vBulletin Forum Questions: How Do I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Garri and Luke

Hey Guys
Well i dont log out and when i come back a few hours later or the next day the same stuff is still there.

You need to refresh teh main forums page, Then when you go into a thread just hit refresh.

It seems like they should refresh themeselves but they are not.

see ya

Luke

Reaction score
Phil, Warrick and whoever the heck else cares

This is really beginning to annoy me - the 'View New Messages' shows me the new messages that i've just viewed. This is now a pain because the only solution to seeing who was replying to you was to look at 'View New Messages' since i have email notifications turned off (don't want 100 emails for every thread) and since we can't do specific replies.

So basically there is now no working solution to seeing who has replied to you, or what new threads you haven't read, without going in and out of every folder.

Also i notice that on the 'Whos Online' it keeps people in the listing for about an hour after they leave the site.

I take it cookies aren't working or the time before they are set to expire is too long. It's really confusing on a busy board like this - any news Phil on whether replies to specific people will come with V3 or if this can be sorted ? People not being able to get specific replies or even see whats new on the forum with a click is gonna wreck any chance of repeat traffic from newbies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Luke,

After you read messages and go to the "View new messages" page, be sure to hit refresh either with the refresh button or by right clicking and choosing refresh (if your browser offers this function). The yellow icons should then change to blue for you.

Logging out after your session will also help some of the issues you are having, especially if you change computers.

There will be many modifications and improvements with version 3.0 which we'll be rolling out later this summer when it is released.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Luke-

Originally posted by Luke
This is really beginning to annoy me -
I get irritated that I get emails from the thing and they tell me so-and-so has responded to me, and they didn't; but rather responded to someone else...no mention of FOZ in their posts at all! Wonder what's happening??

FOZ

Luke

Reaction score
Phillip

Thanks for the help - i think i'm now understanding this a little. I thought that when you read a post, it should then dissapear from the 'New Messages' list. Instead as you say the little envelope symbol turns from yellow to blue. I hadn't understood that it worked that way with the 'new message' section as well as the normal boards.

Can i make a big suggestion ? Can you get Jamie to make one of those little purple buttons above (like the User CP one), mark it 'New Msgs' or 'New Posts' and put it in the header with the others. If we could have a link to that 'New Messages' section from wherever we are on the forum it would mean that we don't have to find our way back to the main index every time we want to see new posts. I guess this would be easy enough to magic up !.

The whole logging in and logging out thing did clear the 'New Messages' list, same as the 'Mark All As Read' thing at the bottom of the New Messages page. I'll have to remember to do one of those two things or just remember what all the little envelope symbols mean.

Raech

Reaction score
Ok Phillip, can you please put the definative answer of what each envelope type means??

(not the forum box with the check in it- I got that much).

Thanks. Cos they are confusing lots of us.

Also one thread had an orange evelope for me. And I logged out and back on and it was no longer orange / hot topic.
:confused:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Raech,

If you go onto the main Forums page, Scroll down to the bottom there is a list of all the envelopes and what they mean.

Hope it helps !

See ya

Raech

Reaction score
Nope these are *not* what I needed to know. I mean the envelopes. not the check box thingies.

Well, I read someone elses description, and decided that beyond that... I just do not care anymore what these silly confusing things mean. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.