Flintstones Gay

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'll try to keep my post on this topic short as I can:

Everyone is allowed to poke fun at everyone else--that's life, and if you're going to joke about one group, joke about the other (that's why I like Whoopi Goldberg and Chris Rock--NOBODY's safe!). Still, we should be able to accept one another for who we are, whether it's based on religion, race, creed, or sexual preferences.

Now, I'm irked that in recent times there are people in the media (who began as 'leaders' of 'focus groups') who are out there to attack animated characters that are intended to entertain and bring joy to the world (I suppose) and put them under the gun as being 'in the closet' or straight-cut 'gay.'

From one news article on Feb 8, 2005 MSNBC's Andy Borowitz reports that Harland Devane, leader of the conservative activist group Focus on the Flintstones, says that Fred and Barney who are always hanging out together and not wearing pants in the city of "Bed-rock" are "flagrantly gay." He also said that the two work at a construction site bearing semblance to the Construction Worker in "The Village People." If the guy actually knew what he was talking about, he'd know it's only Fred that works at the construction site. The article tells that the group is trying to ban the Flintstones from TV, merchandise, and finally "Fruity Pebbles." You have to read the article to see how STUPID these people are. http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6934878/site/newsweek/

Another article I happened to find was this one
http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/andrew_heller/index.ssf?/base/news-0/1107361350132220.xml in which it seems that even the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote are having an affair, and also extend on the Flintstones thing:

"The Flintstones. Barney and Fred always seemed a bit too chummy, if you ask me. And of course, there's that "gay, old time" thing. The coyote and roadrunner. Oh, sure, they WANTED you to believe that the coyote wanted to kill and eat the roadrunner. But watching it from the perch of adulthood, I now can see that he's really trying to catch him to give him a big, homosexual smooch. The roadrunner is merely playing hard to get. Beep, beep. Porky Pig. Never wore pants, which is just so gay I can hardly stand it. Tom & Jerry. Tom and Jerry. Oh, please. Not only gay but cross-species gay! Velma from "Scooby-Doo." A butch prototype! Zoiks! Batman and Robin. A man and a boy wearing skin-tight costumes and staying out all night together? I can't believe I didn't see it for what it was."

Basically, they're saying that two people of the same gender cannot be friends--or enemies?

So, question is, what do you think about the current media onslaught of trying to appoint everything in the entertainment industry as being "gay?"

Me? Well, unless I'm just stupid, there are way too many people with too much time on their hands so that they can attack cartoons instead of working to help feed starving neighbors and/or improve the living conditions and treatment of old people in nursing homes. Except for focus group leaders I don't have time to slam anybody because when I'm not working at work, I'm working at volunteering with a childrens' charity (you all know about it). Whether it's just plain citizens barking about cartoons or religious leaders howling at Teletubbies and Muppets, I feel it's an injustice to characterize every little thing as "gay"--not to mention that it's insulting to my friends who ARE gay that suddenly folks are using the term 'gay' as a means to try to 'down' something good.

Heck, my gay friends are some of the nicest folks I know--and even over my family members I have chosen to maintain my friendships with 'em because they are kind and caring, unlike my closed-minded redneck chicken-chasing cousins (who pick on me even because I draw cartoons and perform puppets and don't, unlike them, have children sired all over N Mississippi, get hooked on drugs and alcohol, and have a jail record--the clod-hoppers!).

Finally, and personally, I think it's simply loser jerks who are sitting at home wanting their own 15 minutes of fame so these Bozos start picking through the purest form of entertainment and finding ways to attack it, because everybody listens when you start attacking cartoons (not that many will pay attention to the idiots starting these "focus groups").

Sometimes, I wish I could create a focus group that was against focus groups!!

Whatchoo thinkin'?

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
I'll sign on! People who say that cartoon characters are gay are gay. Just kidding, but this needs to stop. The Newsweek Report, by Andy Borowitz, is apparently a satire, it says so at the top. However, the second link seems very serious. Perhaps the Newsweek piece is making fun of the Flint Journal piece.
These focus group leaders have way too much time on their hands and are picking the wrong battles. I have guy friends that I hang out with. I'm married to a woman, my guy friends are straight. Am I gay because I hang out with guy friends? Apparently so, because guys can't hang out with one another without having homosexual feelings for one another. Same with my wife and her female friends. Also, when my hunting friends go hunting and track deer looking for a "buck" to "mount", they must be inter-species gay just like Tom and Jerry and Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner. When I shower, I must be gay because I don't wear pants. In that case, my wife must be gay too. I'm a gay man married to a lesbian.

