Muppet video "Holy Grails" Found!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hi, all,

On the old MC forum a while back, someone once asked what were the rarest, most hard-to-find Muppet videos. At the time, someone (Micheal, I think) said that the rarest ones were the "Jim Henson Play-Along" interactive videos for very young kids. So I told someone that I trade with to keep an eye out for me. Amazingly enough, he actually found them!

In fact, he found two of the four. One is "Neat Stuff" and the other is "Hey, You're as Funny as Fozzie Bear." I didn't know exactly how much they were worth, so I let this guy set the price. He said he was willing to sell them to me for $15 a tape.

I've got the tapes now, and here's the thing: the tapes are even shrinkwrapped! (That's impressive if one assumes, of course, that he didn't take it someplace and get it re-wrapped himself to make it appear more valuable.)

So does anyone know how much these tapes are actually worth, then? Also, I'm looking for advice on whether or not I should unwrap them. The value stays better if they're wrapped, but of course I'm curious about seeing the programs, and also I can trade copies of the program with people if I open them up. (For that matter, the videos may not even be worth that much -- they may just be rare in relative terms. I just don't know!)

If anyone has any information on this, or thoughts or opinions, please let me know. Thanks!

Luke

Reaction score
Hey Tom,

Firstly i wouldn't unwrap them obviously till you are aware of all the facts - Michael's email is Michael@kermitage.com - i suggest you drop him a line cos i've heard him mention these quite a bit too.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

I think they were very Rare like a year ago, But it seems they pop up more now.

'Hey, Youre As Funny As Fozzie Bear' is even on WinMX now !
Its a Napster type thing.

See ya

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
I picked up a new copy of Neat Stuff for about $10. No idea if that is fiar market value, but it was what the seller was charging and I was willing to pay it.

Thog

Reaction score
I have a promotional tape from Jim Henson Productions that is from Muppet Hits 2. It's got a few of the music numbers from the CD. I'm not sure where it came from or how many were sent out.

Dan

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
i picked up hey your as funnie as fozzie bear ata flea two summer ago.

box is kinda faded but the tape is fine

Zack)Rowlf the, would would ike to get the tape of Rowlf skits from the muppet show Dog.

Michael

Reaction score
The Play-along videos while being fairly unusual can't really be called rare. There turn up fairly often and are quite easy to get for a reasonable price. $10 - $15 is about average if not a little more than I've seen paid for them.

Tom I'd recommend you open them and enjoy them, "Funny as Fozzie" is a nice example of Jim Henson and Frank Oz chemistry and the idea behind these videos is very clever, actually enabling the child who's watching to be involved in jokes and tricks etc not just sing-along. If you can find the "Hey you're a cartoonist" tape then get it also, that features Picklepuss Caroll Spinney's original creation.

As far as rare mass produced videos go the ones that are the rarest are two created specifically for a Viewmaster Console. The console bombed and the videos rarely saw the light of day. The first video was set in Muppet Labs and the second was a film studio setting with one "film" being a rendition of Pigs In Space (including Link). The idea behind them was that you played the videos and via the console took part in the actual show deciding different endings or playing games to help the characters. The tapes are very nicely made and include all the big gun puppeteers in one of the last things they did altogether.

Michael.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>"Hey, You're as Funny as Fozzie Bear." <<<

Oh man! I remember finding that a few years back. I think theres even some obscure cameos in that(Gorgon Heap or Luncheon Monster if I remember) Defnately a great rarity from that glorious era of the late 80's!

Aerosmith

Reaction score
My libary used to have "Hey youre a cartoonist" and I borrowed it once. They might still have I dont since I havent been there in awhile. :smile:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Thanks for straightening that out, Micheal! I obviously had the two confused. Unfortunately, I did an eBay search *after* I got the tapes in the mail and found out just what you said -- that the tapes aren't all that rare. In fact, most of the dealers were selling them shrinkwrapped, just like mine was...though it turns out mine, at least, was a forged shrinkwrapping. After opening it up, I found stickers with the names of the videos inexplicably stuck over the proper labels (i.e. the genuine "Neat Stuff" label was partially covered by a sticker in which someone wrote, by hand, "Neat Stuff"). The stickers were easily removable, fortunately, but naturally I highly doubt they were shipped from the factory like that. Even more telling, each video had a bar-scan label from the video store that they came from. So while I don't think the seller was deliberately trying to rip me off, I think I have, in fact, been ripped off. :frown:

Sorry for the false alarm, everyone. It wasn't a Muppet holy grail at all. It was, in fact, just a grail-shaped lemon. Just be aware and be careful when you make your own purchases of these tapes.

Anyway, so I must have been thinking of those View-Master things. Micheal, just to be clear: would those tapes ONLY play on a View-Master console, or would I be able to play those on a regular American VCR as well? Have you ever seen these tapes for sale at all, and if so, how much were they going for? (For that matter, have you ever seen a View-Master console for sale?)

Thanks,