Help with a Full-Bodied Puppet Project

Jay345

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm really new to all of this and could use some help on where to find supplies. The project that I am working on is the same concept as Barkley from Sesame Street, but with a look more like Sprocket from Fraggle Rock. I've already started on the arm extensions and those are almost complete. For me that is the easy part. Now however, I'm starting to look into how to actually build the head and body and something to use for the fur.

I know there are a lot of resources out there on how to build mascot heads, but they all seem very hot and heavy to have on for an extended period of time if you're going to be on all fours. I'm sure with all of the fur it will be even warmer, so I would like to keep it as cool as possible. I do already have plenty of fans that I can install, but that can only do so much.

As far as shaping the body I know I could use some sort of sports padding, but I'm always open to suggestions. Especially considering the fact that I've never done anything like this before.

I've been looking for the past few days for some sort of long fur, but nothing that I have found can even come close to comparing to the length of fur on Barkley. At least not in the gray color that I want. Is there an easy way to make it or does anyone know of somewhere that I could find it?

Sorry for all the questions, but as I said I am new to all this. Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Derek Thompson

Reaction score
there was a great tutorial on Stan winston that I believe you can buy about building a full body suit out of foam. It covers the maquette process thru creating the pattern and blowing it up to full size. This would give you the basis for building up your foundation before you fur it. just a thought. it looked cool the way they were gluing the foam together to build the body pieces. keeps it lighter. also room for some kind of cooling inside. It looked like they were doing a similar build method on the Jim Henson creature shop show. Best of luck. cant wait to see pics of your progress. Sounds really cool.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
As Derek said, I think you can find most of what you need to know over at the Stan Winston School.

Generally speaking, full body puppet characters are hot and heavy to perform over an extended period of time. There are things you can do to make the performer more comfortable (cooling vest, internal fans, keeping them hydrated, etc.) but physical endurance is part of performing characters like that. Not everyone can do it.

You might want to check out the documentary Men in Suits, which has a lot of interesting information about performing characters like this.

I also have a couple of resources on this Pinterest Puppet Building Board that you might find helpful.