Reading Rainbow in trouble

DirthNader

Reaction score
It would be an unfortunate loss for young veiwers everywhere. I hate to admit it, though, but the use of marketing tools appeals to children. They like to feel that they are being rewarded and often overlook the inherant rewards of simply learning.

It's a social thing, but I've covered my veiws on the "social" in an earlier thread and I think I came off a little preachy.

In any event, while I love the program and even find myself watching it from time to time, I fear that it will go the way of the dinasaurs. If it does, we may all morn our loss.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think it's a double edged sword.....for one thing, if PBS was better funded in the U.S. (and not by endless pledge-a-thons) they would be able to produce more shows like Reading Rainbow that served a small audience.

At the same time, keeping a show like "Reading Rainbow" (which started, gosh when I was still a kid) on air after all these years in the face of dwindling ratings prevents new and potentially groundbreaking shows from getting to air. I also wonder - nostalgia aside - if these shows are as effective now as they once were.

Sesame Street continues to grow, evolve and adapt to keep itself relevant and keep pace with the current standard bearer for educational television, Blue's Clues (which owes it success in no small part to the participation of Sesame Workshop vets). If shows can't stay relevant, they won't get precious funding. That's not to say Reading Rainbow shouldn't exist or needs to change it's format, it's just that unless the US adopts a more liberal model of funding public broadcasting it's going to be the law of the jungle out there for things shows this.

Even Sesame can only survive because of merchandising money

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Oh I love Reading Ranbow, and yes I have been seeing a few eps on tv lately!

Anyone remember when Jim Hensons KERMIT was the show! I wish I could see that ep again! but i did see the statue of Liberty ep, i remember that one from when I was a kid.

good stuff, in a world filled of bad stuff.:smile: :sympathy:

Zack,