So...uh... They're making a Raving Rabbids Movie for some reason?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Headed up by the Robot Chicken creators as well Maybe it will be stop motion!

First off... What the heck happened to the Ratchet and Clank movie that they swore was happening? That's a video game movie I'd like to see, and I don't even play that series (or anything made after the mid-90's for that matter).

Secondly... well... didn't we already have a movie where a bunch of manic little guys who speak gibberish? Also, the Rabbids couldn't hold a TV series of three short cartoons, does anyone really think this can carry a feature?

It's odd Sony has such an interest in video game movies all of the sudden. The obvious Adam Sandler bomb, Pixels being the first. Then there was talk of a Super Mario movie during the Sony hack (which will probably never happen), and then there's the upcoming Angry Birds film. I swear I heard one more as a faint rambling. Though it's strange that they'd go after this Rabbids property. The aforementioned cartoon failed. Nick barely aired the thing when it had a semi-regular time slot, and then it just disappeared with no fanfare. Heck, Nicktoons used to have little advertising interstitials for the cartoon but pretty much never aired it on Nicktoons. Not even to give it a TUFF Puppy-esque pity run to slowly burn off the episodes. Not that I don't dig the Rabbids, but why go over Rayman's neckless head? I'd probably dig a Rayman movie. Plus, aren't there bigger video game stars out there to give a game to? And is it just odd they don't go for a Playstation exclusive character as long as we're going the cult route? Parappa? Crash Bandicoot (which was once PlayStation exclusive)?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Obviously Sony wants to cash in on the success of the Minions, which would make financial sense.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... remember how I said "whatever happened to the Ratchet and Clank movie?"

I spoke too soon. Joyously so. It's slated for Next April and the trailer just popped up.

But that's off subject. Glad they're not Hollywooding out too much and the likes of David Kaye are still on board as their characters.

Obviously Sony wants to cash in on the success of the Minions, which would make financial sense.
Funny thing is, the Rabbids just predated the Minions by a little while, and you can tell Nickelodeon and Sony (as you said) wanted to cash in on the yellow guys with the thing that came before them.

Still, the Minions were able to hold a movie on their own. Not without some minor alterations, and paring down the cast to 3 main Minions while keeping the others around as a B-Story. Now, I can't say I disliked the Rabbids cartoon, it was deeply flawed in its format. As a three segment show, I lost interest by the third cartoon because it just felt repetitive. It's like it should have been a "Rayman N' Rabbids Fun Show," of 2 10 minute segments, keeping the tone different for the full half hour. It just gets...repetitive. Even though the one thing they did right was segmenting the different troops of Rabbids in different shorts, they were all really the same jokes over and over. And it really feels like there should have been more story as to why the Rabbids were being studied in the science labs. That would have been more interesting at least.

Unless there's heavy alteration, I don't see it working as a film.