Man flies ‘cargo class’ to save cash

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just read this bizarre story. Thought you guys might like to check it out too.

Stowaway flier talks outside the box
New Yorker says plan was free ride to Dallas, not captivity in crate

By DAVE LEVINTHAL and ROBERT THARP / The Dallas Morning News

Believe it or not, Charles D. McKinley said he never intended to fly from New York City to Dallas locked in a shipping crate just large enough to fit his 5-foot-8-inch frame. He only wanted a free ride.

"I would never, never do it over again," he said Tuesday from a Dallas prisoner holding facility, where he was being held on unrelated charges. Dressed in a white jail jumpsuit, Mr. McKinley spoke modestly about his experience.

"I would advise no one to ever do this," he said.

Law enforcement officials questioning him Monday and Tuesday labeled him a potential terrorist, he said.

"I never thought that I'd have a terrorist label on me," he said, adding that he couldn't help but "break down and cry when they did."

His version of the journey over two days and more than 1,500 miles, given during a 20-minute interview Tuesday, is as follows:

A friend of a friend, who claimed to be a United Parcel Service employee, arranged for him to travel for free aboard a cargo plane so he could visit his family in DeSoto. He figured he'd sit in a jump seat.

Of course he would, the supposed UPS employee told Mr. McKinley, who added that he'd just have to hide in a 42-by-36-by-15-inch wooden crate at the end so he wouldn't be detected by authorities.

"Get in and see if you'll fit," the man told him. Mr. McKinley obliged, clutching his laptop computer, a cellphone and some clothes.

A moment later, he said, the man, whom Mr. McKinley would not identify, closed and sealed the crate. Mr. McKinley said he couldn't get out. A shipping truck, operated by Pilot Air Freight, delivered him to a cargo warehouse at John F. Kennedy International Airport.
'I was scared'

"I remember sitting on rollers, feeling other crates slam against me," Mr. McKinley said. "I was scared."

Workers loaded him on a Boeing 727 cargo plane operated by Kitty Hawk Cargo, which took off about 9:30 p.m. Friday. Mr. McKinley had no food, no water and little space to move. He hadn't eaten since early afternoon. Adjacent crates blocked him from breaking out of his enclosure, he said.

Mr. McKinley dozed during much of the flight to Dallas.

"It was so cold. It felt like winter in New York again," Mr. McKinley said. "At this point, I was so scared and tired. I wanted someone to find me."

So desperate to get out, Mr. McKinley began turning his cellular phone on and off, hoping it would interfere with the pilots' controls and prompt them to investigate the plane's cargo hold. Nothing happened. He dozed again. Then, Mr. McKinley found himself "somewhere in the South at about 3:30 a.m. or 4 a.m. on Saturday. I could tell by their accents and the style of their clothing."

A few hours later, a shipping truck picked him up, made three stops, then delivered him to his parents' home in DeSoto.

There, Mr. McKinley kicked his way out of the crate. The deliveryman called police, and Mr. McKinley was arrested on warrants.

Asked whether his experience might inspire terrorists, Mr. McKinley looked at the floor and put his hands on his head.

"My goal was just to come home. You know how you want to come home sometimes, it hurts?" he asked, pausing.

"I'm sure the president ... he's already stepped up and made sure everything on an airplane gets checked, cargo and everything, because of this," he said.

Mr. McKinley appeared in court Tuesday and pleaded guilty to violating probation for a June 1999 conviction for theft by check. Mr. McKinley failed to report to probation officers for several months and did not pay restitution and other court-imposed fees, records indicate.

No federal charges

Officials with the U.S. Transportation Security Administration and the U.S. attorney's office say they have not charged Mr. McKinley with any federal crimes, but they're continuing to investigate.

The shipping contract was originally placed with United Postal Service, which then contracted with Pilot Air Freight to deliver the crate, said Pilot Air Freight president and CEO Richard G. Phillips. The shipping company charged UPS between $550 and $650 to transport the crate.

Mr. McKinley's box was registered to Metro Tech, a computer company in the Bronx. Since the company did not have "known shipper" status, the box was placed on a cargo plane rather than a passenger plane.

Mr. McKinley declined to discuss his personal background. Visits to his parents' home yielded no further explanation. A sign hung on the front door: "There will be no interviews or comments made at all so please do not disturb us. Do not knock or ring our doorbell anymore."

Mr. McKinley said he never imagined he'd ever be the focus of international scrutiny.

"This is not how I wanted my face on the news," he said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/localnews/stories/091003dnmetcargofolo.a644f.html

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
It always surprises me when real people do some cartoon thing like this.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
*reads story*

*falls out of chair in sheer astonishment* What the...

Sounds like someone's nominated for the "What Were They Thinking?" award.

-Kim

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I heard about this on Good Morning America this morning!!! What was he thinking???? He's lucky he didn't get himself killed! :concern:
Erin

scarecroe

Reaction score
If he'd been killed, he'd have been a perfect candidate for the Darwin Awards.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Maybe he's just watched "The Great Muppet Caper" one too many times, eh?

I wouldn't be surprised if his crate had "WHATEVER" stenciled on the outside of it.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a lurker on THIS VERY FORUM!!!

:crazy: :mad: :stick_out_tongue: :zany: :big_grin:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
On local radio, he was featured on a segment called "JackA-- Of The Day."

This is funny, but at least he didn't get dropped in a pond, huh?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
why did we buy airline tickets to Florida?

one more thing in the 'why didn't I think of that' category :wink: