Reflections in Foam

Java

Reaction score
Good, that lets me know just how many song repeats I can fit into the story. I was thinking something similar but didn't want it to be quick and simple like 20mins or so.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
Yeah, not too far away; but not like...just into town kinda thing. Cause we'd be seeing more and more of Sesame Street characters in Hensonville easily. An explantion why we do however have a "Hooper's Store"? : Alan (or just whoever owns it currently) has branched out with a couple of extra stores.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You know... After rereading from the beginning... If Bert left the fishing vacation with Ernie to head back to Sesame Street alone, his is the story I'd like to know about, especially since it ties back in to Scooter's story from the first chapter.

Oh well, hope more gets posted soon.

Java

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll finish ironing it out soon. But I have to return to work tomorrow so I won't be able to stay up late editing tonight (it usually takes me several hours... I'm so slow)

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 9

“Come and play, everything’s A-okay,” the powerful voice echoed through the heads of his chaperones.

“Robin,” Scooter patiently started out, not wanting to hurt his feelings or excitement, “You’ve been singing that for forty-five minutes. Please, find another song to sing.”

“…tell me how to get; I know a tropical island where the Mango moon and Banana sun shine.”

Fozzie looked carefully over at Scooter from the corner of his eye. “So, this is what we get to listen to for the next forty-five minutes. I love Kermit and all but…”

“I’ll make him change songs Fozzie. I just can’t believe he didn’t miss a beat when he switched.”

“Thanks Scooter.”

Finally after rousing renditions of I Love Trash, ABC-DEG-GHI, The People in your Neighborhood, I Don’t Want to Live on the Moon, The Batty Bat, Doin’ the Pigeon, Monster in the Mirror, The Alligator King, Bayou Alphabet, Dance Myself to Sleep, Honk Around the Clock, Sing, We all Sing with the Same Voice, What’s the Name of that Song, the Teeny Little Super Guy theme, Let’s Call the Whole Thing Small, Letter B, and the Honker Duckie Dinger Jamboree Fozzie and Scooter’s ears got a break as Robin could do nothing but gasp in amazement as they turned the corner onto Sesame Street.

As Scooter and Fozzie got out of the car Bob and Gordon met them with cool drinks from Hooper’s Store.

“Long trip,” Bob asked reading the look on Scooters face.

“I never realized he knew that many Sesame Street songs.” Fozzie whispered.

“We got caught in a traffic jam. He sung the theme song for the first forty-five minutes of the trip but after we asked him to change it was like he was racing to see how fast he could get through all of the songs he remembered.”

They shared a laugh and started to catch up on the business of everyone when Fozzie taped Scooter on the shoulder. “Scooter, he’s singing it again.”

“What Fozzie? I don’t hear anything.”

The back door to the Studebaker opened as Robin had gotten over his shock at finally being on Sesame Street and he hopped out onto the sidewalk.

“Sunny day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

Can you tell me how to get
How to get to Sesame Street

Come and play
Everything's A-okay
Friendly neighbors there
That's where we meet

It's a magic carpet ride
Every door will open wide
To happy people like you
Happy people like
What a beautiful

Sunny day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet

How to get to Sesame Street...

How to get to... I’m here! Where is everybody? I want to talk to Big Bird and Bert and Ernie and Grover and Telly and Oscar, and Harry, and Prairie Dawn, and …”

“Whoa, there little one,” Bob crouched down so that he could see Robin better, “You’ll have plenty of time to see everyone who’s here. First I want you to look around and see where you are.”

“I know where I am. See, you came out of Hooper’s store and that’s the fix it shop” Robin hopped up and down pointing as he spoke, “and that’s where everyone plays, there’s the steps to the apartments, Oscar’s trash can is supposed to be right there, and that’s the doors to Big Bird’s nest.”

“Smart kid,” Gordon said to Scooter, “how come he’s never joined us before?”

“Ahh, you’d have to talk to Kermit about that one.”

“Good job Robin,” Bob continued, “now, I know that you have a lot of work you want to do but I have so rules that you have to follow that I need to tell you about before you can go talk to everyone.”

As Bob told Robin about where he was allowed to go and how often he needed to check in with the adults Fozzie and Scooter headed into Hooper’s Store to wait. “Now, if you go over to Big Bird’s nest I think you’ll find some of the people you want to talk to are having a meeting of the Birdkateers.”

Robin thanked Bob and quickly hopped down the sidewalk to Big Bird’s door. Taking in a deep breath he raised his hand and knocked.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmmm... After a nice introduction like that, I bet some origin stories are coming.
Post when you can Melissa.

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Robin gets to go to Sesame Street! :big_grin: *Flails arms* YAAAAAAAAYYYY!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Yay for Sesame Street! I'm just as excited as Robin! Ok, Big Bird let us in, we want to talk to you!

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 10 - Big Bird's Story

Robin watched as two yellow wings took hold of the door and a head peered out around the door first looking left and then looking right.

“Hmmm, I guess I was just hearing things.”

“I’m down here!” Robin cried out, not wanting to be left alone on the street.

“Oh, hi little frog!” Big Bird, “sometimes I forget to look down." He paused for a moment putting his wing on his chin while thinking. "You look very familiar.”

“I’m Robin, Kermit’s nephew.”

“Wow. Is Kermit with you? Is he going to come back and visit us and tell stories with us again?”

“No, he’s not here right now. He’s helping a friend who’s” Robin paused a moment as he thought of a way to try to tell Big Bird with out scaring him. Robin knew that they were the same age but because he got to spend more time with the rest of the Muppets he knew a little more about how mean the world could be than those on Sesame Street. But he really didn’t know what was going on right now either. “He’s helping a friend who’s not feeling good right now.”

“Oh, I’m glad your here though.”

