Satirical elements in MuppeTelevision from The Jim Henson Hour

mupcollector1

Reaction score
One of the things that I've noticed was on MuppeTelevision on The Jim Henson Hour unlike The Muppet Show, this one had more of a satirical element to it which I found quite interesting. For example in Dog City, there's several mentions of "senseless violence" which was lampooning violence in the media as well as spoofing the great gangster movies of the 30s and 40s. In the K.D. Lang episode, it ends with the Trash Bags being thrown into the ocean during the closing number "On the Road again" coming soon to a beach near you. lol And the Fish Story that Clifford read in the second episode had a sort of serious satire where you didn't know if the fish in the water were going to die and everything is quiet. Kermit calmly looks at the monitors which are now fish tanks and slowly turns toward the screen and says quietly "Goodnight everybody." And I was amazed by that ending. It sort of did what one of the things satire does best and that is it makes you think about the message, in this case the environmental message. Fraggle Rock was sort of social political / environmental political though not so much satirical which I'm starting to learn more now as an adult which I find very fascinating.

Even though most of Jim's work wasn't satirical, there were times were it was. There was a Sesame Street song about this Mountain Man that Jim performed on how much he loved the outdoors and while he's singing, there's tons of Muppets that are trashing it and as he finishes his song. It's this City mess. There's even a gag sign on a restaurant that says "Bad Food" :smile:

Anyway I noticed that when The Muppet Show ended, Jim was experimenting with so many different ways to approach television being an influence of Good. With The Dark Crystal and Labrynth even though being Fantasy, I've read that there's some elements of the Seth Speaks Law of Attraction within them, very interesting and cool. I study that stuff myself. :smile: And it seemed as The Jim Henson Hour: MuppeTelevision was getting a bit more into satire. It sort of was going towards that path of what would become one of Jim's only projects that continued development after his passing, Dinosaurs.

This was something that I've been studying for quite awhile so I was wondering what other people thought.