So... Sesame Street Season 44!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
For some reason I thought they would make it look like that they were choosing someone harder this year, like who won't have stories come out of them that we don't know about.

By choosing a random person, they have no idea what they're bringing in, and it might cause bad press for them in the future, especially with TMZ on "Sesame-watch".

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I really hope they are more subdued about Hispanic heritage, since that's always been the main secondary culture with the show (I don't see them releasing albums in other languages in this country). Like they had that song in French once, but they usually go for Spanish language segments/education. Still seems like they need more actors of different backgrounds and races to talk about more cultures than just that one.
Well, keep in mind, Hispanic heritage is essentually like the main secondary culture of America, much like French is for Canada.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly do not see how this is any different from usual casting calls other than the hype.

Choosing a random person? What you're suggesting sounds like pulling off random people off the streets. That's not what they're doing. They're choosing aspiring actors from around the area. I'm pretty sure just some guy would have been weeded out as not having any experience. You're also saying that it's inevitable they'll pick someone with creepy secrets that could rock Sesame Street... out of all the hires they ever had in the history of the show, only 3 people had problems, and even then, only one showed problems on set. It's highly unlikely any of these actors has that much dirt.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
But as far as the regular veteran humans on the show, Caroll Spinney has explained many times before that most of the time, because Sesame Workshop is a non-profit organization, and SST is a low-budget show that they can't afford to bring in ALL the humans very often, which is why we may only get to see more than two or three of the actors in the same episode for special occasions (Mr. Hooper's death being an example of that).
In the A&E Biography, Caroll Spinney mentioned Mr. Hooper's death episode being a rare occasion where the whole adult cast was featured (well, Linda wasn't, and neither were Mr. MacIntosh or Willy). But it seems like in the real early days it was more common for the whole cast to appear. Ignoring the first season, which only had four main cast members, it seems like most of the old school season premieres featured the entire cast at some point, and I'm pretty sure there are other episodes with them all (mainly going by the Muppet Wiki guides). Of course, I'll have to think about how many of those weren't trips away from Sesame Street (though I know in many of those the whole adult cast doesn't travel), Luis and Maria's wedding, or an adoption or birth. I think episode 1446 is the first season premiere to only feature a small number of the human cast (only Maria and Mr. Hooper, though Olivia, Linda, and Gordon all appear in inserts).

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I really don't see it from you guys' perspectives; this is more of a fun, behind-the-scenes look thing than an American Idol-style thing. This is virtually like a DVD extra that they're just putting online. Okay, so they're building up a new character? Is that really a big deal?

Chris was added to virtually replace Miles, Leela was added to give the Laundromat a proprietor instead of inexplicably giving the job to Luis and Maria for no reason; this new character is reflecting the culture, not any need for story or lack of cast member. Plus, the new season is about Hispanic culture and if they can't have Maria and Luis as often as they used to, a new Hispanic human is the way to go. You can't dump all the Spanish on Rosita that often. Just because they arrived without this much hooplah doesn't make SW any lower now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I really don't see it from you guys' perspectives; this is more of a fun, behind-the-scenes look thing than an American Idol-style thing. This is virtually like a DVD extra that they're just putting online. Okay, so they're building up a new character? Is that really a big deal?
Agreed fully. The hoopla is there to remind people that Sesame Street is still out there. If they have to pump the audience up to get them to keep tuning in rather than watching inferior cable kiddy shows, then that's what they have to do.

You can't dump all the Spanish on Rosita that often. Just because they arrived without this much hooplah doesn't make SW any lower now.
Agreed again, but I really hope to see a lot of Rosita this season. Somehow, the last few seasons she went from being the Hispanic Muppet character to being the available one of Elmo's friends that isn't Abby or Zoe. I have to admit, I loved when Rosita got so upset she went into a Ricky Ricardo-esque rant in her native tongue. I totally see the point of testing these actors with Elmo, but I want to see how they work together with Rosita.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Watching the audition footage, I can't help but wonder if that's Kevin Clash as Elmo or someone else. I'm pretty sure the announcement for a new cast member came after Clash resigned, but if it's somebody else, the new performer sounds very identical.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Watching the audition footage, I can't help but wonder if that's Kevin Clash as Elmo or someone else. I'm pretty sure the announcement for a new cast member came after Clash resigned, but if it's somebody else, the new performer sounds very identical.
These sessions were done in August, so that's Kevin.

Status
Not open for further replies.