Question about Peter Pan peanut butter

salemfan

Reaction score
Okay, I saw a container of Donald Duck orange juice, and it says (C)The Walt Disney Company. I know why, but on jars of Peter Pan peanut butter, it does not say (C) The Walt Disney Company. Why doesn't it say (C)The Walt Disney Company on jars of Peter Pan peanut butter?

MGov

Reaction score
Because Donald Duck is an original Disney Character. Peter Pan did not originate with Disney. Neither did Winnie the Pooh.

salemfan

Reaction score
When I first told my mom about Donald Duck orange juice, she thought it might have been a container of Minute Maid or Tropicana with Donald Duck ON IT. Why did she think this with Donald Duck orange juice, but knew Peter Pan peanut butter was the brand?

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Because Peter Pan Peanutbutter has been has been around since 1928 (actually, it has been around longer, but was renamed Peter Pan in '28). That's the same year Walt Disney developed Mickey Mouse and 6 years before Donald Duck. By the time Disney released their film version of Peter Pan in 1953, the peanut butter brand had been using the name for a quarter of a century.

Peter Pan was a well known children's book well before Disney animated it. IMDB lists the first Peter Pan film as released in 1924. The 100th anniversary edition of the book was released in 2003, which means Walt was all of two when the book was first published. Peter Pan pre-dates Disney.

Donald, on the other hand, was created by and for Disney. As far as I know, Disney has always owned Donald. Thus products with Donald's name and/or image must be licensed by Disney. I don't think Sandy Duncan needed Disney's stamp of approval everytime she played Peter Pan on stage. Disney own's their animated film version of Peter Pan, not the brand as a whole. At least as far as I'm aware.

salemfan

Reaction score
Peter Pan peanut butter was originally called E.K. Pond. Where did the name E.K. Pond originate? Why did the manufacturers change the name to Peter Pan in 1928?

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Disney used to make Peter Pan commericals in the 1950s and the 1960s, I think. I remember reading in Bill Peet's biography that when an animator ****** off Walt Disney, he would send them down in the basement to work on Peter Pan Peanut Butter commercials.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
woh... I know this is kinda off topic, but where did you find the donald duck orange juice? I cant find it anymore, and its kinda part of my childhood. My daddy used to make it for me alot on sundays. :smile:

salemfan

Reaction score
Here's the story, and you'll see where I got mine. In 1995, when I was in second grade, we had to bring in small cans to make pencil holders, and somebody brought in an empty can of Donald Duck orange juice. I asked my mom to buy some, and she couldn't find it at our local supermarket. She thought it might have been Minute Maid or Tropicana with Donald Duck on it. But she asked the classmate's mother where the Donald Duck Orange Juice came from, and the answer was Demoulas' Market Basket. We went up and bought some, but I can't guarantee that they still carry it.

BEAR

Reaction score
MuppetQuilter said:
Because Peter Pan Peanutbutter has been has been around since 1928 (actually, it has been around longer, but was renamed Peter Pan in '28). That's the same year Walt Disney developed Mickey Mouse and 6 years before Donald Duck. By the time Disney released their film version of Peter Pan in 1953, the peanut butter brand had been using the name for a quarter of a century.

Peter Pan was a well known children's book well before Disney animated it. IMDB lists the first Peter Pan film as released in 1924. The 100th anniversary edition of the book was released in 2003, which means Walt was all of two when the book was first published. Peter Pan pre-dates Disney.

Donald, on the other hand, was created by and for Disney. As far as I know, Disney has always owned Donald. Thus products with Donald's name and/or image must be licensed by Disney. I don't think Sandy Duncan needed Disney's stamp of approval everytime she played Peter Pan on stage. Disney own's their animated film version of Peter Pan, not the brand as a whole. At least as far as I'm aware.

Sounds right to me!