Someone Answer This Question!!!

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Everytime I watch Alice in Wonderland, I am asked this annoying question:

How is a Raven like a Writing Desk?!

I Do not get it! Did anyone figure it out? Does anyone have a CLUE to it's answer? I don't get it!!! Let's make some guesses...

I guess the similarity can be the color perhaps?
I have actually done a fair amount of research on this question, and the answer is pretty much "there is no answer". While the commonly accepted answer is, as previously stated, "They were both written on by Poe", it was meant to be a nonsensical question. Just as "Jabberwocky" was a nonsensical poem, it is meant to sound profound when, in reality, it isn't.

While the previously stated answer does give a true answer to the question, there is much debate as to whether Mr. Carroll (author of AIW) would have answered the question this way. This is because Poe was more of a near-contemporary of Carroll (Poe wrote from 1833-1846, while Carroll wrote Alice in 1865), which allows for the arguement that Poe may not have been famous enough to be included in such a reference. While the scholarly folks of that time certainly would have been familiar with the poet, Mr. Carroll's audience would probably not have been familiar with him.

In short, the purpose for this question is this: To befuddle readers and cause them to search for an answer to a question with which there is no real answer.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In short, the purpose for this question is this: To befuddle readers and cause them to search for an answer to a question with which there is no real answer.
Yeah I actually played the Mad Hatter in acting class back in middle school and made the mistake of trying to analyze the meaning of some of the lines, lol. It really is mainly designed to be nonsense. He is mad after all. :wink:

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I actually have to be tested for TB every year for my job. Talk about ridiculous paranoia. If I was coughing up blood ya think I'd have realized something was wrong...do we really need to TEST for this anymore? What about smallpox? Huh? Or polio? Or bubonic plague?
They require a TB test to work in childcare in the state of ND, as well. I had to test a couple of times and I also found it pointless - haha.

You might read some Poe in high school and if you don't there is still sure to be some in the textbooks. Every english textbook I have had has had at least one Poe story
We didn't read any of his works in high school, but we did read The Tell-Tale Heart in 8th grade.