Questions about Puppet Making and Training DVD's

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Hey Guys! Thanks for the feedback! I didn't know about the blinking eye video played automatically when going onto the Tutorial section- When I go on it doesn't happen to me but I managed to go on my wife's computer and fix the problem. Sorry.

I'm also finishing the series soon. I've had a couple of set backs due to deaths in the family.
Sorry.

Ranger2013

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've had some questions about puppet making and i was directed here by Puppetainer.

I was wondering if anyone has experimented with any other foam other than what Project Puppet offers.For instance, a local Hobby Lobby near me has PolyFoam sheets pretty cheap. The only differences are that it's poly foam and it's 1 in. thick instead of the 1/2 in that P.P. offers. IS this difference in type going to affect the puppet? What about the thickness?

Also, could someone explain to me the difference between polar fleece and antron fleece?

Thank you all for your help and wisdom.

Goochman

Reaction score
I use normal polyfoam from Joann's Fabric, at least for now... but I"m still working on my mad puppet skillz!

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Well, as I mentioned earlier in this thread ALL the puppets I've built have been built using PolyFoam rather than reticulated. Reticulated foam is better if you're not going to be covering the puppet with some kind of fabric whether that be fur, fleece or whatever. If the foam is going to be the "skin" of the puppet reticulated is great because you can dye it and with sharp tools sculpt it to work the way you need.

PolyFoam is fine when covering with fabric. Actually I've even seen some really cool puppets where PolyFoam was used as the puppet's skin. As for thickness, you CAN use 1" but I would recommend trying 1/2" if you can. Especially if you're working with a Project Puppet Simple Series pattern. The smaller pattern might be a bit more challenging with the thicker foam. The greater thickness will somewhat limit you in some shaping if you're trying to make a smaller head and/or body.

As for the Antron vs. Polar fleece thing I'm going to refer you to another thread where I and a number of other members discussed it at some length. Hopefully it will help. If you still have more questions after reading that feel free to post them at this thread and I'm sure we can come up with some answers for you.
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=52676&highlight=antron+fleece
:big_grin:

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Hey Ranger you can check out my gallery of images over at Puppets and Stuff. All but one (Beverly, the maroon live hand puppet that has the blinking eyes) of the puppets shown were built with something other than Antron fleece. I did use Antron fleece to make the maroon puppet. I used polar fleece on the others except for the two red monsters which I made from an old robe my daughter found at Goodwill. Also ALL of the puppets in the gallery were built with good old 1/2" PolyFoam as purchased either at Jo-Ann or Hancock fabric stores.
http://puppetsandstuff.com/community/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=16649

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with any other foam other than what Project Puppet offers.For instance, a local Hobby Lobby near me has PolyFoam sheets pretty cheap. The only differences are that it's poly foam and it's 1 in. thick instead of the 1/2 in that P.P. offers. IS this difference in type going to affect the puppet? What about the thickness?
It's really tough generalizing about reticulated foam and poly foam because those are catch-all terms for different types of open cell ("sponge-like") foam. There are a lot of variables, especially thickness of the foam, the chemical formula that's used to make it and the number of PPI (pores per inch).

I really like 3/4" inch reticulated foam for most things, although 1/2" works well at a smaller scale sometimes. Years ago you could find 3/4" poly foam available commercially, but I have not seen it in that thickness for many years. The foam I have was ordered wholesale and custom cut in to 3/4" sheets by a manufacturer, which is not really a cheap way to go.

One inch poly foam tends to a little bulkier and heavier than reticulated foam. Not terribly so, but it does make a difference. Sometimes that's a bonus if you want to make a character look especially round, or full.

I find most 1/2" poly foam a little too flimsy, but again it has its uses.

Most experienced puppet builders don't just work with one kind of foam, they choose a material that best suits the puppet they are building. My advice is to buy small quantities of different kinds of foam (as much as you can afford), experiment with them and see what the pros or cons of each are.

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Puppetainer, I have got to say you have a good eye for glass eyes! Your puppets pull them off so well.

Puppetainer

Reaction score
Thanks! It's good to know I have an eye for eyes! I do start thinking about how I'm going to do the eyes pretty early in the design process. They're such a critical part of giving each character the right feel.

Ranger2013

Reaction score
Thanks Buck-Beaver! I'll get some supplies and if i have anymore questions i'll ask again!