Fraggle VCD's

getup

Reaction score
ok, looking around ebay, i see these auctions starting to emerge...like 18 episode dvd/vcd or even 42 episode dvd/vcd...but this is a joke from the start...vcds have nothing to do with dvds...except that they are played in a dvd player...but a vcd is NOT a dvd. furthermore, vcds come from mpeg files...and the episodes that they list on their vcds are in fact the ones that are of course now floating around kazaa and all those other sharing softwares...although it's nice to be able to share the files, it was good when they were exclusive to the IRC channels: Digitaldistractions, televisionchaos and themuppetarchive...now that they are going public, people are abusing the privilege of having these around. i almost regret capping those episodes that i did. i didn't do all of them, but i did a good 18 of them. i didn't think this would happen. i know others are becoming mad too. just wanted to vent for a little, but i think many of you could see where that would make me mad.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
I understand. Thanks for reassuring us that the real, genuine product only comes from you yourself, and not from some wanna-be.

Luke

Reaction score
The real genuine product comes from the Henson Company - you just have to wait a little longer for REAL Fraggle DVD's. If people are ripping the episodes they're all the same as each other really.

getup

Reaction score
i wasn't saying that the real genuine product comes from me...i was only saying that these vcds couldn't have been possible for these people to make if it weren't for me and another person who put them on the internet to begin with...of course the genuine product comes from Henson...i'm not saying my dvds are grand...but i bet i put a lot more effort and heart into it than someone just putting them on vcd

Luke

Reaction score
I understand getup, you should get a better price for DVD rips than other people do for VCD's though. This is the thing with file sharing nowdays, if the stuff is out there people will just take it and do what they like, especially if they can make a quick buck outa it.

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Originally posted by getup
i wasn't saying that the real genuine product comes from me...i was only saying that these vcds couldn't have been possible for these people to make if it weren't for me and another person who put them on the internet to begin with...of course the genuine product comes from Henson...i'm not saying my dvds are grand...but i bet i put a lot more effort and heart into it than someone just putting them on vcd
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to when I posted my last reply. It was another honest mistake on my part.

Here on the forum we have the chance to think before we post, and there are occasions when I think hard, and what comes out doesn't always sound right. This was one of them.

getup

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
I understand getup, you should get a better price for DVD rips than other people do for VCD's though. This is the thing with file sharing nowdays, if the stuff is out there people will just take it and do what they like, especially if they can make a quick buck outa it.
i wasn't even suggesting i should get better price for the dvd rips...i was just saying about these people just making money in general on vcds. if they only knew that i helped them with this...lol. i heard from someone that they bought a vcd once from ebay of episodes and they were so disappointed because the sound was bad and the picture was just awful...and some of the episodes that are being sold on these vcds are from oddysey:eek:

getup

Reaction score
yup...my roommate pointed that one out to me this morning...that's bad...it's the exact wording and picture i use...***. i emailed him asking him what this was all about...he said a friend gave it to him and he has no use for it so he's selling it. that's my auction!!!

beaker

Reaction score
So youre upset abou tpeople making a profit off your mpeg encoding captures; not so much people on kazaa/other p2p sites sharing these episodes? As correct me if Im wrong, it seems the point of Fraggle Rock is to spread it to as many people as possible. I and countless others got screwed by JHC in the 80's by not being able to see FR growing up. Not only was it on cable...it was on a pay channel on top of being on cable.

So not only do I condone, I outright encourage anybody and everybody to pirate, rip, bootleg, etc any and all Muppet or JHC related material. Why? Because there are kids like me who would otherwise never be able to see Fraggle Rock. Or kids in the US who would never be able to see Hoobs or Mopatop. Or what about little Ngotu in Africa or Pablo in South America whose only means to see FR episodes is by internet downloads?

I mean whats the point of making a show like Fraggle Rock if only a few kids with rich suburbanite parents in the Reagan era got to see it? Doesnt make sense...and now its all about righting the wrongs. I think the message of Fraggle Rock is BS in part, when you take into account the time it aired. Here was this magical, beyond words show with the greatest message of world harmony and love, but only a few privleged well to do folks got to see it. What the heck is up with that? Totally negates the message to begin with. "Well, its a magical show about unity for all...but only those priveleged folks in America get to see it".
Bottom line, Fraggle Rock's message and impact would be much greater if it had been on regular tv like PBS for ALL to see...not just a select few.

Though...these idiots shouldnt be making a profit. $5 should cover the vcd copies...or even just trade the suckers.

It p***es me off the only FR dvds are those d*** French dvds. Why the heck did they dub over it...they could have just subtitled em like most sensable European nations. them and their freaking Secam...why cant they be PAL or NTSC like the rest of the civilized world? heh

Finally, the fact people on Kazaa, IRC/usenet groups, and eBay actually have an interest in Fraggle Rock shows something. Warrick's signature campaign proved there is a pretty sizable interest in dvds of FR...a show I believe is one of the greatest kids shows ever. I feel bad for kids weened on Pokemon, Barney and other garbage...^_^