Flaunt it 2008, Muppet-Styled Humour

Skekayuk

Reaction score
Sometimes in these days where so called comedy seems to contain so much smut, obscenity, and violence, it can make one long for the good clean innocent harmless fun of things like The Muppets, and Morecombe and Wise. Where jokes would so often be based around innocent “misunderstandings” which would then have to be acted out.
For example on The Muppet Show you would having running gags about Guest stars “Not” doing a certain number of sketch.
Or Stadler And Waldof having miss-heard the number of the Guest Star saying (in the Giest Stars hearing) that he’s “the worst performer on earth”.
Or Piggy demanding to star in some supposedly big sketch, without realising how unglamorous the role really is.
Or because they couldn’t get the rights for some finale music, they do the scene with different songs
Or Piggy trying to pack a suitcase of evening dresses for a trip to the swamp...
Or Fozzie thinking he’s introducing a Country singer when the guest star turns out to be an Opera Singer....

Sometimes one wonders if this kind of humour still exists?

Fortunately last Thursday, at a charity event for TheatreMAD, I found very definite proof that this kind of loveable silly jolly humour is alive and out there....
I went to see an event called Flaunt It 2008, it was a late night fundraising show which as it’s own publicity states:

“Flaunt It follows one simple rule: boys sing girls songs and girls sing boys songs.”

The sings may be dressed in evening dress, or casual (particularly since many of them had come straight from doing West End shows), at any rate very much “concert” style. Apart from minor embellishments such as a hat or an umbrella costumes and props were meant to be generally absent, and no one was in drag. However two of the performers apparently “misunderstood” the concept of the show, and elected to get dressed up in costume, complete with wigs, and a fake moustache. As Richard Gauntlett who was compeering said “I think far from misunderstanding, perhaps they understood it too well”.
I couldn’t help feeling that perhaps this peculiar performance was proof that the style of humour so characterised by The Muppets is very much still here.

Best Wishes
Emma

http://www.qsulis.demon.co.uk/Website_Louise_Gold/Flaunt_It_2008_Review.htm

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
All-Right! Glad to know that kind of humor is still around and thriving!

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Thats great! I swear I cant say anything without someone making it dirty. Like on friday I was talking about lightsabers (long story) and somehow my friend took it really nasty.

Its not even humor thats dirty nowadays. Its seems like people make anything dirty.

its nice to see there are people whos version of humor is just being goofy instead of nasty

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Thats great! I swear I cant say anything without someone making it dirty. Like on friday I was talking about lightsabers (long story) and somehow my friend took it really nasty.

Its not even humor thats dirty nowadays. Its seems like people make anything dirty.

its nice to see there are people whos version of humor is just being goofy instead of nasty
Hehehe. I can't take this comment seirously with "Lightsabers" involved

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
someone had brought a lightsaber to school and was swinging it around and smacking people with it. Thats how the whole conversation got started...