Sesame Street to Introduce HIV-Positive Muppet

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
This is a most interesting discussion...

For some reason I reminded of the rumours that circulated around the time Jim Henson passed away sayinng that the CTW was going to have the character of Ernie die to teach kids about death.

If I recall correctly, and I don't know if this was an official statement or not, two things were said at the time: Death was an issue that was talked about when Mr. Hooper died and Muppets don't die because they're not human. They are foam and fleece and products of the imagination.

With that in mind, I don't necessarily question the appropriateness of a character on the street that has HIV but I wonder if it should really be a Muppet that has the disease as opposed to a _real_ person if the previous statement is true.

I am also reminded that this no longer JHC but the seperate entity of the Sesame Workshop.

Regardless, I think the goals are admirable but I'm not so certain as to the means.

Luke

Reaction score
Jamie :-

I think you interpreted Jessicas post wrongly. She said that "IMO, it would be more useful for SS to show a hospital setting where a Muppet was ill in bed (perhaps hooked up to an IV or something) without specifing what the illness is." So she was suggesting that instead of tackling HIV they tackled serious illness more generically with this kind of hospital setting which i agree, with elderly grandparents, they would be much more likely to experience rather than HIV. So she was certainly not misinformed about the amount of time HIV patients spend in hospital. I do agree though that this solution doesn't tackle what they are trying to tackle though, but then it's Jessicas opinion that they shouldn't specifically tackle this.

Radionate :-

Yup, i was referring to the 'off button' in my post. I wanted to state that they should limit this storyline to a couple of episodes and air disclaimers and things. I want the parents to be able to use the 'off button' just for the episodes they know are going to contain this and not just be in the dark, otherwise they may decide to use the 'off button' permanently. From how i interpreted other people, they seemed to suggest the show include this kind of content as normal, because if their parents decided they should not watch it then it is their parents who really need educating. I think this is grossly unfair as people come from all different kinds of cultures, classes and backgrounds and as guardians are perfectly entitled to monitor what their underage kids are exposed to.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke

I think that the hospital setting is a separate issue entirely in that case. I think we live in an unfortunate age when all our lives have been (or will be) affected by AIDS. I see no problem with a positive character on SS [that is not exclusively in a hospital setting]. I just wish there would be no need for it, but IMHO there definitely is. What are you afraid of a child learning about is my question? If it's over a kid's head he/she will disregard it. Just doesn't make sense to me. We all know that this subject would be handled appropriately.:confused: :confused:

radionate

Reaction score
I'm glad we are in agreement with the "off button", but I'm don't think we see eye to eye on the HIV+ Muppet (which is ok, I'm not attacking you).

I just think that the puppet shouldn't just disappear after a few episodes. YES disclaimers should be aired before the episodes that deal with its HIV status, but to have the puppet just leave after a few episodes is insane. The thing above every thing else that people need to realize is that life goes on for those infected with HIV and AIDS. If the character continued to be on the street, it would allow adults and children to see that these people are no different then anyone else. They continue to live. They laugh, play, and cry just like the rest of us. While I don't think its HIV status should be the focal point every time they walk on camera, their presence would stand as a reminder that these people are a part of our everyday lives. They are our mailmen, teachers, neighbors, and friends. They don't just fade away; they struggle to live as close to a normal life as we do.

FellowWLover

Reaction score
I know that some parents will disagree with me, but here is my reasoning. I don't expect you to understand it.

I simply feel that early childhood should be an innocent, untroubled period of time for children to live in a happy, carefree manner. I think that in a rush to "educate" kids about all the troubles in the world, our society sometimes robs children of some of the only exclusively worry free times of their lives.

Certainly some children will be forced to learn about HIV early due to circumstance (again, the kids in Africa especially). But personally, my three-year-old has no need to know about HIV *right now*

I am not saying that kids should not be taught about HIV at all (and all the other modern day issues of 2002 and beyond). I just believe that pre-school is too early. That is why I suggested a broader issue of "sick people" which could lay a foundation for further understanding about HIV and cancer and other illness. Does a three-year-old need to know about a specific disease, or just that people sometimes get sick, and although it might be a little confusing or scary, we should be compassionate and unafraid? Can't we wait until at least first grade before we spell it out?

Drtooth

Reaction score
In my opinion, if one should show up in the US, I think it should be a human. I just hope he doesn't run Hooper's store.

Here's my theory. When David died, his death was covered up, because it would have probably caused some sort of controversy over Hooper's store. I call it the curse. When Handford left the store, I actually got worried about the actor, wondering if he died. I dunno, it's just too weird for me.

And besides, Muppets don't die, they just get phased out of the show, and leave our memories.

As for the "off switch," Where I come from, there's something much worse one channel up. Jerry Springer.:mad: :mad: :mad:

One of these days, he'll be a nobody, a bum, a one hit wonder. I can't wait till he gets cancelled.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by FellowWLover
I simply feel that early childhood should be an innocent, untroubled period of time for children to live in a happy, carefree manner. I think that in a rush to "educate" kids about all the troubles in the world, our society sometimes robs children of some of the only exclusively worry free times of their lives.
I too believe that childhood should be happy, carefree and full of the innocent wonder of a child. Unfortunately that time is becoming less and less today. Young children are getting molested by other young children for crying out loud! And children hear things, and often project them without realizing what they are doing. Yes, 3 to 4 year olds shouldn't have major lessons in HIV, but they should be aware of illnesses, and how they are spread. S.S. targets more then just 3 to 4 year olds; the audience is a little wider. I'm sure that nothing would be broadcast that wouldn't be inappropriate for a child. If they are too young to comprehend, as Jamie said, it will just go over their head, but perhaps be absorbed by the parent (if the child is fortunate enough to be watching with their folks).

FellowWLover

Reaction score
Well, I will grant you this... yes, SS targets older than the 2-5 set, but in reality, I do not know one child over age five that watches it. And mostly the kids I know who are even 4 or 5 do not watch it anymore. AND, I know literally hundreds of kids (being a teacher and having 20 kids under age 7 on my block alone).

radionate

Reaction score
My point exactly, childhood is growing shorter and shorter, and these kids, whether we like it or not, need a basis of knowledge. Its a double edged sword to say the least, and no side is right, but I have a good feeling those kids 4-5 and even 6-7 know things that could make a sailor blush.

Drtooth

Reaction score
..As I said. Jerry Springer. These sleazy talk shows have permiated our culture and poisoned our kid's minds!!! It is important that he be removed from the air.

You can't say F*rt on Ren and Stimpy, but you can have a show about $%&*^ (*)&^^& $%^&* *()^&* ^&%*^(^ with a rubber hose!!! If you bleep out certain Swear words, the FCC will let you go.

I swear, this latchkey kid generation is going to ruin civilization.