NEED LOTS OF HELP! BUILDING PROFESSIONAL PUPPET! *All help greatly appreciated*

Beakerballistic

Reaction score
This is very important to me. I need to build a professional puppet. If you want to know, it's a Rayman video game character puppet. I need to know all tips you might know... What to use for eyes, hair, etc. Oh, and most important... foam and how to carve it. And what with? A turkey carver? And if any of you live around the area, where is there a foam factory or store around New York? Hahhh... almost done... And do you all know who Rayman is? I'll give you a picture of him: here:http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/rayman2.jpg
You all know what I'm talking about?
Oh yeah! Where do you get muppet arm rods? Oh, and can I use a hot glue gun for the whole thing, or if i have to use a sewing machine... I can't do it.

:flirt: you all,
BEAKERBALLISTIC

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I just have to say how much I love that game.

Most of your questions have been answered in this thread:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=18499

and for resources go to:
http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=21416

Good luck!

Edit:
I realized that I wasn't being all that helpful. To answer the biggest question: no you dont have to use a sewing machine. You can make a puppet (professional puppet) any darn way you'd like. How clean and smooth (professional?) it looks will only depend on your skills as an artist, not by the technique or materials you use to make it. So yeah, go ahead and dive in and do some awesome problem solving--which is what puppet building is kind-of about!

Jinx

Reaction score
Strictly speaking, to make a professional puppet you just make a puppet and then pay it for being a puppet. However, to build a professional-quality puppet, well that's a completely different kettle of fish!

A broom painted blue with sunglasses and a rubber ball nose could be considered a professional-quality puppet. But an awful lot of what will define "professional-quality" will be the context in which the puppet wil be used.

And not to sound mean, but your original post might as well say "can you teach me how to build a car this weekend? Where do you get metal? How do you make fenders?"

No craft worth doing well is going to be easily learned. If you've never built a puppet before you might as well resign yourself to the fact that you will not build a top-grade puppet your first time out. This is not to say that you can't build a good or even great puppet, but some realistic expectations are in order.

And by all means spend some time...LOTS and LOTS of time scouring these forums. (The "search" function is your friend!) I guarantee that every topic you're asking about has been discussed at length, not to mention a lot of things you might not think to ask!

Good luck!

biblebetty

Reaction score
I have to agreed Jinx I was thinking the samething. But please if you do this tell us what happen, show pics. I'd like to see your first puppet.

muppetcrazy36

Reaction score
This is very important to me. I need to build a professional puppet. If you want to know, it's a Rayman video game character puppet. I need to know all tips you might know... What to use for eyes, hair, etc. Oh, and most important... foam and how to carve it. And what with? A turkey carver? And if any of you live around the area, where is there a foam factory or store around New York? Hahhh... almost done... And do you all know who Rayman is? I'll give you a picture of him: here:http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/rayman2.jpg
You all know what I'm talking about?
Oh yeah! Where do you get muppet arm rods? Oh, and can I use a hot glue gun for the whole thing, or if i have to use a sewing machine... I can't do it.

:flirt: you all,
BEAKERBALLISTIC
" when Life gives you lemons, make a puppet?" i dont kow any possible wasto make a how made puppet, unless it invaulves a sock.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Oh! I would really love to see someone build a Rayman puppet as well! That would be amaizng and would love to see it in operation!