Inside Mouth Material

puppetpackpepe

Reaction score
Hello! I'm making a puppet at the moment, and I would like to know what you all use for the material for the inside of the mouth. On several of our puppets we have used play foam and It looks nice, but it is really thick and makes the mouth hard to close. Anyways, what are you guys suggestions?

-puppetpackcody

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I use leather, soccerball leather actually. I have a few rolls from Spalding, it's just right for what I need. If you do a search, you can find many threads here discussing different mouth plate materials.

Ryan

Reaction score
Gasket Rubber is best for flexible puppets (Lowes, Home Depot). There's different thicknesses of it. A thick version can also be found of it which works good for rigid mouths.

DO NOT USE FOAMCORE OR FUN FOAM

Foamcore degrades easily, and Fun Foam isn't very flexible and it rips easily.

When you make the mouths make sure you cover the inside of the mouth with material. Muslin works very well, as well as socks, sweatpant material or any other breatheable fabric. If you don't cover the mouthplate, there's a chance that it will come away from the foam, and the grip will come away from the mouthplate (if glued)