppet Movie screening?” Kermit asked “Can we get them?” Scooter asked. “I’m not sure where to find them” Kermit said.

“I Do” said a familiar voice, from the backstage door, Nanny peaked in. The Muppet gang then gathered backstage “NANNY?!” they all said, the Muppets then looked at each other with confused faces. “I’m shocked to see you all together again kids” Nanny said. “We were together?” Fozzie asked. “Yes Fozzie, when you were all toddlers I used to babysit you all, and I had taken Gonzo in at the time” Nanny said. “Looks like you’ve been making quite the name for yourself Kermit, I’m very proud of all of you. Nanny added. “Thank you Nanny. By the way where do we find those hecklers?” Kermit asked “Oh, you mean Uncle Statler and Uncle Waldorf!”.

***Shot of Waldorf and Statler***
Waldorf quickly looked at Statler. "I just had a horrible feeling!" Waldorf said
"Well no wonder! you're in another Muppet Movie!" Statler quipped back
They both laugh.

12Medbe

Reaction score
Weeks passed by, filming of The Muppet Show was going along smoothly, Lew Lord had gotten previews for the two pilots to air publicly. Kermit continued making appearances on Sesame Street, even meeting a man named Jim Henson, who helped develop the show, Kermit had also persuaded him to help produce the Muppet show as well. Kermit had seen him before, helping along with Sam’s show, and also seen him on set of the Muppet Movie as well! Kermit and Jim soon developed a friendship between one another.

Lew Lord contacted Kermit after Season One’s filming of the Muppet Show ended, He encouraged Kermit and gang to go to college for acting, and without serious help.

try to make it Broadway afterwards. All Lew wanted was for the Muppets to film their time there, document their events and if they made it to Broadway, that he would let the Muppets use it for another movie development. Three Years passed and after a long struggle the Muppets made it through college, even making another film for Lew calling it “The Great Muppet Caper”. The Muppets had enough footage to create a movie out of their college years and struggle to Broadway. Bernard Crawford had their show in development and wanted the show to go on in January of ‘73. Lew felt that the movie had to be a tad bit longer, he asked Kermit to shoot a couple scenes as if he was inflicted with amnesia, Jim also stepped in with in the idea on how Kermit would get it. Lew also wanted a scene of Kermit and Piggy to film a carriage ride scene at the park. Kermit thought of having A Muppet Baby scene and song, so he had the Muppets dress up as babies. The Broadway show was filmed a week later, Kermit brought his gang from the Muppet Show into it, and also persuaded Joan to send down the Sesame Street Muppets. It was the last scene, Miss Piggy had gotten a real priest, “Gonzo, dear. I know Kermie wanted you to play the minister, but I thought it would be much more romantic with the real one” Miss Piggy said. Gonzo went to his seat with Fozzie, “Ooh Boy, I hope Kermit knows what he’s getting himself into” Gonzo said. “What?” Scooter asked. “You’ll See” Gonzo said. Back to the Sesame Street rows. “Me surprised Season five was ordered!” Cookie Monster said. “You’re telling me Cookie!” Bert said. Big Bird peered over “Don’t we have to do a Sesame Street Live album in 2 months?” he asked. “Yes. It’ll be cute and fuzzy!” Grover responded. Ernie then entered the church “Hey Guys! Germany just started their own co-production of Sesame Street!”. The Sesame Street Muppets cheered. Moments later the wedding scene was shot with the real minister. It was official Miss Piggy and Kermit were an Item.

In late November, Lew wanted the Muppets to begin filming for another Season of the Muppet Show, he love what he saw. He notified Kermit and the gang that their first pilot, the Valentines Show would be aired in late January of ’74. 1974 came along and the Muppets were enjoying success from the Valentines Show. Kermit continued appearances on Sesame Street. Lew kept the Three Muppet Movies at his company, He let Kermit know that Kermit’s first production, The Muppet Movie would be shown in theatres in 5 years. 1975 came along and Lew had his company air “Sex and Violence” the second Muppet Pilot. Due to outstanding ratings. Lew felt the world was ready for The Muppet Show, so in 1976 Season 1 saw the light of day. 1977, Season 2 was ordered and aired. Lew demanded Kermit to get started on Seasons 3 and 4, The Muppet show was a success. 1979 came along and Lew sent The Muppet Movie to Theatres and had The Great Muppet Caper follow in 1981. 1981, The Muppet Show was airing its Fifth Season. Kermit and Jim decided that The Muppet Show would end with Five Seasons. Kermit began visiting Sesame Street daily in 1982.

12Medbe

Reaction score
December 4th, Kermit watched Mr. Hooper tape a segment. He realized that Mr. Hooper did not look well.

