Muppet Auditions: Los Angeles

ScrapsFlippy

Reaction score
About 70 people in attendance. I expected a line around the block at 7:00 am, which is a very puppet-nerd thing to expect. ("Where is everybody? Don't they know how COOL this is?!?")

Jeff is the Disney guy. Kevin Clash is the dude in charge of Sesame Muppets.

-- Scraps

OverUnderAround

Reaction score
ScrapsFlippy said:
About 70 people in attendance. I expected a line around the block at 7:00 am, which is a very puppet-nerd thing to expect. ("Where is everybody? Don't they know how COOL this is?!?")

Jeff is the Disney guy. Kevin Clash is the dude in charge of Sesame Muppets.

-- Scraps
Wow! Only 70 in L.A.! And only 80 in NY! That is a surprising and disappointing turnout! I know the Muppets aren't at the height of their fame right now and I would believe that would partially account for the low turnout. Big difference from years ago when the Henson's auditioned 1,000 people right after the Muppet show days. I also agree with you, this is very COOL and the line SHOULD have been around the block.

Yes, I understand Kevin is the Sesame captain, but I was informed Jeff represented Sesame as well. Anyway, thanks for the clarification ScrapsFlippy. Much appreciated.:smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Bear, you didn't go?
:sympathy:

No, unfortunately I didn't make it. I was going to and I was up and preparing to go, but things got in the way. I just should have planned ahead better. Oh well. There is always next time. From what I understand, the auditions were not easy. Even the more experienced puppeteers didn't get passed the second or third rounds. If they couldn't, I am sure I would not be much better either.

Whatever

Reaction score
Melonpool said:
Kevin was there at this one, too.
I thought at first you were talking about Fozzie Bear. He was there too. :smile:

AAO

Reaction score
Well congrates to all those who went to L.A.
Although, I do envy that the L.A. audtions used "Hey Ya!" instead of "Candyman" - I LOVE "HEY YA!" I've actually done a puppet performance using "Hey Ya!"
Oh well, I'm going to Sesame Street in November - anyone else from the L.A. auditions get picked by Kevin for that?!

Whatever

Reaction score
AAO said:
Oh well, I'm going to Sesame Street in November - anyone else from the L.A. auditions get picked by Kevin for that?!
Congratulations! We're very proud of you and not a little bit jealous!
(Not a little bit- a LOT jealous!)

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Martin Baker has been with Jim Henson for YEARS n years...was around for The Muppet Show as I recall.

The Saturday Night dinner was an awesome time of fun and getting to know folks better again, and meet folks for the first time. We had fun there.

BTW, Bear--we missed you at the dinner on Saturday Night! You could've come for that!

TravelTravel

Reaction score
I was at the L.A. audition and the highlight of the weekend was not the audition, but the new friendships! Dinner on Saturday was so fun ... a great chance to get to know what other people are doing with puppetry around the country. Thanks to Kevin and Earl for organizing the group!

Regarding the number of people who auditioned: On Friday, #64 was the last number. Even though I had been cut, I popped in the studio on Saturday morning to see if my new acquaintances were still in the mix. I ran into Rick Lyon (of Avenue Q fame) who was #65 ... and I saw several other new people who weren't at the Friday event. The highest number I saw was #68. I also understand about 15 people were invited to a private audition on Thursday (people who either had an agent or were previously involved in Muppet/Disney film projects). So that would bring the total to 83 or more.

Of the 64 on Friday, less than 15 people made it to the point where they were able to perform character voices. I believe the lip-sync exercise was nearly irrelevant and the most important factor was the performance resume. The advertisement said they were seeking "experienced puppeteers" and that is clearly who made it through. The audition team had a chance to glance over the resumes before each group was brought into the room. The woman on my left and the guy on my right worked for Playhouse Disney ... they both advanced (the guy was invited to the Sesame Street workshop). Disney might also desire to "promote from within."

Frogster

Reaction score
Well, even though I didn't make it all the way, I still had a great time with all the new people I met, especially Anthony, who took me and my cousin around L.A. so many times. We shared a few laughes, made a few u-turns, and just enjoyed having so much fun. We sure won't listen to "Hey Yah" the same anymore, though. And Kevin Clash wasn't really paying attention to the performers, and was kinda rude from what I've heard. In fact, there's been a club formed called "We Won't Crash With Kevin Clash." President: Anthony... Members: Luke. Just messin.
But we did all have a good time at California Adventure. Earl, Kevin, and the rest of the gang was fun to get to know, and there's a lot of energy in them all that I really enjoyed. I guess Muppet fans tend to have that about themselves. Also, was an amazing time over at the Museum of Television and Radio. I was so glad to have taken plenty of pictures there. The only thing that stunk was that we missed the presentation of "Fraggle Rock: Behind the Wall." You see, we were lost at the time (like we were during most of the time) and we couldn't make it, but I did get to visit with Jocelyn Stevenson and take a picture with her.
But before even that, right before the showing of "Frances," a little kid came up to Anthony, who brought an amazingly-looking puppet that he had built himself, and was just in awe. Just the look in the kids' eyes made me think, "This is what being a Muppeteer must be like." To have that impact on kids is why, I think, we all really went down there to try out in the first place. That kid sure motivated me to stay on track and not give up.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I hope that I can make it sometime in the future. I would love to do that. Just need to find out about this stuff. When is the next auditions?