French Muppet Show possibly in the works

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I actually think that producing a region-specific show is a good move for Disney. The Muppets are arguably more popular and well-known outside of the U.S. now than in it.

For example, if you could produce a show in China (where Disney is starting make inroads) that would be huge. The Japanese love the Muppets, and the Muppet Show was big in Europe long before it was a hit in the U.S.

beaker

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I actually think that producing a region-specific show is a good move for Disney. The Muppets are arguably more popular and well-known outside of the U.S. now than in it.

For example, if you could produce a show in China (where Disney is starting make inroads) that would be huge. The Japanese love the Muppets, and the Muppet Show was big in Europe long before it was a hit in the U.S.
I agree, Japanese in the last half decade has gotten pretty big in Japan(tho sadly the Muppets have been MIA in the rising sun) And absolutely: Muppet fandom and love in Europe is not only viable; it's still 1989 over there. Here in America? Muppet fandom is still very much underground. Heck, Farscape, a tiny speck in the JHC legacy of half a century time wise has a gillion times more fans online than Muppetdom.

As long as we get to see smuggled bootleg tape trades of Le Muppet show I'm all for it.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Hm...I think Europeans are nostalgic, but they only see the Muppets now for nostalga purposes, and usualy watch only MCC once at christmas...if that is a greater love than in America..we got problems. :stick_out_tongue:

spcglider

Reaction score
From what i understand, the British were VERY posessive about the Muppet Show. Isn't this kind-of insulting to the crown? I mean, a FRENCH Muppet Show?

And how do you make Kermit, (frog jokes aside) you know, all "spikey and French"? to quote Eddie Izzard.

-Gordon

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's a good offensive Kermit the "frog" joke here, but I'm not "ugly American" enough to say it.

A Japanese Muppet Show would be frikkin crazy, though! I'm not going to be lazy and mention any animes (though this Kinniku-Muppet entry I made for a Palisades contest would explain it M.U.P.P.E.T.S)
I mean, the calaber of some of their game shows? that's whack.

I'm thankful there are no plans for a German Muppet show. Could you imagine it? They'd have hollowed out Muppet dolls as cast members! :eek:

(Referring to 2002 German McDonalds commercial using fake Kermit)

Luke

Reaction score
Muppets In Japan might make a nice TV special sometime. Maybe have a plot where their movie bombed in the rest of the world, they're all depressed and then they work out the only place left to go and make it big is Japan - cue lots of wierd and wacky stuff, pilots for gameshows where wierd stuff goes on, touring around. It could work! The French thing sounds a bit wierd to me, they might as well make a new TMS in England and then dub it to French.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder how the Japanese SS is doing, BTW? I was hoping to see the Pocky Monster, Pachinko number count, and today's show is brought to you by the character "BO", featuring Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo. (Have a Don patchi avatar.)

Seriously, would the French Muppet show be localized with French performers, or would the actual US puppeteers being dubbed? Or, like Monty Python, when they did a German series? They tried to do the show in German themselves, speaking parrot German, since they didn't want to be dubbed.