Preventing a Possible Disney Buyout

Cantus' Ghost

Reaction score
Disney is evil- pure and simple. I'm not saying this because I don't like the company's product, but because of some disgusting, proven facts about Disney's wheelings and dealings.

The most obvious issue is the sweatshops. There is far too much information to relay, so please visit these sites to learn more:

http://www.nlcnet.org/resources/disney.htm

http://www.cleanclothes.org/companies/disney.htm

http://www.salon.com/may97/media/media970529.html

http://indy.pabn.org/archives/109wonde.shtml

http://itrs.scu.edu/mcalkins/spring00/disney/disney.html

http://www.uniteunion.org/sweatshops/sweatshoparchive/mickey.html

There are literally hundreds of other sites, too.

The point I'm trying to make is Disney is engaging in unfair, inhumane labor practices in the third world. 'The Gilded Rat' has also expressed an interest in buying the Henson Company. This means that Muppet merchandise could be made in sweatshops while Disney takes home unheard of profits (as they have done for years).

I need help drafting a petition to the Henson Company that could hopefully end any negogiations with Disney. Any past collaborations with Disney are in the past, so I'm not demonizing the Hensons. But in light of all the documentation, protest, consciousness, etc, I believe it would be in the best interests of the third world (and the Henson Co) to avoid doing business, thus, providing more revenue for one of the world's largest and richest corporations who exploits the poor.

Please help me out if you agree. We can communicate through email to get this moving as quick as possible. Please don't blow this off. It may not be possible to hold Disney accountable, but , hopefully, we could prevent the Muppets from getting involved in this horrible mess...

Much obliged, y'all.
- C-Dogg

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
I am not saying what they are doing is good but what about Warner Brothers, Viacom, Universal, Dreamworks, HIT Entermainment, Mattel, Hasbro and so on.

Cantus' Ghost

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I looked on Yahoo & WB, Universal, & Viacom DO have sweatshops in the third world.

Disney manufactures a great deal of their products. Most entertainment firms (WB, Henson) license their likenesses to companies who do the manufacturing and production.

So, any petition should include ALL entertainment firms engaging in unfair, exploitative labor practices.

Any takers?

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Cantus' Ghost
So, any petition should include ALL entertainment firms engaging in unfair, exploitative labor practices.
You wouldn't have any left. Expand it to ones not involved with drugs, crime, and government bribery and you definitely won't have any left !

Have you ever eaten in McDonalds ? You'd be amazed at what their people have got upto over the years.

Struble

Reaction score
Disney is evil- pure and simple. I'm not saying this because I don't like the company's product, but because of some disgusting, proven facts about Disney's wheelings and dealings.
Does that make me evil by association? :stick_out_tongue:

Sh.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Say what you will! I'd rather have Disney buy the Muppets than.. SABAN!!! Shudder!! He wrote good music for Inspector Gadget cartoons, but no way will I stand by when he gets his yen grubbing mitts of pure pure evil (100%, Disney is a mere 97%, they may have sweat shops, but their animation department is pretty good!).

I will not take the Muppets being bought and sold by the "Brains" behind Mighty Morphine Power Rangers, Mighty Morphine Power Rangers in Time, Mighty Morphine Power Rangers inside of a coat, and Mighty Morphine Power Raqngers stock footage show! No way!! Over my Tutti Frutti, Rudy!!! I'll buy them!! Maybe if we all can take up a collection, we ALL can buy them.

Disney... The lesser of two evils!

kansasteen14

Reaction score
Disney isnt evil,but you are.like Luke said just about all entertainment conglomerates do this and I also whether have Disney buy them.

Sweetums74

Reaction score
I stand corrected. I looked on Yahoo & WB, Universal, & Viacom DO have sweatshops in the third world.

CG- why concentrate on Entertainment companies? why not expand it to all companies that have their items produced in overseas production houses?
Look at one item that we all use everyday... clothing.
I'm sure that you've already looked at the labels of all of your clothes and did the research behind where they were manufactured, right? I'm also sure that the clothes that you owned that may have been manufactured in conditions that you personally do not agree with were promptly taken to the nearest trash can and promptly discarded.

The thing is, right now Disney-bashing is the "in-thing" to do (and I'm not just talking about in this forum) and this is just another example of another way to go about doing it. Ignore all of the other companies across the board and concentrate on Disney.

If overseas production is something that is important to you, then by all means, do what you can to make a difference. Just don't rely on websites, though. Go out and do your own research. Look at all companies. Don't forget the cost of living in that particular country-- because the cost of living there isn't as expensive as it is in the U.S.

After doing all of your own research and you still feel strongly about it, then start eliminating those companies' products from your personal daily life.

Personally, I can't take someone seriously if they are spouting "facts" about Disney's offshore labor practices while they are wearing clothes from the Gap and Nike sneakers. It's a tad bit hypocritical to me. If someone is against offshore labor practices, then they need to be totally against it. Not just concentrating on one company. Reason being- if they succeed with that one company, another company is going to step in and production is going to resume again... in effect nothing changed.

It is just something to think about and I hope that you do not think that I'm personally attacking you. In all honesty, I don't know where I stand on the issue. I like to hear both sides and play devil's advocate with both. So far in what I've looked into, neither side is really accurate. I've seen many inconsistancies with the "facts" on websites such as the ones you mentioned... and every large company says "We send people to check on conditions and everything is OK".

C

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sweetums74
why concentrate on Entertainment companies? why not expand it to all companies that have their items produced in overseas production houses?
Look at one item that we all use everyday... clothing.
I'm sure that you've already looked at the labels of all of your clothes and did the research behind where they were manufactured, right? I'm also sure that the clothes that you owned that may have been manufactured in conditions that you personally do not agree with were promptly taken to the nearest trash can and promptly discarded.
I couldn't agree more! Sweat shops are everywhere. It saves some rich bum about 100 dollars after they spend so much shipping! If they didn't do that the idiot Longshore men wouldn't've done that stupid lockout thing.

Man, this planet blows!:mad:

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by Sweetums74
Personally, I can't take someone seriously if they are spouting "facts" about Disney's offshore labor practices while they are wearing clothes from the Gap and Nike sneakers. It's a tad bit hypocritical to me. If someone is against offshore labor practices, then they need to be totally against it. Not just concentrating on one company. Reason being- if they succeed with that one company, another company is going to step in and production is going to resume again... in effect nothing changed.
Although, it can be even worse if another company doesn't step in and do production there. After Nike and Reebok pulled out of some Indonesian factories they shut down and unemployment skyrocketed. Many of the underage workers have turned to prostitution to try to support their families.
Most major companies have developed codes of conduct in order to insure safe working conditions, fair wages, etc. I know Nike's can be found on this site and I'm sure Disney has similar info avaliable.
It's important to educate yourself on any issue before you start trying to rally people to your cause.