Question about the big dog.

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
Is the big muppet dog on Sesame Street a girl or boy? My mom thin it's a girl and I think it's a boy.
:confused:

BEAR

Reaction score
Alpha Centauri said:
Is the big muppet dog on Sesame Street a girl or boy? My mom thin it's a girl and I think it's a boy.
:confused:
Barkley is a boy.

abiraniriba

Reaction score
muppet dog on Sesame Street's gender

The dog is a male. His name is Barkley. When he first started he was a pet of Linda Bove the first deaf person to appear on SS and could understand sign language. However, now that Linda has left the street with no explanation and other deaf people have arrived of all ages and both genders. Barkley has shifted into the background.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I've seen Barkley recently in the segment with Elmo's trycycle. So I'm hoping Linda's still around to take care of him even though she's not seen on the show anymore.

It seems like Barkley's suffering the same fate as Odie.

(If you remember the old Garfield strips with Jon's friend Lyman, you know what I'm talking about.)

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Hey Daffyfan I know exactly what you mean! I was at Barnes and Nobel the other day reading the very first Garfield Comic Book and I noticed that Guy Lyman came to live with Jon and he was the owner of Odie! Then eventually I think around 82 or so Lyman disapears but Odie is still there. Now was there ever an actual comic strip that showed Lyman moving out and saying he wasn't able to bring Odie with him? Iv'e always wanted to know. I know this is off topic so to stay on topic I'll say this. Barkley could very easily still be on Sesame Street if they wanted him to be. Just because his owner is gone doesn't really mean much. I mean when Wolfgang the seal first joined the show in 1990, he was introduced as Uncle Wally's pet seal. Uncle Wally left the show a few years later and Wolfgang continued to appear for years after that. He still remained popular. They just didn't mention his owner anymore.

Alpha Centauri

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Hey Daffyfan I know exactly what you mean! I was at Barnes and Nobel the other day reading the very first Garfield Comic Book and I noticed that Guy Lyman came to live with Jon and he was the owner of Odie! Then eventually I think around 82 or so Lyman disapears but Odie is still there. Now was there ever an actual comic strip that showed Lyman moving out and saying he wasn't able to bring Odie with him? Iv'e always wanted to know.
I read some where that Lyman died. Anyway thanks for answereing my question.

BEAR

Reaction score
Linda is also the longest running role of a physically challenged person in a television series.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Hey Daffyfan I know exactly what you mean! I was at Barnes and Nobel the other day reading the very first Garfield Comic Book and I noticed that Guy Lyman came to live with Jon and he was the owner of Odie! Then eventually I think around 82 or so Lyman disapears but Odie is still there. Now was there ever an actual comic strip that showed Lyman moving out and saying he wasn't able to bring Odie with him? Iv'e always wanted to know. I know this is off topic so to stay on topic I'll say this. Barkley could very easily still be on Sesame Street if they wanted him to be. Just because his owner is gone doesn't really mean much. I mean when Wolfgang the seal first joined the show in 1990, he was introduced as Uncle Wally's pet seal. Uncle Wally left the show a few years later and Wolfgang continued to appear for years after that. He still remained popular. They just didn't mention his owner anymore.
Well, in response to your question about Lyman. Jim Davis had mentioned in the Garfield 20th Anniversary book that he has been asked about that and there is a list of reason's why he's not around anymore. The most common one: Don't look in Jon's basement. But there was no mention of his disappearance in the strip. That is kind of strange.

Okay, now that I got that out of my system let's go back to Sesame Street. I guess it's true Barkley could still be on the show. Others could take care of him. I've seen Bob care for him and once Gordon built a doghouse for him. And there was Luis' "In and Out" song. Reminds me of the shelty I have at home. Lol. It is too bad about Linda not being on the show anymore though. Barkley might be around more often if he were seen with her.

About Wolfgang the Seal, the only time I remember seeing him was on the New Year's special. I guess I hadn't watched the show at the time he was shown as Uncle Wally's pet. I think the actor who played him died in real life, so they decided not to keep him on the show. It is a bit strange that they'd keep the seal around.

Another strange thing about Linda not being on the show anymore is that there's an episode coming up where we'll meet Bob's deaf niece. We know Bob had something going on with Linda, so how come he's never made mention of his niece before? That's strange. Hopefully in that episode, they'll make some mention of Linda.

BEAR

Reaction score
I just saw Linda today sitting on the stoop with a kid and they were signing the word "hot". I was surprised to see her, even so briefly.