Sesame Street to Introduce HIV-Positive Muppet

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
First off, thanks for the clarification, Phillip!

Second, Sesame Street has always had a social agenda. From the start, the social 'issues' were as important as the ABCs and learning to count. Actually, learning to count in English and Spanish is a form of social programing. Showing people of different races and ethnicities living and working together-- in harmony-- was a huge part of the initial Sesame Street concept and that was controversial and a very big deal at the time. Unfortunatley, it is still pretty rare. Teaching kids to share and cooperate is social programing. Showing that a little girl in a wheel chair is still a little girl with all the same needs and wants as any other kid is social programing. Having Linda on the show is social programing. A story where a baby is adopted is social programing. So to say Sesame Street should avoid HIV because it is social programming is to miss one of the most important aspects of the show.

I respect the opinions of those who think this is an inappropriate topic for young kids. Everyone has a right to their opinion and to express it.

However, I think this is completely appropriate. I do not think it would open the door to a discussion of STDs or how to avoid them. I think it would teach an important lesson about fear of the unknown and the importance of education before judgement. I do not think it would diminish the innocence of childhood. I think it is the very innocence of early childhood that would make this work so well-- kids wouldn't get caught up in bizarre notions about HIV being a punishment or any of that sort of rubbish, they would simply recognize that it is wrong to treat someone poorly because they have the potential to become sick.

Anyway, the HIV issue appears to be mute for American Sesame Street. I hope that changes, but that's just my view, as a parent and a sociologist.

As for a gay character on Sesame Street-- I say bring it on!!!! Of course it would be a human, Sesame Street Muppets are too young for that sort of thing. I would love to see a gay couple on Sesame Street. It's long over due. I know, lots of people will disagree with me, but I believe there is room in this world for all of us and we should respect each other's choices, not dictate how others should live. Acceptance, tollerance, and respect have long been a part of Sesame Street and those concepts don't just apply to sharing toys and racial diversity. I don't expect this to happen anytime soon, but I sure hope it comes along in the next decade or so.

radionate

Reaction score
Hey All,

I was greated by a surprise when I got into the station today, news reports out the wazoo on this. Here are two transcripts:

HIV Muppet Reax w/audio

(New York, NY) -- A HIV-positive Muppet is about to debut on the South African version of "Sesame Street. " Kermit the Frog says he is pleased with the addition and adds that "Sesame Street" is about educating all types of children.

{HIVKermit1} Q...to do it :10.7

The unnamed character, which is still without a final color or form, will be an upbeat female Muppet and will join the cast for the show's third season on the South African Broadcasting Corporation. Joel Schneider, vice president and senior adviser to the Sesame Street Workshop, says "not every program will deal explicitly with HIV/AIDS. We want to show that here is an HIV-positive member of our community who you can touch and interact with."

There is a clip of Steve (as Kermit) being interviewed about it. He sounds VERY FLUSTERED. It is also obviously outside as there are car noises in the background. I have no way of uplifting this to the web, I'm sorry, but here's as close to a transcript of him as I can do (stumbles are also added so you get the general drift):

"I haven't met that character yet, but uh, , I think its ahhh, I think its a nice idea. You know we've been, uh, we've been educating kids about all kinds of things for lots of years...so um.... you know, any way that we can help we're happy to do it.

radionate

Reaction score
Here's the second story:

(New York, NY) -- The South African version of "Sesame Street" will be getting a new character. The unnamed character, which is still without a final color or form, will be an upbeat female Muppet that is HIV positive. Parents Television Council spokesperson Brent Bozell says the move is exposing kids to too much information too soon.

The vice president and senior adviser to the Sesame Street Workshop says "not every program will deal explicitly with HIV/AIDS," and they will "be very careful" to fashion messages appropriately to the age group.

The sound clip is basically Mr. Bozell saying that even now S.S. is playing games with children in regards that children aren't allowed to be children anymore. If anyone really really wants me to type out the sound byte I will, but post quickly as I leave the station in a little over an hour!

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
There is a clip of Steve (as Kermit) being interviewed about it. He sounds VERY FLUSTERED. It is also obviously outside as there are car noises in the background
Sounds like because the story has broke tabloid media in the states some cunning journo has made his way to the Henson offices for a quote. Poor Steve, having to get into Kermit mode and Henson don't even own Sesame now. I guess he might have got lampooned outside because i doubt the press office would have let Kermit I/V on this because the facts are so up in the air.

As for the UK - apparently we don't care as much. it got 2 lines in the most popular papers today.

S

Special_Ed

Mister Muppet Quilter

Why should a gay couple be on Sesame Street when gay people make up less than 3% of the total US population? Why should this liberal agenda be crammed down the throats of innocent children? You stated that the Muppets are too young for that sort of thing, so why would the children watching the show not be considered too young to watch this on the show, by your very own standards?

What next, a murder or child molestor on Sesame Street, who must be accepted for being a sicko? What a joke! I don't recall many religous groups being depicted on Sesame Street either, which seems like this would be an alley they'd try to persue after the anti arab attitude after 9/11. In recent years even Christian groups are met up with intolerant attitudes, but no one seems to care about this group. A gay couple on Sesame street, what a silly silly idea....

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
ONE MORE THING...

Special_Ed & other anti-disabled-muppet people:

Part of my disability has to do w/continually attrophying muscles. My guess is that many of the disabled kids on Sesame Street have this, too. Why is having the HIV disease different from deteriorating muscles? They're "both" diseases & they both force challenges onto the people who have them.

Young children who watch Sesame Street "need" to learn respect. They "need" to learn how "not" to be afraid. If the street ever decides to add a gay couple to its residency, so be it. I don't care if parents are against gays. Everybody should be treated equal; and that's that. Unfortunately, there are people in this world who don't agree. Well, those people don't have to watch Sesame Street!

I don't want to "force" anyone to watch the show, only to gag whenever they see somebody in a wheelchair or using a walker.

Daniel:smile:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Special Ed

It is fine to express your opinions on the board but name-calling is certainly not. Please refrain from doing so in the future. This board is made up of all sorts of people and such talk has no place here.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Ed,

Originally posted by Special_Ed

Why should a gay couple be on Sesame Street when gay people make up less than 3% of the total US population? Why should this liberal agenda be crammed down the throats of innocent children? ....

What next, a murder or child molestor on Sesame Street, who must be accepted for being a sicko?...
I think you need to think about what your saying...

see ya

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
trekkie1701E

Oh...you certainly did not offend anyone. I was posing to the new "ED" member.