Henson closes NY office

RobintheBrave

Reaction score
I agree with Zack. As I sadly read the article about this building, I was listening to "We Got Us." It was rather inspiring.

Robin the Brave

GPrime1

Reaction score
Where's Pepe with the historical landmark papers? Seriously, as long as the guy who got the Electric Mayhem bus doesn't pick this one up too.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
First of all the building matters as much as the characters do. Period.
There's a lot of history there that's basically being tossed away. Also Jim Henson would NEVER have sold the townhouse! Good grief! I'm sure he's spinning in his grave. This whole thing just plain makes me sad.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I foresee opportunity for the JHC by this move, and now that I know they'll be taking their Murals (etc) along with them, I'm much happier.

The people from inside the building is much more important, as is the work; my worry comes then from knowing that folks may lose their jobs. That's sad. Especially this time of year.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I agree with you Kev that it is great that they are taking everything with them, and lets hope that nobody else gets laid off, that would be horrible. There's been more than enough of that lately. The holidays should be a happy time not a time of sadness.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Zack the Dog said:
Yeah this is sad, but remember what Kermit said about the Muppet theater in IAVMMCM, That it's just a building, it's the people that count!
GPrime1 said:
Where's Pepe with the historical landmark papers? Seriously, as long as the guy who got the Electric Mayhem bus doesn't pick this one up too.
I hope that this is just a business decision that only effects the company move and not the product. But it indeed needs to be reformatted to be a Henson Museum. Without a doubt, if this is indeed just business, wee'll continue to See the Muppets through the end of time... we can only hope! :smirk:

Luke

Reaction score
The museum idea has been considered and rejected apparently. I don't know how anyone can say Jim would never have done this when a) he wanted to move Henson to LA himself, and b) he was never alive through a real down period for the brand and an economic recession like this generally. Jim did plenty of things for the money when it made sense for the company (allowed licensing of Sesame characters to get the cash to make the fantasy films, made TMS in England when that was the only deal on the table etc). If it was a case of saving a few buildings or saving the Muppets I think he would have chosen the latter.

I really don't think people realise how unstable the future is for the Henson Company right now, it's pretty serious. If they do all this stuff now, get the brand and company together and find a way to run it successfully longterm on a budget there is a good chance they will still be around in a few years time. If for any reason it doesn't work out or things get worse they will either be selling the company again, or if the kids do want to keep the Muppets the next step would be to dissolve the Henson Company entirely, lay off everybody, sell Chaplin and just hold onto the puppets, rights and library. That way they would still make money from distribution and licensing but wouldn't have as many running costs as they do now. If that ever happens we would see the actual puppets a lot less, either they'd be retired or if they wanted to make any new programming they'd have to commison another company to make it or hire in a freelance team. So it's not like they have just casually decided to sell up in NY, they have no other choice right now.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Luke said:
I really don't think people realise how unstable the future is for the Henson Company right now, it's pretty serious.
Oh believe me, I realize. Especially seeing how it was tossed around by EM.TV (though 2002 was a big year for the Muppets). But man, that townhouse. The mural, the Jim and Frank window, and that big picture of the SS performers better be put to good use in Hollywood.

And take that beautiful spiral staircase too. :big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know, I know! The economy is horrendous right now, and right here politicians are doing the wrong things to fix it, causing more debt. Clearly they do not have a choice, and hopefully something big will come by, shake things up and the Henson company could grow, not dissolve.

I really hope they consider the partnership with Disney. If anything, it will give the Henson company the much needed boost, financially, to kick start the company, and perhaps FINALLY work something out and make a new series.

Luke

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
But man, that townhouse. The mural, the Jim and Frank window, and that big picture of the SS performers better be put to good use in Hollywood.
Yeah, i know. It is pretty devastating for those that have known and loved the place. If people here are getting worked up about it you can only imagine how deep the feelings go at Henson itself.