Questions about anything

minor muppetz

Reaction score
You kind of answered your own question there... especially back in the old days, when home video releases weren't available, the only clearence needed to be done was for the television broadcasts. When you factor in home video releases, those have to be purchased by consumers, so of course, the music would have to be cleared again, so whoever owns the rights to the songs can receive their fair share of the profits. I assume.
I don't know how I answered my own question. Particularly the part about the pre-video era when people didn't know that one day their works would be purchased. But I wonder, since when television began residuals were only for the first five broadcasts, I wonder if that also applied to song royalties.

D'Snowth said:
Somehow, this seems to only apply to DVD. I don't think VHS releases of the 80s ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS ever had issues with songs, but I know a few episodes did when released on DVD.
It seems there are also other older video releases with music that would be cut later on (I would like to think that if music rights were cleared for one video release they'd be cleared for all future video releases, but obviously there are cases where that's not the case). Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff has two songs cut from the first season DVD, and the Kids Klassics releases of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show contain song covers that were later cut from reruns and the DVD releases.

Bridget

Reaction score
Sudden question. Can somebody sum up the overall educational purpose of the Sesame Street episode "Elmo loves Gina"?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's different kinds of love for different people.

Plus, it's a common plot device in kids shows, because it's something that happens all too often in real life: a little kid will suddenly develop a crush on an older person of the opposite sex that they know, meanwhile that older person has to explain to them, as previously mentioned, there's different kinds of love for different kinds of people.

Bridget

Reaction score
Okay, I understand. It's basically like unconditional, etc. Thank you for clearing that up. I was watching it earlier and I was wondering why they had made that episode.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I actually got a refund check for one cent. Yes, ONE CENT! Now here's the dilemma, how to make the most of this unexpected windfall.

Will it put me in a higher tax bracket?
Should I invest in a diversified portfolio?
Or should I go down to Atlantic City and blow it on a penny slot?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is TWO AND A HALF MEN still on at this point? I don't even really watch it anyway, but it's just now crossed my mind that I haven't heard anything about it within the last year or two, and prior to that, it seemed in jeopardy between Charlie Sheen getting McLeaned, everybody hating on Ashton Kutcher for being the new guy (seriously, imagine back in the 70s with each cast replacement on M*A*S*H and everybody automatically started the hatin'), and Angus T. Jones going off and on the show for finding religion and stuff.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Is TWO AND A HALF MEN still on at this point? I don't even really watch it anyway, but it's just now crossed my mind that I haven't heard anything about it within the last year or two, and prior to that, it seemed in jeopardy between Charlie Sheen getting McLeaned, everybody hating on Ashton Kutcher for being the new guy (seriously, imagine back in the 70s with each cast replacement on M*A*S*H and everybody automatically started the hatin'), and Angus T. Jones going off and on the show for finding religion and stuff.
The show is now in its 11th season, but the ratings have dropped since then.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Do we still have disposable cameras, or did we throw them all away?

Drtooth

Reaction score

The appeal of the show was wearing thin before Charlie got fired from the show. I do love how passive aggressive Chuck Lorre has been about the cast members leaving. Other than Charlie being killed violently with no sympathy or even any minimal action of Rose for doing it (come on, Chuck... the family trying to sue her and failing at it would have been a much more interesting plot point than what you've put on since), they replaced Jake (the actor who clumsily found religion and went on to complain how smutty the show was, mind you) with a promiscuous lesbian/female Charlie expy. And it still didn't help the show at all.

They did end Ashton's relationship with the British woman, thankfully preventing it from being a different sitcom. I mean, if you're going to all that trouble...oh... I dunno... make another sitcom! It seems the show's basically on as a personal favor to Jon Cryer...maybe that woman who plays Berta.