1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Rowlf or Uncle Deadly Replica?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by muppetlover123, Jan 24, 2012.

1. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

has anyone made replicas of these guys?
  2. Walter

Walter Active Member

Well.. I wouldn't call him a replica..But I have made an Uncle Deadly "Puppet.. I have never gotten a good pic of him up because, like the real puppet, it takes two to three people to operate him..The body is a blue sweatervest that has been shaped to add depth, and the neck is a continuation of this plus a new white tube sock. the head is polar fleece that has been built up to resemble his features...And finally, the mouth doesn't open.. Why? Well, he was a midway project..started out as just a plush head.. but I can operate his nose. I'm more of a Peter-Linz type then a Jerry-Neslon type..so his voice would be aweful...and no offense to Peter Linz if he can do an Uncle Deadly voice:).

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is him with stuffing in his neck and snout standing in for an arm..The arms are having issues at the moment so i didn't include them in the pic..I'm considering making a new deadly my next big project..one with the accurate furry body and antron fleece head..
  3. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

That's really cool Walter, excellent work! Looking forward to seeing your puppet version.

That said, to MuppetLover I'd say that Rowlf would probably be easier, he's pretty basic with not a lot of detailed foam carving. Whoever you choose, good luck! :)
    Walter likes this.
  4. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

That may be the coolest "sock" puppet I have ever seen. Man I wish I was better at making puppets.
    Walter likes this.
  5. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

6. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Wow, nice Uncle Deadly! It really looks like him!
  7. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

That's really cool! I want to make one!
  8. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

WOW! Can you tell me how you did this? This is so cool!
    Walter likes this.
  9. Walter

Walter Active Member

Thanks for all the replies guys!!

Muppet fan 123- Well basicly I was looking around one night...WAY before I joined muppet central and back before I learned Uncle Deadly would be in the new film...I was so excited that the muppets were coming back, that I had to produce my favorite character out of celebration! So I took a blue fleece plush and dismantled it, made some quick sketches, fired up my glue gun, and made a plush head..it took about three hours to get it just right. After I relocated and had a bigger aspirations, I decided "I want to bring Uncle Deadly to life" so I took a nearly new blue vest that my mom never wore(she was okay with me using it!) and I built it into a pear shape with a bump in the front(to give him a 3d-gut look like most muppet posers have) and then..after about 5 iterations, the neck was built using a tube sock and scraps from the sweater...The arms vary, and right now i am using some big gloves and a large button up shirt to perform him...This gives him the ability to wear heavy human clothing...For display, I put him in a muppet whatnot suit..I am considering turning him into a rod puppet..but he works fine right now so maybe not...when I get alot of extra cash I wish to build a perfect deadly replica..Or maybe by then I'll have enough to have a professional do it..Only time will tell!
    Muppet fan 123 and KermieBaby47 like this.
  10. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

That is really great!
  11. Walter

Walter Active Member

Thanks! :)
  12. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Cool! Do you have any pictures of step by step of what you did?
  13. Walter

Walter Active Member

unfortunately, I didn't think about it at the time..Sorry.. I wish I would've been able to create a tutorial now that I know how many people like him :sympathy:

Maybe I can draw up the patterns from memory some time:wisdom:
  14. muppfozz

muppfozz Member

:crazy: You have Talent. Have you tried to make any other Muppet? :rolleyes:
  15. Walter

Walter Active Member

Thanks!
    Well, I have made puppets of Kermit, Walter, Deadly, and I started to make puppets for Gonzo and Sam eagle..but those last two kind of fizzled and I've moved on to different things. I would love to continue making puppets and improve on my current ones, But I am financially unable to at the moment...Well, to be fair, Deadly was made of mostly recycled materials..but I am out of things to recycle as well:laugh:
  16. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

That would be great!
  17. j3h

j3h Active Member

absolutely fantastic!

Any interest in taking a commission for a plush (non pupet) version of Uncle deadly? I positivily would love one if you are willing.
  18. Walter

Walter Active Member

Wow! I'm honored for the gesture j3h! But at the time I'm afraid I'm not in any position to find the needed supplies and "economize" Deadly's design into something more professional(If you could see this guys neck, it has been tweaked until I got him just right) I do think it's possible that I could in the future though, If I find the needed fleece and find suitable replacements for the "sweatervest" body. I suppose making him into a plushie would be a little easier than a puppet.. I would probably use this pattern minus the neckline cut and fold, which would make him sit up easier.

I'll make sure to let you know the second I can commit to it:)
  19. MuppetFromSpace

MuppetFromSpace New Member

Wow man! That's amazing! I'm going to start a gonzo or an Uncle Deadly!
    Walter likes this.
  20. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I hate to dig up an old thread, but have you done any more work on him since then, or made any new puppets, Walter? I absolutely love how Deadly turned out! [​IMG]