D'Snowth's Unfinished Thoughts... on LIFE...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sort of ressurrecting this concept that I started, perhaps five years ago or so, where I try to be all philisophical, and delve into matters that I like to share my thoughts on (IIRC, the original concept was spoofing"Donal Louge's Unfinished Thoughts" from VH1's I Love the Holidays, whcih also featured Stephanie D'Abruzzo, as well as Weird Al's thoughts on random holidays too). I don't know, I guess I just feel "opinionated" lately (uh oh, "opinionated" people are scary... just ask Don Henley... :eek:)... but anyway, here's my topics for today...

You know, here a few weeks ago, monster storms came through town, and knocked out power for a lot of people, including me for about ten hours or so... in listening to the radio, mostly to keep getting updates to the power situation, I ended up hearing The John Tesh Radio Show being simulcast on B 97.5. Now here's a guy who offers up some interesting insight on different subjects and such, and what he had to say that night really made me think to myself, "That makes so much sense!" That night, he had a list of three reasons why women tend to rush into marriage, even if they may actually think their man is NOT their Mr. Right, and they all seem to have a common thread running through them; his reasonsing were...

1. The whole "biological clock" thing: as time ticks by, and a woman sees she's in her 30s, almost 40s, still hasn't gotten married and such, etc, she may become desperate enough to walk down the altar with any Tom, Dick, or J. Edgar who may see her.
2. Babies: because most, if not all, women just absolutely live to want to have babies.
3. "Cinderella Syndrome": in other words, some women simply want to experience being swept off her feet by a prince charming, and the two of them will live their happily ever after, the end.

It all makes sense to me. The way I see it, from a man's perspective anyway, that most women are "fooled by fairy tales". What's a "hopeless romantic" exactly? Isn't that someone who feels the only thing important in life is love? If that's what a hopeless romantic is, then I'd say almost all women are those, and again, it seems to be because they believe in those fairy tales: that love is like waiting for your prince charming to sweep you off your feet, and it will lead to that perfect happily ever after, when in fact, that ain't the way it happens at all. They say women mature and "wise-up" quicker than men do, but they still seem to reserve some sense of naivitee, and dare I say, cock-eyed optimism, when it comes to matters of the heart. I believe it was even heralde who once said that love is often overly romanticized anyway... as a guy, I don't usually read romance novels, watch romantic comedies or chick flicks (I DO admit that 13 Going on 30 is a guilty pleasure), although I'm sure most of the people who write those novels and scripts and such may have drawn from past experiences, I'm sure the overall story is probably overly fictionalized, stylized, and like heralde says, romanticized, to the point that it's mostly an unrealistic portrayal.

Now, I'm not saying that's how ALL women are, because on the contrary, I do know a number of women who do know better than to rely on blind faith in fairy tales, because they've experienced what love in the real world is really like, and have gone through such things as bad relationships, nasty breakups, leeriness of "new guys", etc. But, at the same time, I also know some women whom have jumped at the chance at someone asking them out, even if that was the very first time they had ever met.

And, I just can't resist that old Hawkeye Pierce quote: "Without love, what are we worth? 89 cents! 89 cents' worth of chemicals walking around sad and lonely."

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------------------------
Check the inflation. Gold is up, and we do have a little gold in us, as well as other rare minerals. Gotta be more than 89 cents now.

D'Snowth...I am trying hard to restrain the urge to snap here. I realize you weren't trying to be provocative (at least, I HOPE that's the case), but quoting Tesh...who quotes the worst sort of pop psychology tripe? Really?

His quoted "reasons" are absolute balderdash. Are those perhaps reasons SOME women rush into marriage when they suspect the match isn't a good one? Possibly. I would argue the ECONOMY is the biggest single reason for bad marriages...followed closely by "the kid(s) need(s) a father." NOT some overromanticized "ideal true love" wish or hope. The only ladies I've ever seen who still take that silly Prince Charming outlook into a marriage tend to be young, undereducated, and unrealistic about LIFE in general, not simply love!

And for the record, most women do NOT "absolutely live to have babies" -- what a dark-ages outlook! Women as baby machines! Do many want kids? Sure. And many also realize that a mate who will parent the kids properly is the most important factor in that equation...not whether the guy brings her roses just because!

I'll leave it there.
-------------------------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, heh, I'll say this. There's nothing wrong with a woman saying her most important ambition is to have a family. I mean when men say it, we call them sweet and sensitive. So why can't a woman say it? It doesn't mean she doesn't want a career. Just that she wants a balance between professional and personal life, which is pretty smart to me. :wink:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------------------------------
Of course there's nothing wrong with that. But assuming that most DO, and further assuming they'll get into a bad marriage because of it, is insulting to the entire gender.
-----------------------------------------

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Of course there's nothing wrong with that. But assuming that most DO, and further assuming they'll get into a bad marriage because of it, is insulting to the entire gender.
Well I have seen it happen, though certainly not to "all women." A lot of young girls do have an idealized idea of what a marriage should be and ignore the warning signs when the wrong guy comes around.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
-----------------------------
I fully believe there should be couples classes AND parenting classes, MANDATORY to all no matter race, class, gender, orientation, etc!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Plus everyone talks about how some women are naive, but what about the men that let them down? I'm generalizing here but a lot of men aren't taught to have anything resembling compassion for women. Or they are showered with praise at far too young an age which leads to an overblown ego. It has been postulated for instance that Charlie Sheen might have been a "sweeter person" if he hadn't had so much success at such a young age.

newsmanfan

Reaction score
--------------------------
Enough ignorance to go around for everyone. Yayyyy!

--------------------------

newsmanfan

Reaction score
*Newsie warily eyes the Snowth stirring the ol' pot*

MahnaMahna: Mahna mahna?
Newsie: Shhh...I don't think he's done yet.
*putting raincoat on and getting out umbrella just in case*

---------------------------------