Elmo's World-free episodes don't go over

ssetta

Reaction score
Okay, as some of you may already know, there were two episodes this season (Season 38) that did NOT have Elmo's World. And I'm sure a lot of you were very excited, including myself. But apparently, it didn't go over. Those shows were tested with preschoolers, and when they watched it, they were all like "Where's Elmo's World? Where is it?" And they didn't like it. So, it doesn't look like they will be doing it again. At least, that's what I was told. So, I mean, it's good for the kids, but not for us classic fans.:frown: It's a bit of a shame, since I was really hoping for it.

Erine81981

Reaction score
That really isn't a surprise by me. I kept thinking that this won't even go over with kids now a days. But maybe we'll get something for us fans of the older days. It does make me mad that two episodes were made like that and then when kids are to watch it they hate it because of Elmo's World isn't there.

But we do know that Sesame Street isn't made for us fans of the older days but for children that are learning to count, learn their alphabet and other stuff but we all know that we would love to see the older show come back with newer shows but be the same as it was.

But in my mind i have hopes for Sesame Street in the future. So heres for you Sesame Street. Keep up all the good shows you've made over so many years. :smile: :stick_out_tongue:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Elmo has brain-washed out children! AAHHHHHHHHH! ! !

Just joking, lol!

Anyway, I guess most children of the world still love Elmo right now... who knows, maybe one day kids actually might find themselves being appealed by someone else, like maybe Abby Cadabby, or Big Bird again...

MrsPepper

Reaction score
If children miss Elmo, they should bring him back. He annoys hardcore fans like ourselves because a) we didn't grow up with him, and b) the whole avoidance of personal pronouns thing. BUT the children of today ARE growing up with him, so of course they would be scandalized if he is gone. If Sesame Workshop thinks that Elmo actually helps kids learn, which they seem to, then he should stay regardless of whether we like him or not.

ssetta

Reaction score
I never said that they should get rid of Elmo altogether. And they wouldn't get rid of Elmo's World either. They just wouldn't have it in EVERY show. It was something they were going to work towards, and apparently, it was a failure. However, I wonder if this means that they will either take the 2 EW-less episodes out of the rotation, OR, they could edit them and put EW in them.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I don't mind if they keep Elmo's World on, I understand that kids enjoy it and that's fine. It's more how they remove the other characters that bothers me. The solution shouldn't be to cut out Elmo completely either, there should be a way to combine the old and new. To be honest, even if Elmo's World is popular, I don't believe it's as helpful to children. Elmo was a better character when he played off of the older characters.

I think Sesame Street is sort of suffering from being a "broken home", the way the Muppets are. All the pieces aren't there anymore. I think things can improve, but it will take time.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I never said that they should get rid of Elmo altogether. And they wouldn't get rid of Elmo's World either. They just wouldn't have it in EVERY show. It was something they were going to work towards, and apparently, it was a failure. However, I wonder if this means that they will either take the 2 EW-less episodes out of the rotation, OR, they could edit them and put EW in them.
I'm with you Ssetta. I don't want kids to not get to watch Elmo's World. I just want to have a little more episodes just like the two that were made in this years season. I like Elmo.

There are sometimes tho i would love to see some street scenes with Ernie and Bert or Grover and Herry maybe. And i would love to see a whole episode with Ernie, Bert, Grover, Herry, Cookie, Zoe, Elmo, Murray, Big Bird, Snuffy, Telly, Rostia, Baby Bear, Abby, Oscar and others too. Or just a mix.

Have Ernie come out and play with Grover or have Herry come out and have a day with Rostia and Abby. At least mix some older characters with some newer characters too. I've seen Zoe and Herry used together. Grover and Elmo before. Rosita and Herry.

But i really can't care less whatever happens. I know that we the fans love what we grew up with and kids today will proubley grow up enjoying what they grew up with. So whatever happens to Sesame Street as i've said before i hope it's still around when i have kids. (if i ever find a girl)

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly don't want to say that we were naive to think that this was going to work, but....
feel free to stop me, cuz you know where this is going.

If children miss Elmo, they should bring him back. He annoys hardcore fans like ourselves because a) we didn't grow up with him, and b) the whole avoidance of personal pronouns thing. BUT the children of today ARE growing up with him, so of course they would be scandalized if he is gone. If Sesame Workshop thinks that Elmo actually helps kids learn, which they seem to, then he should stay regardless of whether we like him or not.
Firstly, I DID grow up with Elmo, but he wasn't all over the place. he was a popular character, sure. But he wasn't that big. It's not that I hate the character. I like Elmo. But not how they use him. I've said it before and I will say it again. I love Winne The Pooh, in reguards to the classic animated short films and the "New Adventures" cartoon. But I HATED when Disney exploited the character, and shoved him into everything to the point they weren't even making Mickey Mouse merchandise anymore. And Donald Duck? Forggeddaboudit!

Elmo has every right to be on SS and interact with the characters. But Elmo's world... well..

I don't mind if they keep Elmo's World on, I understand that kids enjoy it and that's fine. It's more how they remove the other characters that bothers me. The solution shouldn't be to cut out Elmo completely either, there should be a way to combine the old and new. To be honest, even if Elmo's World is popular, I don't believe it's as helpful to children. Elmo was a better character when he played off of the older characters.
I couldn't agree more. Unless the kids are 2. And even then it can't be beneficial because they don't take anything out of it until they are 3. Elmo's World seems to me nothing more than an excuse to have cashed in off the character's popularity at the time. Unfortunately it stuck. I feel deep down, SW wants to keep us happy, even though we are not their target audience. They wanted to try it, and it failed. I give them that credit. But the kids just want what they want, beneficial or not, it has to stay.

I've been lobbying for years that EW becomes its own sepperate show, while SS keeps its hour long run time. EW seems completely different from the show. It doesn't mesh well with the rest of the show.

And I do agree we need to focus on more characters. I thought there was an appauling lack of Big Bird. Unless that's somehow on Carol or Matt's end (unavailability?), I was a little disappointed. We still get some great stuff with Telly and Baby Bear. And we finally got to see Abby really interract with the cast. But We really didn't have much of Ernie, much less Bert. Not too many new segments with Cookie. And we haven't had a Grover episode since last year.

Then of course, a lot of other characters were lost due to the fact they were going in a direction that favored more filmed segments featuring real kids (used and new) this season. I really hope that tested poorly too.

ssetta

Reaction score
I actually somewhat like them using live-action films. Because some of the ones that were used this season have not been used in years. (Some of them hadn't even been used since Elmo's World debuted!) But I do agree that we didn't see as much of the older characters this season.

But anyway, about Sesame Workshop not caring about us classic fans…I mean, they ARE doing those Old School box sets and stuff. Doesn't that count? Well, it does. I guess it's just that we want MORE than that.