Favorite Non-Henson Puppets?

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Oh yeah, can't believe I forgot about the puppets from Pee-Wee's Playhouse, I loved that show as a kid.
Me too! :smile:
That show was so fun when everyone screamed when anyone said the secret word. I used to tape it on Adult Swim and watch it the next day.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Look, it's not like I'm trying to step on anyone's toes, I just didn't know there was already a similar thread, which hasn't been posted in for two years. I don't think there's anything wrong with identical threads, provided they're not created around the exact same time. How many "Who's Your Favorite Muppet?" threads do we have in the Muppets section? Anyway, this thread is "Favorite Non-Henson Puppets," while the older thread is "Favorite Non Henson Puppets & Puppeteers," so there's a major difference right there. To draw a parallel, it's like a "Favorite Book" thread vs. "Favorite Book & Author Thread," or a "Favorite Movie Thread" vs. "Favorite Movie & Director" thread. As I said, I didn't know an older similar thread existed, and if it's deemed too similar to the old thread, the mods can always delete it, as they tend to do with similar thread.

Anyway, I always thought the puppets from Puppetmaster had awesome designs, even thought the movies are crazy terrible (1 & 2 pretty much have the same ending). Always liked Blade the best. I wouldn't mind if a more competent studio that isn't Full Moon were to do a good remake.

Erine81981

Reaction score
1. Eureeka's Castle - Love the show watched it every morning during Summer Vacation. Loved all the specials. I thought it was so cool that Pizza Hut had those hand puppets. I only had Magellon and Eureeka but never Batly and wanted him baddly.
2. MSTK - Those were my first type of puppets were seen that weren't made from what i've always seen characters made from; foam. I always wanted to write and draw a picture to the show but never got a chance. But a great show. Been buying all the DVDs when i can or if i can find them.
3. Puppetmasters - Another good bunch of puppet characters. Now the first 5 movies to me are the best ones. Most of the others are ok but don't live up to the first 5. My problem for the newer ones are that they don't use the stop motion stuff. That's what made it for me for all the others.
4. Under the Umbrella Tree - Good characters and awsome writers on that show. Only was able to watch it when we would get Disney Free Preview. I think that someone who worked on Sesame Park was the puppeteer of the girl golpher. Can't remember the puppeteer's name.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Under the Umbrella Tree! It's been SO LONG since I've seen that one. I definitely didn't watch it as much as The Muppet Show or Eureeka's Castle, but I remember it nonetheless. There was a lizard and a bird, can't remember what the 3rd puppet was. I also remember watching the Letter People on TLC every once in a while. Those were VERY crude and basic puppets, but they had their charm.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'll ask the judges where "The Puzzle Place" falls. Not a Henson-sanctioned production, but performed by Muppeteers on hiatus from Sesame Street.

Still a fine outing for Jim Martin, Noel MacNeal, Peter Linz, and Carmen Osbahr.
Even picked up an Emmy or two.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Under the Umbrella Tree! It's been SO LONG since I've seen that one. I definitely didn't watch it as much as The Muppet Show or Eureeka's Castle, but I remember it nonetheless. There was a lizard and a bird, can't remember what the 3rd puppet was. I also remember watching the Letter People on TLC every once in a while. Those were VERY crude and basic puppets, but they had their charm.
It was a girl golpher. The characters include Holly (a human), Iggy (an iguana), Jacob (a Blue Jay), and Gloria (a gopher). The show's title is derived from the fact that the characters live together in a home featuring a prominent indoor umbrella tree.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I'll ask the judges where "The Puzzle Place" falls. Not a Henson-sanctioned production, but performed by Muppeteers on hiatus from Sesame Street.

Still a fine outing for Jim Martin, Noel MacNeal, Peter Linz, and Carmen Osbahr.
I was definitely going to say the Puzzle Place. When I was about 8-11, I was so into that show, merchandise included.

Scooterforever

Reaction score

As long as the puppets themselves weren't built by Henson's & co. they're still "Non-Henson" puppets, even if they're performed by people who worked on Sesame Street.

I like Spitting Image, I'll probably get it on DVD at some point. I don't get much of the political humor, since I didn't live in Britain in the 80's, but in that respect it's like a fun history lesson.