“Mr. Hooper, you don’t look well” Kermit said
“Oh, I’m just a little out of it Kermit” Will replied
“It’s not easy being green is it Mr. Hooper?” Kermit giggled

Kermit and Mr. Hooper sang "Its not easy being green". Afterwards Kermit patted Mr. Hooper on the back. Mr. Hooper grinned and resumed taking care of the store. Kermit walked over to Gordon and Susan, “Susan I’m very worried about Mr. Hooper, something tells me he’s not well” Kermit said. “We’ll keep our eyes on him” Gordon said. Big Bird walked over to Mr. Hooper, and put his arm around him. “I Love you Mr. Looper” he said, “and I love you Big Bird” He replied with a sigh. Days later, Jim and Kermit visited with Lew, talking about when Muppets Take Manhattan would be shown in Theatres. Big Bird called Lew’s office asking for Kermit. Big Bird was sobbing “Kermit… Mr. Looper…” Big Bird started to say, “Big Bird? What’s the problem?” Kermit asked in a concerned voice. “Mr. Looper died in the hospital” Big Bird then went on sobbing. “Oh, Big Bird! That’s sad! I’ll come visit you after I wrap up things here, sound alright?” he said. “Alright” Big Bird said weakly. 1984 came along and Lew decided to send Muppets Take Manhattan to theaters. The Muppet Babies sequence gave him an idea, why not have the Muppets Develop a show of their baby selves. Kermit confronted Jim about the idea, he had thought the show would be successful if it was a cartoon.

“Jim how do we go about making our baby selves as cartoons?” Kermit asked

“Well Kermit, the Muppets franchise is associated with Disney, I plan on having the Muppet name owned by Disney by the early 90’s, let’s visit Mickey Mouse and see if we can get that to happen” Jim Said.

Kermit, The Muppets and Jim visited Nanny’s Nursery to tell Nanny of the Muppet Babies show idea. Nanny had documented all of the adventures the Muppets had when they were babies, so they wanted Nanny to be the writer. Kermit, Nanny, and The Muppets visited Disney World, three days later. Kermit was face to face with Mickey Mouse, “So cartoons of your baby selves and Nanny. Hotdog! You betcha! Mickey said. The Muppets gave Mickey photos of their baby selves, Nanny and photos of the nursery. Mickey put them through a machine and all of a sudden a set of the Nursery popped out along with Nanny and The Muppet Babies. Kermit called Lew Lord in, production for the Muppet Babies were ready. Kermit notified Nanny that not every story idea has to be true. When the show went into production, Lew decided that he wanted Jim Henson to be the owner of the Show.

1985 rolled along, Lew made Jim Henson the proud co-owner of Lew’s Studios, Lew also named it Muppet Studios. Sesame Street started creating its first movie, Kermit was thrilled that he had a part. During the movie production, Kermit asked the production staff if the show could reveal Snuffleupagus instead of having him missed by the adults. The Show introduced that notion in November. A Week after Snuffleupagus being revealed, Kermit received a call from Jim, Lew Lord was dead. He let Kermit know that, that night, Lew filled in for a member of the production staff at the Merv Griffin Show. During the show, Lew started sweating and began to hallucinate a bit, he passed it off as just being tired. After the show he went home and suffered a heart attack. Weeks later, Lew’s attorney called Jim Henson, Lew had left the Studio to Jim in his will. Jim became the studio’s owner. 1986 came along, The Muppets celebrated their 30 Anniversary, Kermit knew of the Fraggles, saw that they were there, but didn’t make time to meet them. Kermit didn’t know that it wouldn’t be one of many chances to meet them. A Muppet Family Christmas happened in 1987, Kermit had met Doc, Sprocket and The Fraggles. Later that night, Mokey found Robin. “Well Robin, how’s that Fraggle pebble?” she asked. “I passed it on to Grover” he replied, “I knew you’d do us proud!” said Wembley. The Fraggles made their way back to the Fraggle hole, They took a good look at Gonzo and Animal sleeping in hangers. Scene transitions to Kermit, Fozzie, Ernie and Bert in the same room. Ernie and Fozzie are having trouble sleeping, so they both sing “Dance Myself to sleep”. Kermit and Bert look at each other, they yell at Ernie and Fozzie to go to bed. Oscar pops out of his can “No! Keep going! I liked it!” he said.

It’s now 1988, Kermit is producing a Sesame Street episode where Luis and Maria are getting married. David Calloway watched from a distanced, he sighed and began remembering his relationship with Maria. Snuffy came from behind him “I know that look David, Things will be better”. David missed Maria. Heartbroken, David moved in 1989 to live with his grandmother. Before David left Sesame Street he stopped Maria on the sidewalk, and told her he was leaving. David and Maria then sang "Saying Goodbye".