“I wanted to know if I could ask you a few questions when your Birdkateer meeting is over.”

“It’s over now if you want to come in.”

Big Bird opened the door wider and allowed Robin to hop into his room.

“Bob said that everyone was here in your Birdkateer meeting.”

“Well, they were but their moms wanted them to come home to eat their lunch. A lot of my friends are on vacation though. Sometimes I like it better when fall and winter are here so that they don’t go away.” Big Bird sat down and picked up Radar to hold.

“I know what you mean. The house I live in is very quiet right now because everyone is gone. It’s scary when it’s so quiet in there and not filled with all the muppety noises.”

“I know what you mean. I miss Oscar slamming his trash can lid in the middle of the night trying to wake people up.”

They each sat thinking about their homes and favorite memories.

“Oh,” Big Bird exclaimed suddenly, “I know a lot of my friends are on vacation but you’re here now so I have a new friend. We should do something.”

“Well, I need to ask you a question first.” Robin said as he pulled out a pad of paper. “It’s very important as I’m trying to help Uncle Kermit make our friend feel better.”

“Well, okay.”

“How, ummm, well why, oh… hmm.” Robin stopped wondering just what Big Bird realized about them. “Well, how did you come to live on Sesame Street?”

“Gee, I'm not... It just…” Big Bird pause a moment thinking hard through all of his memories, “Well, really Kermit and his friend Jim just kind of found me.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​
Central Park 1969

Kermit and Jim sat together on the bench in Central Park, quietly taking in the spring day and enjoying the sights.

“La, la, la” Kermit heard heading down the path across from them, “Shh, Bird, you have to be quiet, they’ll hear you.” A little girl replied.

“La, la, la” came the voice even louder, his head popping up out of the box on top of a skateboard that the girl was struggling to move him in.

“Bird, please, if you don’t stay down, I’m never going to be able to hide you and help take care of you still.”

“But I want to play! Can’t we roller skate down the path.”

“No, someone will see you.”

Kermit placed his hand on Jim’s arm gently speaking “Hey, look over there.” Jim turned and watched the girl place the box next to some rocks and slid the skateboard out from under it.

“This is boring, Emma. When are we going to go home?”

“Big Bird, this is your home now. Dad says you're too big for the apartment and we can’t keep you forever. It’s time for you to live here.”

“But if I’m here, and you’re at the apartment, how are you going to read to me at bedtime.”

“I don’t know,” she said, her face falling slightly.

“And who’s going to make me birdseed milk shakes?” Big Bird’s voice was starting to carry a whine.

“I don’t know,” came the reply Emma’s face falling even more.

“And who’s going to play with me?”

“I will when I can.”

“What about the rest of the time?”

“I don’t know Big Bird.”

“What am I supposed to do?”

“Stay here. Live here. Make friends with all the other birds here. I’ll be able to come and play with you on Saturdays.” Emma said smiling.

“Oh, okay.” Big Bird said. Not really understanding what was happening. He looked slowly around the park. “I’m scared, Emma.”

“I am to Big Bird. But it will be okay. I’ll be back to play with you. But I have to go home now before it gets too late.”

Big Bird watched quietly as Emma walked away. Just before she turned the corner out of sight he called out, “Emma, we’ll always be friends won’t we?”

“Always Big Bird, Always.”

Two Weeks Later

“Round, and around and around and around!” Big Bird’s voice called out as he skated in circles up and down the path way.

“Here you go Kermit,” Jim handed over a sandwich as he joined Kermit on their bench. He bit into his own sandwich watching Big Bird skate. “So, he’s still at it.”

“Yup.”

“And you’ve been here everyday.”

“You should see how easily he gets along with all the kids when they come and play with him.”

“Well, who wouldn’t be drawn to an eight foot yellow bird? Are the cops giving him a hard time about sleeping there.” Jim pointed over to the place where Big Bird had built a nest for himself and had set out a few of his things.

“Well, not yet but they don’t know what do with him.”

“Has Emma come back to play with him?”

“La, la, la, la!” Big Bird sang as he turned around and started skating backwards.

“No, not once.”

“You’re right about him being for the show you know.”

“No, it’s your idea to have him on the show.”

Jim smiled gently, shrugging as he took another bite of his sandwich. “So,” he said as he swallowed, “when are you going to ask him?”

“Mmm,” Kermit said but was quickly distracted.

“Whoa, whoa, whhhhooooooaaaa!” Big Bird yelled out as he fell over a stick he couldn’t see as he skated backwards. “Oh,” he started to whimper as he pushed himself up to sit on the ground. “Oh, everything’s just all wrong. Oh, oh,” slowly he dissolved into sobs not completely sure what was wrong with him.

“How about now Jim?” Kermit asked as he slid off the bench and walked over to Big Bird.

Jim laid his sandwich down on the bench and joined Kermit as they explained about Sesame Street and all the friends that he would have.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​

“And then they brought me here!” Big Bird exclaimed as he stood up and rummaged through some belongings. “And they helped my find my Granny Bird who was so worried about me because my egg had gotten lost when my family was moving and thats when Emma had found it to take home so I could be her pet. She just didn't know I would get this big. But being able to live her on Sesame Street well, it’s been great!”

Robin finished writing down the last part of Big Bird’s story as he continued to rummage through his things looking for something.

“Ah, ha!” He straightened up and walked over to Robin with a picture, “See, this is Kermit, Jim and me when they brought me here. I’m so glad they did.”

“Oh, wow, Big Bird. This is great. Can I make a copy of this for my Uncle? I know he would love to have one.”

“Yes, but don’t you want to talk to everyone else first?”

“I thought they had gone home to eat lunch.”

“Lunch is over now. I think I hear them playing in the ally.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yea, we were going to play kick ball. Let’s go!”