How would you respond?

Ziffel

Reaction score
Been stressed a lot lately from work. Being a custodian at a large manufacturing company in Philadelphia leads to almost daily aggravation from rude and selfish people. There are a lot of nice people but, since it is so big, there are also inevitably some not so nice people to contend with. It's mostly minor irritations like people who have a perpetual negative attitude that they can't even say hello. But it's the FREQUENCY of facing such negative attitudes that wears me down.
Anyway, here's a few recent incidents, minor things in themselves, but frustrating because of the too often occurrence of such things.

(1) A lady knocks over my wet floor caution sign and not only doesn't pick it back up or apologize but simply says, "I hate these stupid things". My response: "Did you do that on purpose or something?" What's the best reaction? Here's what a few co-workers said they would have said:

(A) "And you know what I hate? When someone knocks over my sign and doesn't even have the courtesy to pick it back up."
(B) (Sarcastically) "Thanks a lot! I hope you have a great day!"
(C) Follow her to the area where she works and then knock something of hers on the floor and say, "Oh I hate these stupid things."
(D) Just pick up the sign and ignore her. It's not worth getting in a confrontation and risk your job.
(E) "Why wouldn't you pick that sign back up?"
(F) Other?

(2) A guy pushing a cart knocks over my sign. He says, "Oh, shucks (he actually said a word I can't use)" and continues on. My response: "Your just gonna leave it there?" He said, "I can't stop, I have to get this delivered." But it only takes 2 seconds to stop and pick up a sign, of course. What's the best way to respond?

(A) "What the hecK? Come on, pick that back up will you?"
(B) (Sarcastically) "Thanks a lot pal!"
(C) Do nothing
(D) Other?

(3) I'm waxing a small hallway floor. A lady wants to come through but sees the tape blocking off the entrance way and the sign saying, "Do not enter. Wet wax." She says, "I can't come through here?" I say, "No, sorry, it's closed right now while being waxed." She says, "Well hurry up, okay? I don't want to have to go around all day. I don't know why you gotta do this now anyway. This should be done at night." My response: "I'm just doing my job. My boss wants this done now." What's the best reply?

(A) "Hurry up? You can kiss my ... !"
(B) "If you have a problem, you can talk with my boss. I have nothing to do with this."
(C) "It gets done when it gets done."
(D) Say nothing and just ignore her
(E) Other?

I'm just basically wondering how all of you, in general, deal with difficult people and how you avoid stressing over rude and unkind comments. Wondering if you have any tips and suggestions for me. And how do we stand up for ourselves and not let ourselves be walked all over like doormats but yet at the same time avoid flying off the handle and jeopardizing our jobs?
And two other things factor in to the equation for why I get fazed so easily by this stuff (and thus find it hard to "not let these people get to me" as the nice people often say to me). One is that I have always been highly sensitive and deeply affected by people's negativity. And two is that I have had a lifelong struggle with inferiority, so when people say or do things it's sometimes a struggle to not take it personally (thinking that these things wouldn't happen to other custodians in the same situation because they naturally would get more respect).
And as a Christian, I get enormous help and comfort from praying to God and reading the Bible. I think that's the most important thing. But just wanted advice on what to say and do when in the heat of these actual moments. Thanks a lot everyone. And just typing this out and venting makes me feel better anyway. :smile:
And one final thing: When Jesus said, "Turn the other cheek" I don't think He meant we are to be doormats and shouldn't stand up for ourselves. But just wanted anyone's thoughts on just what exactly you think He meant, especially in connection with asserting ourselves with others. Thanks again.

Katzi428

Reaction score
1)D
2)C (why risk your job,right?)
3)either the response you gave(which was a good one) or B

Ziffel

Reaction score
Thanks you two. And yeah C for number one would be a lot of fun to do, D'snowth! But I'm afraid it would be asking for trouble.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
1. The lady looks down and exclaims: "I hate these stupid things".
So you reply: "Really? I don't think your shoes are that ugly, of course if I were you, I wouldn't be worried about your shoes!"

2. El jerko knocks the sign over and mumbles: "I can't stop, I have to get this delivered."
So you reply: "If it's a brain, you probably don't have to go very far."

3. Captain Numb Nuts who doesn't understand the laws of physics blurts out: "Well hurry up, okay? I don't want to have to go around all day. I don't know why you gotta do this now anyway. This should be done at night."
So you reply: "Hey that's a great idea! Come back around 11 o' clock tonight! Between you 'going around all day' and finishing this up tonight, you'll really be able to shed those extra pounds that have really been just so unkind to your enormous thighs!"

I worked retail for 4 years dealing with the ignorant public and learned the importance of common courtesy toward your fellow man. I also learned some great comebacks and sharpened my wit and developed a great sense of humor which when dealing with the rat race, IMO is your best defense. Chin up, Zif; I'm a christian too, but I also believe in karma, and what goes around, squarely comes around. Have a root beer, and cheers my man! :sing:

Ziffel

Reaction score
My reaction exactly, D'Snowth! Thanks Vic, that was both very helpful and very funny. I guess some snide remarks (unlike flat out hostile replies) are more effective and also safer for not risking your job (as well as being so well deserved by the el jerkos!) (and as well as being so fun to think of and say, that, in the process, it makes you feel so much better from the crud that you just had dished out to you! :big_grin: ).

Vic Romano

Reaction score
You know what? Even if you say them silently in your head it's better then dwelling on what a jerk someone can be. I totally know how stressful people can be. Yer' th'man, Ziff bud, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

BEAR

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
1. The lady looks down and exclaims: "I hate these stupid things".
So you reply: "Really? I don't think your shoes are that ugly, of course if I were you, I wouldn't be worried about your shoes!"

2. El jerko knocks the sign over and mumbles: "I can't stop, I have to get this delivered."
So you reply: "If it's a brain, you probably don't have to go very far."

3. Captain Numb Nuts who doesn't understand the laws of physics blurts out: "Well hurry up, okay? I don't want to have to go around all day. I don't know why you gotta do this now anyway. This should be done at night."
So you reply: "Hey that's a great idea! Come back around 11 o' clock tonight! Between you 'going around all day' and finishing this up tonight, you'll really be able to shed those extra pounds that have really been just so unkind to your enormous thighs!"

I worked retail for 4 years dealing with the ignorant public and learned the importance of common courtesy toward your fellow man. I also learned some great comebacks and sharpened my wit and developed a great sense of humor which when dealing with the rat race, IMO is your best defense. Chin up, Zif; I'm a christian too, but I also believe in karma, and what goes around, squarely comes around. Have a root beer, and cheers my man! :sing:

I like these answers too, but I wouldn't dare blurt them out loud at work and risk being fired. I, too, can't believe how rude and inconsiderate people are out there. Especially with simple things like a caution sign. I've experienced a lot of rude people driving on the road lately. Sorry, Ziff.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
I think Vic's answers are very funny too but wouldn't dare say them outloud. Unless of course you don't mind losing your job. In most cases it is best just to eat your words and say nothing. Why stoop to their level? It is very tough to put up with the abuse but take comfort in the fact that you are the better person. Why would you risk losing your job over somebody that is that crummy and mean? They aren't worth it.

It case #1 I would have simply said sorry, the signs are for your safety.
Case #2 I would have said something like "yeah, I've got a lot to do today as well."
I think your response for case #3 was pretty good.

Instead of being negative about it, turn it around and say something positive. Look at it as an opportunity to meet new people. Try to strike up a conversation. Who knows? Maybe it will lead to new friendships. At the very least, they'll feel guilty about it and be less mean in the future. When all else fails, talk to a supervisor about it.