Play With Me Sesame moves to Sprout

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Beginning tomorrow Wednesday September 26, Play With Me Sesame will begin airing on PBS Kids Sprout. Play With Me Sesame was originally produced for the Noggin network with a four-year agreement to air the show. Two seasons of the show were produced under Noggin in the US. Since this is a “segment” show it’s possible Sesame Workshop might have changed some of the clips from the original Noggin airings or the episodes may be exactly the same. We'll have to wait and see.

What will be interesting is if Sprout begins airing with the first season which Noggin has aired less frequently than season 2. Season 1 features Steve Whitmire as Ernie while season 2 stars John Tartaglia. Check out the shows on PBS Kids’ Sprout and let us know what you think.

Also, don't forget that on October 30, two Play With Me Sesame DVD's will be released. These should be nice DVD's due to their extended length and all the great classic clips that are shown on Play With Me Sesame. Here are the Amazon links to pre-order: Playtime with Grover DVD and Goodnight Sesame DVD. As usual it's a great way to get the best price on these discs with free shipping and support Muppet Central at the same time by using the above links to order.

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
I recorded both Play With Me Sesame episodes today on my DVR and it is a bit different from the Noggin version. There are no kids saying "Play with Me Sesame!" in them so the theme song also no longer has kids in it.

There are also more kinda-classic segments in Play With Me Sesame now. Today there was a The Adventures of Prairie Dawn: The Empty Box and "Bert's Blanket", "Do De Rubber Duck" and "I Like to Sing Loud" with Ernie and Bert and a Fat Blue and Grover sketch where Fat Blue orders spegetti and a sketch where Ernie and Bert plays opposites.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I wished i could see this. That would be neat to see something newer then on how that did show them on Noggin.

CookieCountDawn

Reaction score
In today's two episodes, there was Kermit interviewing Old MacDonald and Ernie and Bert "Were there really animals living In On and Under" and the original "Healthy Food".
Plus, there was a classic sketch with Prairie Dawn and Elmo performing 'The Minuet in G by Johann Sebastian Bach'. And another classic sketch with Cookie Monster and Prairie Dawn talking about three important parts of the body - the eyes, the nose and the ears. Also a song with Baby Bear and Papa Bear singing "Big Bear Hug".

And at the end of the one of the episodes, they showed "Clap, Clap, Clap" and the other was Kingston Livingston singing "A Cat Had a Birthday". (Both were edited to have Grover in them)

There was a bit more stuff but I'm just saying the main sketches in the episodes.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a rundown of the classic clips shown on Friday's two episodes. For those who haven't seen the Sprout changes, the first episode has a break in between Prairie's art show that cuts to new Sprout footage and the second episode drops Prairie's art show all together but without a break. In most cases at least one extra classic skit is shown in each episode in comparison to the Noggin version.

Friday - Episode 5

Herry Reads a Book with Elmo
Two-Headed Monster Plays with a Pencil
Prairie and Cookie Play Blindfolded
Do Op Do Op Hop
Grover and Prairie Talk about Surprise
E&B Air Moves Things

Friday - Episode 6

Grover's Workout Video
Adventures of Elmo: Grover and Roofus
Humphrey and Natasha on Noses
Prairie and Cookie Show First and Last
Fuzzy and Blue
Ernie Plays House

ssetta

Reaction score
Play With Me Sesame on Sprout

As some of you may know, Sprout has picked up Play With Me Sesame, which was previously seen on Noggin. However, it seems that the Sprout version is slightly different than the Noggin version. All of the original material seems to be the same, but some of the inserts that have been pulled from the regular Sesame Street series are not, and there are some of which I have not seen in a long time. For instance, there was one today with Frazzle at the dentist, and there was a song sung by Rosita, Betty Lou, Zoe, and Prairie Dawn called "I'm a Real Live Girl of the World" or something like that. I don't think either of these have been seen since Season 29. And there was also Prairie Dawn's adventure with the Trash Can, which hasn't been seen in a REALLY long time.

But also, there are even some inserts that were taped, but I don't think were EVER used. There was one today with Eric's Bert and Steve's Ernie. It one of the ones just with a sky background, and they're playing copycat. And I can TOTALLY understand why it was never used on the show. Here's how it went:

Ernie asks Bert to play Copycat, and he says something like "I really don't wanna play this game." Ernie then copies him by saying "I really don't wanna play this game." And it just goes on like that for awhile, until Bert gets really frustrated and says "How would you like if it I just kept copying you?" And then Ernie said that wasn't a bad idea. He then did all this really crazy stuff, and Bert tried to copy him, but it was too hard. And then Ernie just kept copying Bert all over again, and they continued to do this. And then the musical button used at the end was one of the ones they had in the 70s!

So, the reason why I don't think this was ever used was because it really didn't go anywhere, and it didn't really seem very educational at all. In fact, it looks like it was just thrown together at the last minute without much planning ahead. And somehow, I bet there wasn't even any script.

sesameinsider

Reaction score
PWMS on Sprout

The PWMS eps that are airing on Sprout were originally reedited and repackaged for Sesame Workshop to sell internationally. They removed all the films and bits featuring American kids faces and added in some more classic bits featuring characters that are beloved around the world. Then Sprout added back in the Prarie Dawn art show so that they could incorporate it with their live morning show!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The PWMS eps that are airing on Sprout were originally reedited and repackaged for Sesame Workshop to sell internationally. They removed all the films and bits featuring American kids faces and added in some more classic bits featuring characters that are beloved around the world. Then Sprout added back in the Prarie Dawn art show so that they could incorporate it with their live morning show!
Why were the Prairie Dawn segments cut anyway? Of course, I never saw the show until today, when I bought one of the Play with Me Sesame DVDs that came out.

sesameinsider

Reaction score
PD Segments

The Prarie Dawn art segments were originally removed from the international versions because they featured American kids faces, names, and drawings. Plus those were actual kid art submissions that Noggin received. So when Sprout started airing PWMS they wanted their own unique Art Show.

By the way, which PWMS DVD did you buy? What do you think?