Dark Crystal Sequel on Hiatus Was A Rumor

Phloyd456

Reaction score
Well I am relieved sorr for scaring everyone like that I'm quite shocked because I trut the site that it came from. I will be more careful next time. BTW, this is a reason why they should open a website with official updates about the film. Things like this wouldn't happen lol. :excited:

JMPrater

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo,

I'm not sure who sent you that statement but I have a rebuttle of sorts.

First of all, I am very happy that the rumors are false in regards to the supposed "cancellation" of the film. My contention is that we, the fans need to receive more information on the film itself....an official site needs to open, if even in preliminary stages. Start up a contest, pre-production photos, puppet "making-ofs" Brian Froud's concept designs etc...

There is no other film I am looking forward to more then this. I've already made room on my shelf for the DVD, the coinciding "making of" book etc...[haha, not really]. In all seriousness however, the ball needs to start rolling. At the moment there have only been vague hints and a 1-2 photos featuring Jen & Kira. Is it too much to ask for more then scraps?

J.M. Prater

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
You have to keep in mind the film is almost 16 months away from release. They haven't even started physical production. There are many films that will be released much sooner (like in the next 3-4 months) that the studios haven't even said a word on (aside from the initial announcement). Take for example Disney's big "Pirates of the Caribbean III" - it is due out in May (just 3 months from now) and there hasn't been a website, a trailer or really any information released on the film (and its supposed to be one of the big summer blockbusters). Many other films due out after it have had trailers out for months (some even a year before release). Yes, some studios spoil fans with information and keep them in the loop from conception to release. And some studios like to keep things "under wraps" until they are solidified. Personally, I would love to see a site with regular updates (photos, production blogs, filming updates, interviews etc.), but I also understand Henson wanting to focus their attention and resources towards making the film rather than spending resources on releasing publicity updates so far in advance. If by the end of the year (or even by the end of the summer) we haven't heard anything more I would be concerned - but at this point it still is very early for a studio, and even the media, to be focused on that stuff (unless it is a huge blockbusting highly-anticipated movie – like Star Wars, The Chronicles of Narnia, Spiderman or The Lord of the Rings) - wait until they move out of pre-production before getting overly anxious for information releases.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Lisa Henson (producer of Power of the Dark Crystal and co-CEO of the Jim Henson Company) gave this statement earlier today:

"The Jim Henson Company remains committed to producing 'Power of the Dark Crystal'. The film has not been 'cancelled' or 'put on hiatus' or any of the other rumored status changes that have been floating around. This film is an ambitious undertaking for us and it continues to move forward...We are grateful to the fans who support 'Power of the Dark Crystal' and we are excited to make this new chapter in the Dark Crystal story a reality."

A 2008 release is still the plan, but keep in mind the original took 5 years to complete - so far they've been working on the sequel for just over one year.

More information:
- http://muppetnewsflash.blogspot.com/2007/02/power-of-dark-crystal-update.html
- http://powerofthedarkcrystal.blogspot.com/

JMPrater

Reaction score
The anticipation is certainly building and near a boiling point. Can't wait to see more images. It would be nice if a few more images were released to keep the hope alive, lol.

J.M. Prater