Early Reports: Looks like Muppets will be #2 (next to Twilight)

robodog

Reaction score
My theory is that people are having seizures at Twilight because their brain is rejecting the stupidity they're trying to forcefeed it by watching the thing.

Kelly

Reaction score
I think Twilight is just a fad, I don't think it has staying power like The Muppets do as someone else said. I don't think anything could have beat Twilight at this point in time except maybe a Harry Potter movie.

beaker

Reaction score
Well folks, let's put it this way....in the world of online critic polling where they take all the professional critic reviews of any given movie and attribute a score to it. Let's see where Twilight vs the Muppets stands:

Twilight: 27%

Muppets: 98%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

That means if you take all of the reviews of critics in the world, Twilight only gets a beynd laughable 27%...Muppets gets an Oscar contender, near perfect 98%.

Now look at the faces of people coming out of each movie...and see which ones are more satisfied with spending their $10 bucks. I notice a lot of the Twilight viewer females I saw seeing that movie kind of reflect the cold, un-fun vibe Kristen Stewart provides in spades...whereas people going to see the Muppets when they come out are all animated and Walter like.

Also, who has the front page domination with features, specials, etc on Rotten Tomatoes? The Muppets, with a big Jim Henson retrospective. The other BIG movie site, Aint It Cool News, has exhaustively been covering the Muppets. They refuse to even talk about Twilight.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well folks, let's put it this way....in the world of online critic polling where they take all the professional critic reviews of any given movie and attribute a score to it. Let's see where Twilight vs the Muppets stands:

Twilight: 27%

Muppets: 98%

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/

That means if you take all of the reviews of critics in the world, Twilight only gets a beynd laughable 27%...Muppets gets an Oscar contender, near perfect 98%.
Quality doesn't matter when something's a fad. I think by now everyone who was going to see Twilight saw it by now. It has a fan base that sorta doesn't care the movies suck, or that the acting's wooden, or that Kristen Stewart is just terrible. But let's not forget, there are also those who choose to spend the 10 bucks to see it ironically.

While Twi is slightly cutting into The Muppets' B.O. it's more a question of CGI Christmas claptrap that's holding back the true potential. Twi was going to be number one no matter what (and, again I must stress, Muppets doesn't have nearly the worldwide release Twi has...yet), but it's those other films that families go to that are the strong competition. And so far (unless I hear any different), the Muppets are doing better than those other ones. I forsee TRU spending the next 3 years clearing out Arthur Christmas and Happy Feet 2 toys, like they're the Planet 51 figures that no one wants.

So far, the Muppets have to finish reporting the rest of the Weekend, then the European Box Office, then the DVD sales to show how successful it really is.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
These big movie franchise fads are always so funny. As soon as the movies are over the fan base will dwindle to a couple of pathetic fan fictions and the occasional "Where Are They Now?'s" in Entertainment Weekly. Always has happened, always will. :wink:

12Medbe

Reaction score
......(In Animal voice) BEAT Twilight! Beat Twilight!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I think I read that it's official... Muppets opened 2nd, and had over 40 Million. The rest of the kiddy fare didn't even get near that far.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Los Angeles Times & Variety are predicting The Muppets to take the #1 spot from Twilight this week.

zoebell

Reaction score
yeah, that shocks me actually. it got such a high cinemascore.

i have to say, it must have something to do with the fact that most of the audience last week was adults. family movies need the repeat business that comes from kids.

if it was mostly adults who saw the movie, they won't be repeating much. maybe kids didn't latch on to it like we thought they would