Puppet Arm Rods

Fireyes

Reaction score

SesameKermie

Reaction score
I think this was mentioned in Drew Allison's Foam Book and the accompanying videos, but he uses the wire that they use to hang ceiling tiles and Doll Joints. He bends the top in a loop around the post of the doll joint, kind of like the puppet planet tutorial, and then he bends the wire back into a 'square' loop at the bottom of the rod to make a handle.

Hope this helps,

Jason

larz

Reaction score
I've used steel welding rods with dowel handles, but they are pretty heavy. I recently found some carbon graphite rods leftover from a kite and they are VERY light! The only problem with those is the arms wobble a little. I am looking for a good source for a thicker diameter CF rod so things will be more stable. Other folks say they use coat hanger wire (which to me would be wobbly) and piano wire, too.

I am also working on an easy way to make detachable arm rods. I'll share if I get good results!

- Larry

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
Use coat hanger wire for now if you can't find anything else. I don't think it would be too wobbly . . . it's pretty hard to bend in the first place.

Fireyes

Reaction score
I did toss on some coat hangers for now, but it's really hard to get them straight enough, and it does leave the hands pretty wobbly.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Check out Project Puppets tube method, or the clasp method as seen in PLAYSOUP's video series...tres bien!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
yea dont go with the coat hangers.. with my first puppet i thought (what wire can i use thats good?) so yea i myself thought the same.. but no its hard to striaghten, and it sways alot.

I went with wood sticks i found in the craft section of walmart. ITS CHEAP. I had to paint em black

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
We've always used dowels painted black because that's what we learned, but they don't give you much control.

doesn't Andrew have a tutorial for arm rods floating around somewhere? I remember liking what I saw (however I never did try it).

I *did* just get a dremel for my birthday, so....HOORAY!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
There are tons of old threads about arm rods with great information. Just search the puppetry forum for "arm rods" and you'll find everything you need to know.