Modern Classics

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Seconding" Feist's 1234, What I Am, Preschool Musical and I Love My Hair. All these have that classic feel and shows SST at its best.

Some new choices no one's mentioned yet:
-Chris O'Donnell: Activate - seems pulled right out of the good ol' days
-Meal Or No Meal - writing, direction, and performances all at the top of their game
-American I - fully takes advantage of each character's strong characterization from Prairie being the lone voice of reason and getting frantic as a result to Rosita's "love everybody" attitude and Oscar's delightful contrariness.
-Rhyme Scene Investigation - just classic all around.
- Grover performs magic for Chris - hilarious Grover bit and the first time i really noticed how wonderfully Chris works with the Muppets.

and some non-specific sketches/general overall moments:
-any Elmo vs Rocco moment
- Layla/Muppet scenes. MVP newcomer. Nitya totally gets everything about her role displaying a great screen presence, incredible speaking and singing voice and always seems to be treating the Muppet cast with respect, listening and taking in their concerns and desires and then allowing them to make their own choices instead of coming out with the answer.
The "Activate" bit I think is the best one out of all of them. It actually has gags and ends on an actual punchline. The Grover/Chris sketch is also a lovely sketch.

I agree with you on Leela, letting the characters come up with the answers on their own by talking to them at their own level, acting as invested in the situation as they are (see the Firefly and "Woosh and Vanish" episodes).

Personally, I feel that segment is overrated, though I guess it is important in informing the uninformed that the veggie monster rumors are just rumors. I don't think we needed to have it on two DVDs. I feel it could have been left off the 40th anniversary DVD and just included on C is for Cookie Monster.
I wouldn't call it overrated if they put it on two DVDs. It fits on the 40 Years DVD to offset the possible confusion of the "Sometimes Food" song that is also in the DVD.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it overrated if they put it on two DVDs. It fits on the 40 Years DVD to offset the possible confusion of the "Sometimes Food" song that is also in the DVD.
The fact that it's on two DVDs isn't the only reason I see it as overrated. A Cookie is a Sometimes Food is also on both DVDs, yet I don't see that one as being overrated. I have mentioned it a few times in various posts, but it seems like ever since the 40th anniversary DVD came out there's hardly been any new DVDs that don't contain something from the 40th anniversary DVD. Almost as if Sesame Workshop (or possibly Warner Home Video) wants to make content from the anniversary release available on DVDs with smaller price points, even if it's just a 10-15 dollar difference, the segments can be viewed online for free, and certain segments had already been released. I don't think the original C is for Cookie is overrated, and I think that (along with Doin' the Pigeon) has been on more DVDs than any other segment (if you count it's inclusion as part of the C is for Cookie Mash-Up" in C is for Cookie Monster).

I can't quite explain why I think it's overrated... Maybe I just don't care for the segment too much, while others really like it (after all, I feel Harry Belafonte's "Turn the World Around" number is overrated).

I would also like to say that the two most recent Mr. Johnson segments (Lette G Games and V Salesman) are modern classics. And maybe also the CGI Twiddlebugs segments.

dwmckim

Reaction score
I would also like to say that the two most recent Mr. Johnson segments (Lette G Games and V Salesman) are modern classics. And maybe also the CGI Twiddlebugs segments.
Grover/Mr Johnson is always made of win regardless of the decade.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Bumping this thread up, 'cause I've been listening to this for the past 10 minutes and I think it deserves as much recognition as any other Sesame spoof:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er, whatcha talking about? Me no get the linkies.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's "Furry Happy Monsters".

And more recently, I think "Me Am What Me Am" ranks up as one of Cookie's finest songs

animalrescuer

Reaction score
Any Ernie and Bert skit within the 2000s and 2010s years is good, then again any Ernie and Bert skit is great, Bert and Ernie's Great Adventures is okay, but not as good as the live action skits. I love Dirty Jobs and Mike Rowe's appearance is classic Mike, I wonder if his crew was there just like in the actual show.

Since the "Veggie Monster" rumors occured during this time, definitely the Veggie Monster episode with Mario Lopez as a reporter blowing the rumors out of proportion like in real life and the Matt Lauer skit with a similar story is just as good.

Other skits/stories include:
Sutton Foster's "Lever Lover"
Spider Monster (better than SpiderMan in my opinion)
Pre-School Musical
Glee parody-"G"
Ricky Gervais with Elmo
Andrea Bocelli singing a lullaby to Elmo
Elmo the Musical-I think everyone agrees that this is way better than Elmo's world any day
Elmo and Brandeis the dog learning about service dogs
Any interaction between Telly and Baby Bear is classic, I love those two!

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
I've seen gameplay of Sesame Street TV for XBOX 360 to get an idea of what Sesame Street was like nowadays. The story segments are pretty fun to watch. As vettech stated, the episodes with Telly and/or Baby Bear are always a good laugh (Goodbye Pacifier, Siblings, etc.) A great wealth of the parody skits released in previous years are also classics, one of my favorites being Birdwalk Empire ("Let's go to the beak-easy!") Frank Oz as a chicken makes it all the better.