Return to Labyrinth: Opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

edible eye

Reaction score
Having Hoggle as the "Prince of the land of Stench" is clever. However, he wouldn't hate Sarah his only friend.

And the Moppet character needs to go. Where's the originality there?

I just hope they never make a movie out of this.

Jivepuppet

Reaction score
Jake,
I liked it. Don't sweat. You're doing good. Fanfic is just that. You're a pro and keep it up!

No offence to Fanfic writers.:embarrassed: Writing other peoples characters professionally has ALOT of politics to it.

alorindanya

Reaction score
stormclouds said:
I'm very glad dreamtlove posted the scans in her livejournal. She's just saved me an awful lot of money. Thank you! To the person who wrote/drew/corrupted that thing I wish you'd take a long walk off a short cliff to save the rest of the real Labyrinth fans anymore heartache.
That wasn't very nice. The point is to share our criticism, not cut the man down.

Laszlo

Reaction score
The Henson company is famous for NEVER asking the fans what they want.
I guess they don't have the time for communicating with us. Or they don't want to? Who knows...

Laszlo

Reaction score
Regardless, I'll buy it. Will judge it when I read it. However I don't like the graphics. It's nothing like the movie, it just looks like manga to me.

How about Mr. Froud doing the next volume? :smile:

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Bad graphics

I saw the Labyrinth Manga, I didn't like the graphics that much, unfortunately I can't speak for the story as my internet connection couldn't enlarge the pics enough that I could read the text other than the scanners satirical comments. That said, I think what I should do is order the book itself online and read it before I judge it. Now if I could just find some extra money with which to order said book. Maybe Jareth is hiding some at the bottom of the Bog of Eternal Stench. :smirk:

Laszlo

Reaction score
It's just $ 10.- ... is that really a problem?
Sell some stuff on Ebay man... :smile:

angelforlife

Reaction score
True the Labyrinth fandom isn't as large a fantasy fanbase as something like Lord of the Rings, but attention to detail is certainly just as important to many of us.

Irene? I'm sorry, her name was Karen. There's a novelization of the film, was that utilized at all for research? -Was- there any research? The deviation from original characterization makes me boggle. Did anyone bother to inquire with any of the original team from Labyrinth for information? I just spoke with Brian Froud this past Sunday at Faerieworlds Festival in Oregon state and he was very kind in giving me some detailed information about Jareth, I can't imagine it would be hard for someone making something as 'big' as this to have thought to do the same.

At this point I'm sorry to say I've given up all faith that any decent 'sequel' can ever be made in any form. The only way that could have happened is if the original team that actually knew what they were doing had made something, but with Jim Henson gone.... yeah. I think you all know where I'm going with that.

I for one see this as nothing more than fanfiction of mediocre caliber, and I certainly won't be accepting it as canon. Yes, not everyone could have been made happy by however this manga could have been made - but an overwhelming majority online seems to be taking up the stance that it's not worth the $10.00. I think that speaks a lot for itself.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
Laszlo said:
It's just $ 10.- ... is that really a problem?
Sell some stuff on Ebay man... :smile:
I didn't know how little it cost I'll probably get it with my next paycheck, BTW check out my friends and family post and remember babies can be expensive.

Reaction score
I just want to cry. I actually had hope with this, and that was all because of the cover. The cover gave it the credit and the support behind it.

But whomever posted those images online, thank you. Illegal or not, I think that Labyrinth fans were dupped. I think we deserve to see before we buy, and ten dollars is not exactly a lot of money, true. But it's more than I pay for paperbacks.

Jim Henson can write a better sequel, if he wanted to. With or without Toby. (I am somewhat of a J/S supporter, but I can see a manga created for Toby...but no J/T ness. Ew.) I can't believe that Brian Henson allowed this to be created. Now because of this I'm scared to see how the Dark Crystal one is going to come out.

Can I also say that the drawings look like the graphics from Poke'mon? And the writing? ... Ugh. I'll wait for the second installation.

"I hope you prove me wrong, Jake. And I doubt you will."

*shakes head*

Status
Not open for further replies.