differences between bedtime Stories/ Sleepytime Songs

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have read that Sony Wonder re-released the 1986 video Bedtime Stories and Songs with a different title, Sleepytime Songs and Stories, as well as with a few differences. I have read that some segments were replaced and that it included a somewhat different version of Everybody Sleeps. What other segments were replaced?

I am guessing that it had a different title sequence. Did it have a different closing credits sequence as well (if you have seen Sleepytime Songs And Stories but not Bedtime Stories And Songs, the original closing credit sequence was the shot of an illustrated Cookie Monster holding a chalkboard that was used in most of the other videos from the My Sesame Street Home Video series, including Learning About Letters and The best of Ernie and Bert)?

The only segment that I can think of that could have been edited is The King And His Problem, because it is a skit from the very early seventies featuring Maria, and Sesame Workshop tends to avoid showing really old segments with human cast members on the show. But that wouldn't make too much sense. Other videos with cast members who look way younger and more different were re-released and unaltered. Gina's scenes are still included in The best of Ernie and Bert, Dance Along, and Rock & Roll, and she looked very different back then compared to now. Also, it's weird that this was the only video that had a title change when it was re-released. What's up with that?

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Bedtime Stories and Songs:
Big Bird intro - how to lie down in a nest
Ernie and Bert "Dance Myself to Sleep"
Big Bird tries to count sheep with the Honkers
The Count counts sheep in Bert's bed
Honker baby and Big Bird are asleep
Grover under the covers pretending to be on the moon
Telly wakes up Big Bird and starts piling on the stuffed animals
Cookie Monster "If Moon Was Cookie"
Telly finishes filling Big Bird's nest with stuffed animals, and Big Bird & Telly fall asleep
Maria reads the story of "The King's Problem"
Gordon & Snuffy do "The Snuffle Lullaby"
Buster the Horse falls asleep standing up while Susan watches from her window
"Everybody Sleeps" (old footage)
Ernie and Bert "Imagination"
Big Bird is temporarily awake, then falls back asleep

Sleepytime Songs and Stories:
Grover is replaced with a colorful cartoon; it sounds like Farley is singing a song called "The Moon Shines"
Maria's story is replaced with a cartoon (intro'd by Maria [voice only], but told by Ozzie Davis) about "How the Sun and the Moon Came to Live in the Sky"
"Everybody Sleeps" (new footage)

Both credit sequences at the end are on the blackboard held by Cookie Monster, but are slightly different (Ozzie Davis is credited at the end of Sleepytime Songs and Stories).

Also, "Imagination" is the original version on both tapes, with Jim Henson & Frank Oz performing Ernie and Bert.