12Medbe

Reaction score
Kermit started another Muppet themed show called The Jim Henson Hour. One day after filming Kermit met up with Jim who seemed a little nervous.

“Kermit, this afternoon I have to meet with Michael Eisner, and see if Disney would consider owning the Muppets brand” Jim Said

“I’m sure you’re doing the right thing, I believe in you Jim” Kermit replied

Jim Grinned. The two bumped into Clifford on the way out, “Yo Kerm, you think I could have my own show someday?” he asked. “Maybe Clifford” Kermit replied.

Jim Henson brought the Muppets gang to Walt Disney World in 1990, it was to be official, The Muppets would be partnered with Disney. Days after the Disney special, Kermit and Piggy were enjoying time at the theme park, Jim walked by, He was pale and developed a tiny dry cough. Kermit looked to Piggy, “Piggy you don’t think..?” Kermit began to say. “You felt that too Kermie?” She asked. Later that night, Kermit had gotten on the phone with Big Bird, Ernie and Maria. Kermit explained he was worried for Jim, He started looking like Mr. Hooper, days before his passing. Maria had gotten Susan on the phone as well, Susan began telling Kermit of what signs to look for if Jim was in trouble health wise. Late night May 15th Kermit got a call from Steve Whitmire, Jim was in the Hopsital. What he had was rare, and it might be too late. Kermit called Big Bird, The Muppet Babies, Miss Piggy, Ernie, Dr Teeth, Sam, Fozzie, Scooter, Guy Smiley, Bert, Waldorf, Rowlf, Link, and Swedish Chef, to come to the Hospital with him.

12Medbe

Reaction score
The gang started to sing “One Person” to Jim, none of them could help themselves from tearing up.

Minutes later, Kermit joined by his friends saw Jim Henson take his last breath. The Muppets all hugged each other, Miss Piggy could have sworn she heard Kermit’s heart break. The Muppets walked out to the waiting room to break it to their human friends. Kermit was devastated, all he could do was look down. Steve went over to Kermit and put his hand on Kermit’s Shoulder. Kermit had gotten himself in a deep depression, Everyday he would sit in the balcony of the Muppet Theatre, looking at a picture of Jim. Frank Oz try to console Kermit one day, he also told Kermit that the Muppets should Celebrate Jim’s Life in a television special. Kermit agreed to do it, Days later the special was done, Kermit not feeling up to anything made an arrangement to only appear at the end of the special. He put on an act at the end of the special, making himself look happy. After the camera’s shut off, Kermit was a different frog. Kermit made appearances throughout the mid 90’s, helping along with two Disney films, Kermit still was down though, even letting Clifford host Muppets Tonight in 1996.

1999. The setting is now to the planet crouton. Gonzo’s Parents have located Gonzo, “Perhaps his cereal will get him to listen” Gonzo’s father said, “Worth a shot” his mother said. Back on Earth, Gonzo began seeing that strange things were starting to happen, he asked Disney if he could document it and turn it into a movie, Disney sent Gonzo’s idea to Columbia Pictures, and Columbia sent out their newest director Luc Fromage, who had no prior experience with The Muppets, knew musical numbers had to be done though, only problem was he didn’t know how it would go. Weeks down the road Gonzo had been reunited with his family, but made a choice to stay with the Muppets. 2002, Kermit had the hardest Christmas of all, bringing back the Muppet Show for Christmas in order to pay off the Muppet Theatre.

By the end of the night, Daniel snapped Kermit out of his deep depression, Daniel made Kermit realized that he mattered. After winning the fight with Ms Bitterman, Miss Piggy and Kermit went up to the Balcony to relax. “Kermie! Moi has noticed you’re happy again!” she said. All Kermit could do was smile. Later that night Kermit went outside and looked up at the sky and sang.

Jim, Are you watching me. Are you proud of me. I will strive to keep your dream alive.
You're Gone But not Forgotten. You have a legacy. I will strive to keep your dream alive.

Disney finally acquired The Muppets in 2004, “I’m warning you guys” Kermit said “Please keep Jim’s Dream Alive”. Eisner nodded and left the room. Out in the hall he look to his colleagues and smirked. In 2005, Disney decided it was time for another movie, but a spoof of the Wizard of Oz. Kermit and Gonzo were angered by how the movie went. “Kermit! This is worse that how Muppets from Space got produced!” Gonzo angrily said. “That wasn’t Jim’s Dream” Kermit said sadly. Kermit felt himself slipping into a sad state once more.

The scene is now at Kermit’s Swamp/House, in 2011. Kermit was moping again and Robin was sadly looking bedroom door.

I kind of want to make this a prologue to Outerelf’s prologue to The Muppets 2011. Outerelf if you see this, It would be awesome if you could attach your prologue here. It kind of broadens the story quite a bit.