New 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs' TV series

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Is there now some kind of unwritten rule that all CGI movies must go to series afterwards?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see a prequel working well. It's probably going to be just Flynn making failing inventions. They really should have done something with the (far superior) sequel's plotline on the food island, even if it's a kiddier, Westerner version of Toriko (only they don't eat the food creatures).

At any rate, the words "on Cartoon Network" sound like it's going to air at 6:30 Am Saturdays for a month and then get replaced with another TTG rerun. So if you're thinking "why the *&*^?!" it'll probably not be around that long. Probably will get pushed to weekend afternoons on Boomerang.

I'm more excited by the news of a Hotel Transylvania series. I'm a sucker for that Monster Mash stuff.

Is there now some kind of unwritten rule that all CGI movies must go to series afterwards?
We've gone through a long period where only Disney was making animated series based on their films, and a strange line of adult shows based on movies, none of which lasted very long. Shame for Napoleon Dynamite and Black Dynamite, not so much the disappointing Spaceballs. Dreamworks is finding new life with their Netflix deal, after being screwed by Nickelodeon. Other than that, I don't see too many more movies being TV show. Gone are the days of otherwise inappropriate adult live action movies (relatively speaking) being made into kid's programs. Though there's to be a new Ghostbusters cartoon in a couple years, we're not seeing the likes of Men in Black or Beetlejuice any time soon.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Surprised they haven't made one for Shrek or Ice Age yet, but all these animated blockbusters get these Nickelodeon,Cartoon Network, or Netflix releases of series that all have these traits

1) Obviously much cheaper animation
2) New voice actors as the big name celebrities don't want to be part of it
3) The content is toned down to be much more aimed at children

For what it's worth they can be enjoyable, but are obvious cash-ins.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Count me in for a Hotel Transylvania series though I still haven't seen either film and I heard there's going to be a third to make it a trilogy.

Good thing about Netflicks getting all the kid show deals they are is Power Rangers Shinobi won't be unnecessarily split into two season packets with the second half branded as "Super" (*insert Power Rangers series title) and counting as a separate season for the overall franchise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Surprised they haven't made one for Shrek or Ice Age yet, but all these animated blockbusters get these Nickelodeon,Cartoon Network, or Netflix releases of series that all have these traits

3) The content is toned down to be much more aimed at children

For what it's worth they can be enjoyable, but are obvious cash-ins.
And they were always like that. Especially with Disney, even though they tried to get as many of the lesser known voice talents back in as possible. I don't think even if they were on good terms at the time Disney could have got Robin Williams back to voice the Genie in the Aladdin cartoon. They got back everyone else, though. I especially like that the new Lion Guard cartoon wasn't able to get Mathew Broderick as Simba, but replaced him with Rob Lowe, another celebrity voice actor instead of a sound alike.

Then again, there are the times they get some of the cast to reprise their roles. Peabody and Sherman still has Max Charles as Sherman, Lucy Liu and James Hong returned to their specific characters for Kung Fu Panda, and <att Jones came back as his Home character. Granted, they're all artoon series voice actors anyway (especially Max). The weirdest example was Ernie Hudson not being able to voice his own character in Ghostbusters, especially as he was Cyborg on the last iteration of Super Friends a few years prior. But that's on DIC trying to make the Ghostbusters not resemble their movie counterparts.

I always liked these cartoon movie tie ins, Often they're better than the sequels they spawn.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Count me in for a Hotel Transylvania series though I still haven't seen either film and I heard there's going to be a third to make it a trilogy.
I second that, I think Hotel Transylvania could make a great series, and I have seen the movies!

Well, they don't have much choice where the animation is concerned, they do have to produce several more hours of animation than the movies do. Plus they have to produce episodes more quickly than you would make a film, so cheaper animation makes a lot of sense.

As for the celebrities, I don't think it's usually so much that they don't want to reprise their roles, it's usually just that they don't have much time on their schedule to do so.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As for the celebrities, I don't think it's usually so much that they don't want to reprise their roles, it's usually just that they don't have much time on their schedule to do so.

And money. Let's not forget that not too many will cut a good paying gig for a cheaper one if they can help it.

The Hotel Transylvania one in particular sounds like its going to be produced in Canada, so it might just have Canadian voice talent instead.

On the plus side, someone else is going to voice Dracula that isn't Adam Sandler. That's a plus in my book.

Personally, I'd love to see more shows take the Mr. Peabody and Sherman/Croods/Home route and go from a 3-D CGI cartoon to a digitally animated 2-D show. I rather like the looks of those three.

snichols1973

Reaction score
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Tim Lockwood, Flint's dad, resembles the Swedish Chef?

They both have similar looking monobrows and mustaches; some might even think they were distantly related... :hungry:

snichols1973

Reaction score
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that Tim Lockwood, Flint's dad, resembles the Swedish Chef?

They both have similar looking monobrows and mustaches; some might even think they were distantly related... :hungry:
:news:: And now, the weather. Tonight's forecast is cloudy with a chance of Swedish meatballs. ( :news: pauses and does a double take) Cloudy with a chance of Swedish meatballs ? ( :news: gets hit by a barrage of Swedish meatballs)