Seeking Job as a Muppet Voice Artist

Iokitek

Reaction score
Well I have a view on that. You could have computer controlled puppets that can be configured to perform a preset range of motions. These can be programmed according to the prerecorded audio. This is very intiricate but it can be tweaked in advance so you know it's dead on instead of a puppeteer having to syncronise his movements with the audio on the spot. This would come in very handy if you're not quite satisfied with the camera angle for instance and would like to shoot the whole scene over again exactly as it was the first time. With live audio the puppeteer would have to get it right all over again. And humans are fallible while computers are not :wink: I guess it all comes down to what is most time and cost effective in the end though.

You can also use computer operated puppets together with a camera mounted on a dolly that is operated by the same program. This enables you to shoot the "exact same" several times for special effects editing purposes.

Although I can still clearly see the advantages to live audio and will choose to go for live audio myself before I even concider using prerecorded audio, the problem with live audio is that the puppeteer in question needs to have both puppeteering skills and voice acting skills. Im guessing most people would only be able to one thing very well. So it's probably hard to find good puppeteers then. I'm thinking of adding symbols to the puppeteers dialogue in the script. So they'll know when to do what and are able to rehearse it that way aswell... it's just a theory though :smile:

leliebel

Reaction score
hmm, I'd love to have a way to train my voice up.

Hlaf of the time I'm not bad, sometimes I can even sing. :stick_out_tongue:

But I can't figure out whiche part of my voice is my singing voice for instance, my voice wavers it's unstable and once I've found the right part, I can stick to it but as soon as I'm interupted it's gone again.

Trying to imitate people helps but still...

Do you have any tips for me?

Iokitek

Reaction score
You can always take singing lessons. They train you to use your voice the right way by breathing techniques etc. As for being able to put on alot of different voices, I think that's something you either have talent for or not.

edit: I also took soflege once. That's learning to hum or sing notes directly from sheet music. This can come in quite handy to learn how to get your voice on the exact pitch you want it to be. It helps you concentrate before you open your mouth. I've also always had problems with my voice jumping uncontrolably from one pitch to another. And soflege has helped me to get alot more control over this.

Besides :smile: a composer is always happy with puppeteers who can just understand his composition by reading the sheet music instead of having to sing it to them and having to correct them everytime they hit a wrong note. It's a huge timesaver. Especially when singing in harmony.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Iokitek said:
Well I have a view on that. You could have computer controlled puppets that can be configured to perform a preset range of motions. These can be programmed according to the prerecorded audio. This is very intiricate but it can be tweaked in advance so you know it's dead on instead of a puppeteer having to syncronise his movements with the audio on the spot.
The Creature Shop uses a very sophisticated version of this technique as an extension of their Performance Control System. I believe they first used it on either Babe or the live action 101 Dalmatians in the mid-90s.

The problem with this type of system is that it turns puppets in to animatronic automatons. You loose the live spontaneity that you get with two puppeteers bouncing lines off each other. In my experience some of the best moments are never scripted, never planned and are just 'happy accidents'. That can almost never happen with pre-recorded audio.

It's important to remember that all puppetry is about performance and there is just no substitute for two real live performers reacting to each other (or each other's puppets) in real time.

Iokitek

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
The problem with this type of system is that it turns puppets in to animatronic automatons. You loose the live spontaneity that you get with two puppeteers bouncing lines off each other.
I agree, puppeteering by a human being usually does move more lifelike than a mechanical puppet. That's why I want to do it that way aswell. Or atleast partly. So I still have to script it first. Wich means there will be no room for spontanious outbursts unfortunately :frown:

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
The problem with this type of system is that it turns puppets in to animatronic automatons. You loose the live spontaneity that you get with two puppeteers bouncing lines off each other. In my experience some of the best moments are never scripted, never planned and are just 'happy accidents'. That can almost never happen with pre-recorded audio.

It's important to remember that all puppetry is about performance and there is just no substitute for two real live performers reacting to each other (or each other's puppets) in real time.
That's quite true, and just because something has been scripted doesn't automatically mean you loose that. Using ad-libs that come up during filming make for a wonderful finished product. I know exactly what Andrew is talking about, when I am filming skits with my friend we just kind of let the project take it's own course after the initial nudge. We will write a script, and do run throughs, yes. However, plenty of fun changes develop while filming, and they contribute immensely. There really is nothing like live recording/performing.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
The Creature Shop uses a very sophisticated version of this technique as an extension of their Performance Control System. I believe they first used it on either Babe or the live action 101 Dalmatians in the mid-90s.
Wasn't something like that used for the Pinochio movie?
Cause he was voiced by that ,annoying, little, Jonathan Taylor Thomas

That Announcer

Reaction score
Iokitek said:
Well I have a view on that. You could have computer controlled puppets that can be configured to perform a preset range of motions. These can be programmed according to the prerecorded audio. This is very intiricate but it can be tweaked in advance so you know it's dead on instead of a puppeteer having to syncronise his movements with the audio on the spot. This would come in very handy if you're not quite satisfied with the camera angle for instance and would like to shoot the whole scene over again exactly as it was the first time.
This is correct; but, if you do this, you aren't shooting puppets- you're shooting robots. I never liked animatronic puppeteering as much as the traditional way. I know that animatronics can let you do some very neat things, but they just don't look right. "Animal Farm" on the whole creeped me out.

practicecactus

Reaction score
That!..What Iokitek said..that's what they used on Pinochio.
I agree, theres no heart behind that...that's probly why the movie bombed. :big_grin:
I guess, it was intended for like, theme parks and shop displays.
Theres no artistry behind it.