Hidden arm rods

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Ha Haaaa! "wocka Wocka Award" For You Today!!! Haaaaa!!

Phantom

Reaction score
on behalf of the group, I hope we've passed the audition....

iMissy

Reaction score
Jim Kroupa made some puppets with internal rods (we used the yellow one in John Tartaglia's class)

Here's what they look like on the outside
http://www.lyonpuppets.com/meercats.html

I wish I could tell you how they were built, but I didn't notice....other than that they were a LOT harder to control!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Phantom said:
on behalf of the group, I hope we've passed the audition....
The NY Auditions have passed...

...Wait, you didn't mean that, did you?

I need sleep.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
Thanks for the Rick Lyon link. It looks like the arms in the picture both twist outwards in sync. I think Tutter from Bear in big Blue house moves this way sometimes.

I think I may have just have one moving arm and the other non moving arm with wire inside to keep the shape. I've altered the plan again! lol :embarrassed: Almost the same but the internal rod will be inside a plastic tube to pivot. ( like a one handed rod puppet control) So I can move it side to side with my thumb and pull the elbow trigger with my finger.

| l |
| l |
| l |
| l |
| l |
| l____ <---wire
| . |
| . |

This way it shouldn't need such a strong shoulder support.
I'll start building it when the holiday's start and try to post a photo. Hopefully it will work.

Puppet crazy

Reaction score
Speaking of rods..... I did a similar post but what do people use for arm rods? I use coat hanger wire, sometimes welding rods with a wooden handle. Anything thinner seems to be too weak.

I notice Muppets have a very thin rod. What do they use?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've heard others mention welding rods, too.

I found some REALLY sturdy wire that I use on Muley's hands that comes on a coil. It's heck to bend it straight to make into an arm rod, but it works super well when it's completed.

Jinx

Reaction score
I have been using Simpson brand "Insulation Supports". I use the 23.5" size. this is extremely strong wire, which is slightly "springy" although it is not spring steel. It is very hard to bend, especially into smaller loops, if needed, but it is nice and straight.

I am very fortunate that my father has a blacksmith shop set up right next door to me, so when I need to I can heat the wire in a forge and work it with a hammer, needle-nosed pliers and an anvil. It cools very quickly, so it usually has to take several trips into the forge, but when I'm done I have a loop that won't straighten out on me.

The UPC # is 0 44315 81481 5 for a box of 100, which I think cost me about $7.00.

Phantom

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
The NY Auditions have passed...

...Wait, you didn't mean that, did you?

I need sleep.
Just showing my age, I guess....

Jojo left his home in Tucson, Arizona...bought some California grass...