Scary Frazzle

Brentb

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I feel like I am totally the only one who remembers this, but I joined this forum to see if I might just not be alone, plus Sesame Street was a huge part of my childhood. Anyway, I randomly stumbled across something a few years ago that kind of disturbed me. You see, for years I always remembered this Sesame Street sketch from the early 90's in which Bert opens the apartment door to find a demonic-looking red monster staring back at him. The monster then proceeded to come into the apartment and chase Bert around. For the longest time, this sketch was only a vague memory to me, but one that haunted my dreams as a 90's kid. That was until several years ago when I tried to look for it. I searched through countless YouTube videos and hundreds of archives of every Ernie and Bert sketch ever made, and the closest thing I was able to find was a sketch from 1978 entitled "Ernie's disguise kit." In the sketch, Ernie dresses up in various disguises and knocks on the front door. Bert answers and Ernie comes in with a new disguise on. This repeats a few times. But it's the last part that is a little too familiar. Almost everything from the sketch that I remember is there: Bert goes to the door yet again, thinking that it will be Ernie in yet another disguise. However, instead of finding Ernie or the creepy red monster that I remember, the big blue wolf comes into the room and does essentially exactly what I remember the red monster doing. This puzzled me so much, because it was so eerily similar. So I decided to do a little more research; I searched all the Sesame Street monsters to see if I could find one that matched the monster from my memory. After a ton of searching, I finally found him: the monster I didn't think I'd ever see again. There he was, just as I pictured him; reddish-orange fur, huge fangs, creepy yellow eyes, fierce black eyebrows and demonic devil horns. His name was Frazzle. So I had at last found my monster, but I still had no way to connect him with the sketch. This is when things get really freaky. I soon discovered that there was a book that came out in 1979 called "The Many Faces of Ernie" and it is essentially a book version of the "Ernie's disguise kit" sketch with one MAJOR exception. Instead of the wolf trashing Ernie and Bert's apartment, guess who is. That's right, Frazzle. This absolutely blew my mind. The only logical conclusion I could come to, was that they remade the sketch in the early 90's with Frazzle to be more consistent with the book, but when you aired it it was too frightening to kids (like myself) and had to pull it. This would explain why there's no record of it ANYWHERE. Another interesting note, is that the Frazzle character of early 90's Sesame Street is portrayed as a self-conscious but lovable monster, which could have been to counteract the fact that he was so scary looking. So, either I have confused these things in my memory or the Jim Henson company is trying to hide something from us. Either way, it's still pretty creepy to think about. Look all this up for yourself, it's all real. I can't be the only one out there who remembers this. Can I?

gravy

Reaction score
Very interesting story, and I wouldn't be so sure it was the 90's. Frazzle mainly appeared in the late 70's and 80's, but I wouldn't recall he would be in anything in the 90's because of the Around the Corner era.