New Monkees cd....

ferrell

Reaction score
I got the new Monkee's cd "Good Times" and I like it.. It is better than "Pool It" and just as good if not better than "Justus" both of which are reunion albums, with Pool It featuring JUST Micky, Davy and Peter and Justus having all 4 on it, writing ,playing and producing each tracks similar to "Headquarters.This new cd is interesting for the fact that they actually not only have 3 new songs written by each Member one by Mike, one by Micky and one by Peter, another neat thing is that Davy Jones has been "Brought back from the grave" so to speak with a rare Monkees song called "Love to Love" written by Neil Diamond and released in the past on the missing links series, this version has been augmented with new background vocals although the music sounds the same, at least to these ears..this cd also has 4 songs dusted up from the vaults and finished. let;s go track by track..

1. Good times- a long lost Harry Nilsson song from 1968 dusted off and finished and yes Harry is actually singing on the track, I would describe it as sounding very 60's,it sounds like Micky's voice is from nowadays and not from back then, really cool song. this only features Micky and Mike.
2. You Bring the Summer- This track i the first on the cd to have all three surviving Monkees singing together, this sounds very 60's, very catchy tune. with a backward guitar, it kind of reminds me of the Beatles maybe something from "revolver".
3. She makes me laugh- another song to feature all three of the surviving members singing together.This is just a great song, very pretty lyrics, this was the first single from the cd and I can see why.
4. our own world- this one sounds like the theme ong for Crank Yankers...lol..no seriously it has a similar sound to that, but I would also describe it as sounding like XTC, it kinds of reminds me of "Your mother should know" or "Good day sunshine" by the Beatles a really upbeat happy song with a nice melody. and it features all 3 of the surviving members.
5. Gotta give it time- now this is one of those songs dusted off from the 60's,1967 to be exact, I'm almost sure it is Micky's original vocal from back then because he sounds younger, this one says on the liner notes that he is the only monkees singing and playing on this one, however there is a voice that sounds a lot like Mike singing in the back ground, however I have a feeling that the songwriter Jeff Barry may be the one singing because he did other songs with the Monkees back in the 60' where he is doing the background vocals in order to sound like other members of the group, most notably the "Changes" album . not a bad song but not great.
6. Me and Magdalina- this is easily one of he best songs on the cd, this only has Mike and Micky, peter is missing for some reason. Very modern sounding, almost like a song you may hear on a college radio station, very folk sounding. very mellow. I would love to see a video for this.
7. Whatevers right- a Boyce and hart song which I assume is from the 60's but it doesn't appear to be dusted off but appears to have been recorded now,of course it wouldn't have been written now since Tommy Boyce has been dead for awhile.
8. Love to Love- The one Davy Jones song that was put on the cd, it's kind of sad to hear it since he passed away. almost brought tear to my eyes. too bad they didn't update the music, but I guess they did the best with what they had.
9. Little Girl- a Peter Tork song this one only features Peter and not any of the other members, the interesting thing is that Peter says that he wrote this one for Davy to sing but he died and never recorded it.
10. Birth of an accidental hipster- I'm not a big fan of Oasis but this song is pretty good,yes this was writen by Noel Gallagher, it's 60's psychedelic at it's best, it reminds me of "Shorty Blackwell" another monkees song, also reminds me of the Beach Boys recording from the Smile era almost like "Heros and Villians" or "Good Vibrations" this one only features Mike and Micky again Peter seems to be missing from this one.
11. wasn't born to follow- another 60' song dusted off from the shelf this one was written by Carol King and is sung by Peter, the other monkess are missing. the voice sounds like Peter nowadays so I'm going to assume that the music is from back from 1968. this has a very folk sound to it.
12. I know what I know- The Michael Nesmith song of the cd, this only features him, the other monkees are not on it. it's a pretty song,with pretty lyrics, almost sounds like Paul McCartney in alot of ways. it's nice to hear Mike again on a monkees cd...
13. I was there (and I'm told I had a good time)- the Micky Dolenz song of the cd again, like Mike and Peters original songs, none of the other monkees are on it. This one sounds similar to "Come Together" or "Get Back" or maybe "Why don't we do it in the road" from the Beatles,it has a basic blues rift...

so all in all I liked the cd...just wished they had one more Davy Jones song on it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Wasn't Born To Follow was originally recorded by the Byrds (found on the album "Notorious Byrd Brothers").

Seems like they followed the Beatles formula of dusting off old tracks and dressing them up, like "Free As A Bird" and "Real Love" from the Anthology series.

Like George Harrison said before he passed, "I hope after I'm dead, they dig up all my crap demos and make them hits too!"