Personally, I feel that too much attention is being focused on the gay "issue". Gay marriage, gays in the military, gay Scout leaders, gays on television. There are bigger fish to fry in this world, give it a rest. I especially draw the line when they bring the Muppets into it (from the Flint Journal piece, the one that I think is quite serious):

"# James Dobson, conservative author and commentator of "Focus on the Family" fame, who recently shined the long overdue spotlight of righteousness upon SpongeBob SquarePants, who not only has a suspiciously long nose and likes to hang out - a bit too much, if you ask us - with a pink, shirtless starfish named Patrick, but who also, according to Dobson, will appear in an upcoming "pro-homosexual video" aimed at children.
OK, to be "fair," I guess we need to point out that the video, containing such known deviants as the Muppets and Barney, the purple dinosaur, is intended to teach kids the value of tolerance and contains no reference whatsoever to gay rights or sexual orientation. But still."

What??!! No references to anything gay, but the video is gay. Way to back up a statement, genius. And how exactly are the Muppets "known deviants"? Kermit, Fozzie, Sam and others don't wear pants...oh yeah, they're definitely gay. Give me a break. Tolerance is a gay attribute, apparently. Definitely sign me up for a focus group against focus groups. We'll prove that they are all un-American terrorists who are French and worship Satan and rape insects.

Luke

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
it seems that even the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote are having an affair
I knew it! Suspected em all along! :stick_out_tongue:

Nah, seriously. I agree with ya Kevin. There should definitely be a focus group against stupid focus groups!

Censored

Reaction score
Well, the song did say, "You'll have a gay old time."

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
OK, let's hear from an actual homosexual. Really, this stuff isn't at all insulting. It's just...there are no words to describe the patheticness of it all (oh, pathetic would be relatively appropriate!!)

Seriously, Fred and Barney....

a) Had wives
b) Never suggested any homosexuality

I mean the Flinstones and Sesame Street were all I watched when I was a kid and did I turn out gay....? Oh, yes. Well- scratch that...

Spongebob isnt gay either. This entire thing is just insane. Spongebob has a long nose. Yes that obviously means he's banging the whole of Bikini Bottom in his spare time. Fred and Barney didn't wear pants (besides they wore really long shirts which are kinda like dresses) so that obviously means they're sneaking a look at every chance. Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner chase each other round, that obviously means they're doing each other. Bert and Ernie live together; that obviously means they're gay-- BAN THEM! Ban them all!!! In fact, why not ban all TV, in case some groups find something gay about that. The box is square, until it is rounded it is obvious we're living in a gay world. But what if something found in the street is found to be gay- BAN WALKING ON THE STREET. What about something in your house? PEOPLE SHOULD LIVE IN WHITE ROOMS WITH NO FURNITURE AND NO HOMOSEXUAL DISTRACTIONS! But what if white is the new pink? And the perpetual list continues!

And furthermore, what would be wrong with Fred and Barney being gay. I'm sure Wilma would have something to say on the matter, but I wouldnt. Pebbles might be a bit screwed up, but....let's use a different example!

The video with Spongebob isn't actually pro-gay; but so what if he was. Kids are being brought up in a world where it's OK to shun homosexuality and they shouldnt!! Because people are suffering due to narrow-mindedness, and it's wrong. Even furthermore, if a kid suddenly realises they are gay- they shouldnt have to be ashamed of it. People like the guys in these groups are hurting people- and it needs to be stopped

(As Comic Book Guy would say "Longest Post Ever!")

BornBlue

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure both of the links posted above are satire in obvious reaction to the completely absurd accusations against Sponge Bob.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Well, the song did say, "You'll have a gay old time."
Gay never meant a homosexual, it meant being HAPPY. It's kind of unfortunate that the term is used solely to describe homosexuals now, because you can't use it as a term for being happy anymore. Also, count me in for a focus group against focus groups.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
People that constantly go around calling people, characters or anything else have problems. They should go and get a job and get a life, do something constructive with their time.

These days it doesnt matter if someone is gay or not so is it really worth pointing out? and its just stupid to do it with characters that arent real! Would it be wrong if they were gay?

practicecactus

Reaction score
"you know ,I heard a rumour, that bert and Ernie..are actually straight!"