henson shuts down the new york muppet workshop

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While some of the Sesame employees left voluntarily or ahem "retired" more than a year-ago (as budgets were tight after the 180 million buyout for the Sesame characters), resignations and layoffs have been slowly occuring within Henson for months. Some left the company voluntarily not wanting to see any more friends forced to leave.

These changes effect some departments more than others, but they are some of the most creative and hard-working individuals in the business. It's always sad to see people who worked with Jim during the Muppets heyday forced to move on or retire.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have a feeling that EMTV is going to blame this on the economy and not their crash. It's big business, and someone always shifts the blaime! It's a real shame, and it may nail the lid on the coffin of the proposed New Muppet Show!

matleo

Reaction score
This meshes with some things I've heard/seen/know. It doesn't come as a shock, but it does come as a disappointment. For thise of you who don't know the Jim Henson Foundation is no longer part of Jim Henson Prod and was kicked out of the NY office when EMTV bought the company. I also have a friend who interviewed with the costume shop about 8 months ago and said that the person she had interviewd with said soemthing about not being there much longer but couldn't remember who she had spoken too. My guess is it was Polly Smith.

I sense dark times ahead....very dark times.

--Matt

Treelo

Reaction score
The news is indeed true, although I was told that the staff would be cut down to about five or six - not three. I hope I'm correct here.

I was also told the full staff would remain until August.

It is sad news - it makes me wish there was a bit less "business" in show business.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I guess I have been waiting for official confirmation, but this seems to be true. I don't know who to be upset at? Could this be some sort of liquidiation in hopes to sell off Henson to a corporation wanting more control? Whatever happens I hope Henson finds security in the company that buys them...soon I hope. A sale would mean more work for puppeteers at least.

All this info is harder to choke down than a Denny's breakfast. These are truly sad times for Henson. "I hope that something better comes along."

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by matleo
For thise of you who don't know the Jim Henson Foundation is no longer part of Jim Henson Prod and was kicked out of the NY office when EMTV bought the company.
I have to take issue with this one and say that in a way it's false. The Jim Henson Foundation was not 'kicked' out of anywhere. As the foundation is a family thing, and not sold as part of the company - it doesn't entitle them to use office space that belongs to EMTV for free. I would guess they probably had the choice to rent the rooms or leave of their own accord.

You've got to realise it was Henson's children who decided to sell the company, nobody put a gun to their head and said they had to. I know lots of Henson employee's will be mighty upset with current developments and quite rightly so, but the blame doesn't really lie with EMTV, they only have so much money - and they are looking after the main interests first.

matleo

Reaction score
You may be right Luke. My information on that was pretty second/third/fourth-hand. So I don't know what happened with the foundation exactly. the version "I heard' was they were asked to leave. Any insdiers around here may know more.

--Matt

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Everybody has a source these days. Where can I get one?
There's a store here called Shoe Source. Maybe you can get one there. What color do you like? Size? Want heels or no?

FOZ

FER SURE

Reaction score
After being semi-absent from this board for awhile I come back to see this horribly disheartening news.

I have to say that I have always looked up to Polly Smith. Polly is like a costuming goddess. Looking back upon all the years and incredible costumes she has created I am shocked that they would make the desicion to "let her go." I truly admire her body of work, creativity, and loayalty.

This is a sad turn of events for the people of the Muppet Workshop. Most of them have given a large part of their lives and creative talents to the Jim Henson Co. I personally know the feeling of giving your all to a corparation and then being spurned. It was not fun and turned out to be a very trying time in my life.

I find this desicion personally wrong on so many levels. It is a sad event to see a corporation built on family and entertainment no longer entertaining the idea of family.