Foam question

charlie bird

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a couple of questions on foam

- Is this considered reticulated foam? If so have you worked with it?
Link: http://www.thefoamfactory.com/outdoorfoam/outdoorfoam.html
I compared the foam with project puppet's reticulated foam, and I found a couple of differences
Thefoamfactory: 1 inch minimum, 105 ppi
Projectpuppet: 1/2 inch, 35 ppi
The inch difference might not be a big deal, but the difference might be major in pores per inch. You can probably tell that I'm looking for the most out of my money...but aren’t we all.

-What type of foam is best for installing Mechanisms?
I was thinking 1/2 inch L200
Link: http://www.closedcellfoams.com/minicel.html

I have been doing some research on needle felting, specifically the use of prefelt .I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using needle felting techniques on moving mouth puppets. If so I might try using regular felt instead of prefelt, due to the small amount of colors available.
Thank you all

puppetise

Reaction score
Hey there When it comes to Reticulated foam or foam in general its all about density what i found whilst working with mechanics if you were to purchase a high density foam it does wonders for mechs but it does make it complicated when it comes to constructing the head if you want to ask more in depth questions don't be afraid to pm me i have an abundance of info as i work in a foam store

all the best
-Wayne-

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
You'll want a 25-35ppi Foam.
In regards to mechanisms- it depends on what you need from the mech and the strain it will put on the foam structure. You might have to create a plastic "shell" to hold the mechs. Simple plastic hit with a heat gun or Vacuum Forming might be required. L200 and L100 are good to but they too are foams and may bend as you use them. If the mech has any severe pulling/pushing parts you might want to use plastic as you'll see the "bulging" of the foam inside the puppet when you use the mech. The key to mechanisms is having a strong base to work from so that everything is stable and you get the exact same movement every time you use it. Using foam (depending on the mech) can and will be your worst nightmare in the end.

charlie bird

Reaction score
Thank you both
I guess project puppet foam would be the best bet for flexibility. For the needs of my current puppet design I might be using multiple types of foam. I considered using L200 for the body, and reticulated foam for the mouth area. I did some research on vacuum forming a while back and I think I should build one considering the fact that I could use it in my costuming needs as well. I designed oval shaped eyes, and I know it wasn't the smartest decision considering the usual eye mechanisms contain perfect sphere shaped eyes. I plan to install a eyebrow mechanism, and, if I can get it to work, blinking eyes. I ordered all of Dave Privett’s DVDs a couple of years ago. He really doesn't skip any steps in the puppet making process...perfection. I use a different method of patterning than he does, but the mechanism video was a great help in understanding puppet mechanisms. I can use his method for eye brow mechanisms but in this case the eye shape won’t work with his method.

charlie bird

Reaction score
Hi again
I have another question for the genius puppet builders here
Do you think that gasket rubber would be a good choice for a flexible mouth plate? I want this puppet to frown and smile .I
am not used to making flexible mouth plates at all. Should you put in any sort of grip or elastic, or maybe just add a fabric and foam pocket over the gasket rubber mouth plate?
Here is a link to the gasket rubber I was planning on using:
http://www.amazon.com/Nitrile-NBR-R..._2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1338900581&sr=1-2

FoamGuru

Reaction score
This is Reilly Foam Corporation, we have worked with a number of puppet manufacturers and designers in identifying appropriate foams. We would be happy to give some direction on your foam applications. Please visit our website for foam products. We handle reticulated products along with various cross-linked polyethylenes. Let us know how we can help.