Hurricane episodes to air September 12-16

Stulz

Reaction score

It's just the street segments from the week edited together.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I guess I'll just pick it up for the sake of my collection then.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Stulz said:
I'm bought the DVD release they came out with of these episodes "Friends to the Resue" last week, but I noticed that they edited out about 20-30 + minutes from the story.
I just bought this today cuz I had a gift card to blow, and I found this DVD next to the MFS/MTM 2 pack.

Was wondering if you all could tell me: is it any good? I haven't opened it yet just in case I don't think I'll be into it. I'm not the biggest SS fan (but a HUGE Muppet fan!), but I do like them and I'm planning on picking up every figure from Palisades (will they EVER come out?!?). Kinda wanted to maybe start building up a SS DVD collection for my future kids.

Anyhow, Stulz, you said they edited a lot out? Will I really miss it?

Also, this is a collection of older episodes? I didn't wanna read too much of this thread as to not spoil the story. I've been hearing the ads over the intercom at Wal*Mart lately, so I was under the impression that this was a new special made cuz of Katrina and the others.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

:smile:
Anthony

BEAR

Reaction score
KermieBaby47 said:
I just bought this today cuz I had a gift card to blow, and I found this DVD next to the MFS/MTM 2 pack.

Was wondering if you all could tell me: is it any good? I haven't opened it yet just in case I don't think I'll be into it. I'm not the biggest SS fan (but a HUGE Muppet fan!), but I do like them and I'm planning on picking up every figure from Palisades (will they EVER come out?!?). Kinda wanted to maybe start building up a SS DVD collection for my future kids.

Anyhow, Stulz, you said they edited a lot out? Will I really miss it?

Also, this is a collection of older episodes? I didn't wanna read too much of this thread as to not spoil the story. I've been hearing the ads over the intercom at Wal*Mart lately, so I was under the impression that this was a new special made cuz of Katrina and the others.

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!

:smile:
Anthony
To my knowledge it is newly released due to the recent hurricane events. These hurricane episodes were originally aired before september 11th as a means of teaching kids about disasters and dealing with fear and emotions. Some say that it aired after the September 11th events because they had to redub a line that originally made reference to the Twin Towers. The recently reaired the full week of episodes last month in response to Hurricane Katrina.
As for the DVD, yes it has been editted a bit. You are only getting the main street story about the hurricane and none of the extra skits and cartoons normally in between. Even some of the street scenes were unfortunately editted out a little. However, it is still a wonderful buy and you will enjoy it as will your children. These hurrican episodes was one of the great highlights in Sesame Street history. Plus, I think this was the last work Kermit ever did on Sesame Street. It should be in every fan's personal library.:smile:

Stulz

Reaction score
edits...

Yeah it's still a great disc. any you get the whoel story but there are a few great moments like Oscar fighting with Gordon and Bob about moving his can into Bob's apartment that have been cut.

I just made a DVD of the entire story ( I cut out the other segmenst)... and it runs 95 minutes. so they cut out over a full half hour since the DVD version only runs 50-55 min with all the previews SW adds on.

But it is worth getting. I had never seen these epiodes before and didn't know what i was missing until I watched the complete episodes. You really can't tell THAT much...

BEAR

Reaction score
Stulz said:
Yeah it's still a great disc. any you get the whoel story but there are a few great moments like Oscar fighting with Gordon and Bob about moving his can into Bob's apartment that have been cut.

You know what is weird about this? I watched the editted DVD from the store before I saw the episodes in full during the week they re-aired them and I kept wondering about Oscar. On the DVD, they kept showing his can rattling around by the wind and rain. Why do they keep showing his can? IS something gonna happen with Oscar? But then you don't really see him until briefly in Bob's apartment with all those random monsters (who I guess are homeless, i dunno) banging on the piano much to Oskie's enjoyment. Then we see him for a second giving the kids a bucket of mud to rebuild the nest. But it wasn't until I saw the fully aired episodes that I find out how Oscar ends up inside with the scene between him, Gordon and Oscar outside during the storm. Why couldn't they have given us all the other stuff? Wasn't there even a couple songs they cut out too?

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I'll have to watch it this weekend.

So Kermit made it onto the DVD? That's cool!

AAO

Reaction score
I know for sure that the "Hurricane Series" aired before September 11th on account that the week before, Sesame Street's "Biography" with Harry Smith aired on A&E which also promoted that week of episodes featuring Sesame Street's Hurricane Series. They were able to switch back and forth with Sesame Street's past seasons and then "now" which was really Sesame Street's 31 or 32nd season? Anyway, it did air after September 11th.

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
I know for sure that the "Hurricane Series" aired before September 11th on account that the week before, Sesame Street's "Biography" with Harry Smith aired on A&E which also promoted that week of episodes featuring Sesame Street's Hurricane Series. They were able to switch back and forth with Sesame Street's past seasons and then "now" which was really Sesame Street's 31 or 32nd season? Anyway, it did air after September 11th.
yes, we figured that out.