The best thing the muppets ever did: Pre-Disney purchase

muppetfan1999

Reaction score
I was looking on the forum earlier and I've seen a lot of different threads that are talking about Your Favorite TMS guest star, or your favorite muppet song, and so on and so forth.

So I decided to ask the people of the forum what their favorite thing the muppets ever did BEFORE the purchase by Disney. It could be a song, a movie, or even just a character. This question only focuses on the classic muppets i.e; Kermit, Piggy, etc. And it could come from any time period. As long as it involves the classic muppets and is before the disney purchase it's ok.

For me my favorite muppet thing pre-disney purchase would have to be the character Rowlf because I really like his songs that he did on The Muppet Show and in the movies.

matleo

Reaction score
Muppet Movie. no question about it.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I second the Muppet Movie.

As for post-Jim/pre-Disney...I'll have to go with the controversial VMX. It's not a perfect special, but it got the Muppets right back where they belong...together again in the Muppet Theater (sans-childrens fables or host Clifford).

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's really impossible to say, especially with the Jim era. The Muppet MovieS I'd say, even MTM really had a LOT of magic in them that just didn't fit in the show. Truth be told, I'm tempted to say Fraggle Rock, even though that really doesn't count in this situation. As much as I love the Muppet Show and Sesame Street, there's something about FR that I think made it one of Jim's masterpiece TV shows, set apart from the other amazing work he did. Why the only Jim era thing I'd say was the not so best thing the muppets did were those kid's play-a-long videos (though I HEAVILY recommend You're a Cartoonist! for Carol Spinney's original characters Picklepuss and Pops)... they were much too juvenile, moreso than Muppet Babies.

As for post-Jim... I gotta agree VMX for the same reason... and a good fraction of MT... the stuff that worked, the characters that worked best. Bay of Pigs Watch? No.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think the best thing the Muppets ever did... is a tough question.

But, after 1990, I think the best thing the Muppets ever did was Muppet Treasure Island. It has a classic Muppet feel to it, I believe, and it's just so fun and funny. I work with a guy who actually described it as a "gem," and I'm inclined to agree with him.

My favorite Muppet thing is The Great Muppet Caper, but I don't know as I would classify it as the absolute best thing the Muppets ever did. I think I agree with Drtooth. Fraggle Rock might have been the best thing the Muppets ever did. Other than that... well, certain episodes of The Muppet Show stand out in my mind. The episode with Harry Belafonte was excellent.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
The best thing the Muppets ever did, that is a tough question, there's so much stuff that happened before Jim died. I really like all three of the first Muppet movies, The Muppet Movie most of all. There's also Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas and The Muppet Show.

Even though this thread is about classic Muppets, I really want to say that Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock are among the very best of Jim's work before he passed away.

After his death, the best things were A Muppet Christmas Carol, Muppet Treasure Island and the Muppets' Jim Henson Tribute, The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson, that's the best of those things.